• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

My 2012, adventurewise :)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Here’s what I played in 2012:

Botanicula – Lovely. Played it twice. I’m one of Amanita’s most devoted fans.
The Sea Will Claim Everything – Bought it after reading AG’s review. Unique indie game, enjoyed it a lot.
To the Moon – Hm. It’s okay, I guess. Hm. Don’t know.
Unmechanical – Beautiful puzzle game with great music. The puzzles are fun but not very original.
Deponia 1 and 2 – Both great “old-school” adventures. Bring on Deponia 3!
Resonance – Played twice. Need I say more.
Primordia – Good game. I was a bit disappointed that it didn’t quite live up to my high expectations. The colors, the retro look, Crispin… ?
Dear Esther – I don’t care if other people call it a game or not. It was the best emotional gaming experience for me this year.
The Stanley Parable – Free mod. Highly recommended.

Oldies:
Gray Matter (2010) – Played only the first chapter in 2010, finally finished it. Better than I thought, those cheap animations and awful cut scenes aside.
Creature Crunch (1996) – Silly and very short. Nice graphics. Forgettable fun.
Anchorhead (1998) – My only text adventure this year. I was blown away by the superb Lovecraftian atmosphere.

Replays:
Discworld Noir (1999) – Community playthrough. Absolutely marvellous.
The Space Bar (1997) – Another community playthrough. A game that separates the sheep from the goats (thank God for walkthroughs), but great fun. I’m one of the few people who have seen what a Kur’pupu really looks like. Smile

Work in progress:
Alt-Minds -  Still running. So far I like the game concept and the story. Inexpensive too, only 15 bucks for 8 weeks of daily fun.
Bientôt l’été  – Haven’t explored Tale of Tale’s new game multimedia experience much yet, but it looks goooood.
The Fool and His Money – Lovely puzzle game. The many word puzzles make it too hard for non-natives though.

I had a wonderful year and 2013 promises to be even better with all those Kickstarter adventures!
And how was your 2012?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

This year I finished:

- All 4 Blackwell games
- Legend of Zelda: Link to the past (DS)
- Gemini Rue
- Women’s Murder Club: Death in Scarlet
- Botanicula
- Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island
- Dear Esther
- Sam & Max Season 2
- Jolly Rover

and in non-adventures: Trauma Center, The world ends with you, Metroid Prime 3, Swords & Soldiers, A.R.E.S, Endless Space & Torchlight 2

Midway through 1893: A world’s fair mystery, Sherlock Holmes: Awakened, Runaway 2 & Kaptain Brawe. If I race, I might finish Kaptain Brawe this year Laughing

And there is also a big bunch of to-play games waiting in the queue for next year!! Gasp (Resonance & Primordia on the top of the queue).

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nice! I’ve focused more on playing older games, and I’m going to do the same in the near future it seems, as I definitely want to finish The Space Bar, A Vampyre Story, Keepsake… and play/replay some classics that will get sequels soon.

I’d say the biggest impression were The Black Mirror - not a perfect game, but one that hold my interest quite well; and two Sherlock Holmes Games - The Awakened and Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin - both of these games feature plenty of good lateral thinking puzzles, and I’m very glad I gave them a second chance.

Out of new games, I started Chains of Satinav - but I’m still not sure what to think of Daedalic’s hyper production lately.

I’ve finished JULIA - interesting, but too simple for its own good.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-12-24

PM

Hmm, this year I finished:

Machinarium
Heavy Rain
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
The Walking Dead
Dear Esther
Journey (if that counts as an adventure game)

I’ll probably finish Portal 2 before the end of the year as well.  Great game! Laughing

I also recently bought the Sierra Adventure Pack from GoG so I know what I’ll be playing next year! Smile

Recently played: Heavy Rain, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Last Spector, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Portal 2.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m not sure if I can remember all of them but here goes:
- Flight of the Amazon Queen (on the iPhone). That was a fun old game. The new interface they made for it to make it playable on the iPhone worked well IMO.
- Secret Files I.
- All Carol Reed games:
  Remedy
  Hope Springs Eternal
  Time Stand Still
  East Side Story
  Color of Murder
  Black Circle
  Blue Madonna
  Amber’s Blood
  I’m a big fan of these games because of their beautiful environments and tranguility.
- Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel. Great game with many funny red herrings.
- Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Rose Tattoo (thanks Fien!). This one was more complicated and I got confused over who was who in the game. So many characters!
- A New Beginning. The ending spoilt the game for me.
- Chains of Satinav. Good game but not outstanding.
- Secret of Monkey Island (iPad version). I had never played it before and it was great fun. “You fight like a dairy farmer!”
- The Pandora Directive. Still a brilliant game even though its graphics are quite outdated.
- Secrets of Da Vinci. Beautiful game. Unfinishable on the iPad though because there is a bug in one of the puzzles. So I had to buy it for the PC too.
- The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. Beautiful game with an interesting plot. The puzzles were a bit too easy though.
- Beneath a Steel Sky. Great game. Worked well on the iPad.
- Secrets of the Lost Cavern. I quit this game because of its terrible puzzles. There even was a Towers of Hanoi puzzle in it. Blech.
I vaguely seem to remember playing Riven and Exile too but that might have been in 2011.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

tsa - 27 December 2012 10:06 AM

Flight of the Amazon Queen (on the iPhone).

Didn’t you also play The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Serrated Scalpel?

Tongue

EDIT: Oops! I meant the Rose Tattoo.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Fien - 27 December 2012 10:11 AM
tsa - 27 December 2012 10:06 AM

Flight of the Amazon Queen (on the iPhone).

Didn’t you also play The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Serrated Scalpel?

Tongue

EDIT: Oops! I meant the Rose Tattoo.

LOL, I typed the first game, then thought: maybe there is a List function in the Advanced Edit mode, pressed Post, Edited my post and typed in the rest Smile. You are acknowledged! Wink

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

No love for The Dream Machine? I played a couple of chapters and it’s a delightful series. Strange games with a style reminiscent of The Dark Eye.

I’m slowly trying to catch up with recent adventures as I find the time. I’ve no complains whatsoever about Daedalic games, but so far my favorite is A New Beginning. Absorbing Sci-Fi story! Deponia is loads of fun, too.

Then, The Book Of Unwritten Tales. I’ve only played a couple of hours but so far it’s top-notch fantasy adventuring, if a tad derivative (who cares!). Resonance was amazing too and, of course, The Walking Dead is an incredible achievement. Finally, Dear Esther, though difficult to categorize, was like exploring a living painting. An experience unlike any other… Yeah, games can’t be art my arse.

It was a remarkable year for adventures alright, perhaps the best one in a long, long time! I did play several “mainstream” games as well, but I can say that without exception the most satisfactory and fun games were adventures.  I can’t remember when was the last time I could say that…

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Oh, those with an iPad should really check out The Room. It’s mostly a puzzle game but deviously difficult and very clever.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I have a terrible memory for these things, so even after looking through all the reminders I can think of (notebook, master list of all the adventure games I’ve played, Steam account, DOSBox folder, AGSD folder…) I may still be forgetting some things (especially among replays).

Space Quest: Incinerations – Very pleasantly surprised by this one, and I generally don’t like Space Quest
Stacking – Took a little while to really get into it, but great little game; I’ll have to replay it someday
The Walking Dead – Unforgettable emotional roller-coaster
MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst – I have a page of notes about this is my notebook dated May 12th, so I must have played it; can’t remember anything about it
Botanicula – More Samorost than Machinarium, so I didn’t love it, but still a pleasant distraction
Resonance – Brilliant game; best adventure gameplay in forever
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes – The best Frogwares SH game; stupid epilogue
Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward – My game of the year; totally worth getting a 3DS for it
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask – Probably the most polished gameplay of the series, story marred by horrible politics; still downloading and playing the daily puzzles
MacGuffin’s Curse – Fun for the first 30 minutes, but the lack of fresh gameplay mechanics as the game progresses makes it a chore to play beyond that
Primordia – Gameplay is a bit meh, but a lot of atmosphere

Oldies:
To the Moon (2011) – Nice
The Book of Unwritten Tales (2011) – Absolutely fantastic; I’ve bought The Critter Chronicles, just have to find some time for it
The Blackwell Legacy (2006) – An OK start for the series, I guess
Blackwell Unbound (2007) – Still OK, but not great; I’ll play through the rest of the series in 2013 I guess
Castle Adventure (1984) – Finally finished it after all these years
LA Noire (2011) – Ugh
Death Gate (1994) – My first Legend game! Loved it, though it did seem to run out a steam a bit in the later worlds
Secret Files: Puritas Cordis (2009) – Played this in anticipation of the third game; eminently mediocre (and didn’t buy the third game after the poor reviews)

Replays:
Conquests of the Longbow (1991) – For the 200th time; love love love that game
Loom (1990) – Went for the full nostalgia mode: EGA graphics, AdLib soundtrack; as Hetchel says: “Still beautiful”
Gray Matter (2010) – Still has weaknesses, but I liked it
Leisure Suit Larry 7 (1996) – Was looking for a pic for the AGSD, ended up replaying the whole thing; loved it, though I’m still not happy with some of the more misogynistic parts (especially that last puzzle)
Uru: Path of the Shell (2004) – Started replaying Uru last year, got tired of it after the awful To D’ni expansion; was reminded of it after posting about it in the AGSD and so finally replayed Path of the Shell
Turnabout Substitution (2011) – Posting about in for the AGSD made me want to replay it (do you see a theme here?); I had forgotten some of it, so it was fun; and still impressed that this is only a fan game

Work in progress:
Fahrenheit – Started a replay some time ago; need to get back to it
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav – The embodiment of mediocrity: not so bad that I won’t finish it, but I can’t play it for more than 30 minutes at a time because I get so bored
Cognition ep. 1 – Finally bought it yesterday; I’m really liking it for the moment

Wow! That’s a lot of games! Who knew? (I certainly didn’t.)

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I actually played a lot this year, including a bunch of classic games I hadn’t gotten around to before. I started off the year with The Book of Unwritten Tales and coincidentally I’m ending it with that too with The Critter Chronicles, that is if I can get my computer running again…Here’s a full list of the games I played

Skyrim - I actually played it for a few months before getting tired of it.
The Book of Unwritten Tales - Loved it
A New Beginning - Pretty good game, didn’t care for the ending though
The Gabriel Knight trilogy - Yes, I had never played these games before. I only watched my dad play the third one. I loved them all and I think the 2nd was my favorite. Although I missed Tim Curry of course.
Dragonsphere- Freebie on GOG. Loved the story and twist
Teen Agent - Another freebie. Enjoyed the cartoony humor
Botanicula - I was reluctant to play this since I found Machinarium too hard, but I really loved this one. It was a very cute and beautiful game. I just wish it was longer.
The Ballads of Reemus - Another great humorous game.
Day of the Tentacle(replay) - it was a while since I had played it last
Emerald City Confidential - I really liked this take on the Oz series
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (replay) - non-adventure, but so much fun
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 - They were pretty fun, but don’t hold a candle to the classic LucasArts
Gray Matter - Easily one of my favorite games of the year. 2012 made me a Jane Jensen fan. I enjoyed the story and the music. That ending though…
Deponia and Chaos on Deponia - These are also my favorites of the year. Rufus may be my new favorite game character. Even as a stupid asshole, you can’t help but love him.
Dark Fall: The Journal and Dark Fall: Lights Out - Nicely creepy and atmospheric without being too scary. I liked the time travel aspect of the second game.
Cognition Episode 1: The Hangman - I’m looking forward to the next episode. Animation was a little buggy though, so hopefully that will be fixed.

That was it. I played a casual game or two, but I won’t bother mentioning those.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I started taking notes on April so I might have forgotten something I played early in 2012.

The brilliant:
Replay of Discworld Noir (5+) which still holds its place as my favourite adventure for a reason.
Heavy Rain (5) Finally got myself a playstation and went for this one right away. And was it worth it! Played for 12 hours straight. So much improvement over Fahrenheit, really waiting for the next one now.
I didn’t finish L.A. Noire (5) yet but 30 hours deserves a grade already. Noir and detective work, you can’t really go wrong there.
All four Blackwell games (4-4.5) Great stuff. Retro style works but the gameplay and atmosphere are just amazing.
Also Resonance (4.5) and Gemini Rue (4.0) which were both great and both more like 4.25.

The great:
Yesterday (4) was also excellent, the best I’ve tried from Pendulo so far. It was kinda short but not too much.
Two episodes of Hector (4) which is really wacky and funny. I just don’t personally get so hooked on comedic adventures that I’d have to rush all the episodes through right away. So the third one is still waiting.
First episode of Cognition (4), very engaging and entertaining start with great music and puzzles. Will definitely buy the next episodes.
ARK episode 1 (4), a surprisingly good one. Nice mixture of wacky world and a mystery, with a protagonist lots of people seemed to dislike but I actually found her very good. Mostly good puzzles and a funny companion that is actually used on them.

The nice:
Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper (3.5), gave this one another try after quitting with it some time ago because of the plentiness of menial tasks at the beginning of the game (and for getting a huge Sherlock Holmes crush after watching BBC’s Sherlock). I found out that it was a nice game after all.
Dear Esther (3.5) was beautiful and eerie but I couldn’t get past the lack of interactivity. If it was a bit more of a game instead of “just” an experience I think I would have loved it.
WMC 2 - The Darker Shade of Gray (3.5), more of a casual but it was still nice.
Remedy - A Carol Reed Mystery (3.0), nice game but nothing terribly special. I will try another Carol Reed games in the future and this one already would have been 3.5 if it wasn’t also very short - more like an episode.

The mediocre:
AlternativA (2.5) had potential to be a good sci-fi thriller but it wasn’t very deep, the puzzles were boring (and some of them pretty damn illogical) and part of the voice acting was rather horrible.
Midnight Mysteries 1 (2.5) was a decent enough casual game but nothing to get excited about.

So pretty good stuff overall this year. I managed to pick some great games since I didn’t really start anything that I didn’t finish (other than a couple of casual ones that weren’t that bad but I think I got busy with WoW or Heroes or something).

Non-adventures:
Lots of WoW Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria, Fable III, Heroes VI.
Some Final Fantasy XIII, Witcher EE and Diablo 3.
All good stuff.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

All of them for the first time, I generally dont like to play anything twice, so -

- Runaway: A Twist of Fate
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - Amazing! Amazing! My instant favorite, its lenghty, funny and visually creative.
- Dear Esther - Big suprise, enjoyed and played it 3x times in a row Laughing
- Discworld Noir
- The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble
- John Saul’s Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure in Terror
- Botanicula
- Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
- Black Sect - Interesting little AGS remake. Could only recommend.
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
- Lost Horizon - Another great adventure, it has its flaws, but generally good (and best game from AArts).
- The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
- The Pandora Directive - Everyone here knows how good Pandora is.
- Secret Files 3
- Ib
- Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon - So far my favorite SQ.
- The Cat Lady - Too easy and short, but really well done.
- Psychic Detective - first “gem” from obscure adventures thread. And it was quite good (need to play it 2x or 3x times more! Tongue)

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m glad for all the love for Book of Unwritten Tales - it’s just that I gave an oath to finish the games I already started before tackling new ones. Although, I couldn’t resist and finished first couple of chapters.

Agustín Cordes - 27 December 2012 11:19 AM

No love for The Dream Machine?

I’ve finished the first episode - interesting, original and spooky. If I’m not mistaken, it’s the first adventure since Neverhood to use clay (and cardboard)?

Agustín Cordes - 27 December 2012 11:19 AM

I’ve no complains whatsoever about Daedalic games, but so far my favorite is A New Beginning. Absorbing Sci-Fi story!

I’d say The Whispered World is my fav, but I had good time with ANB as well - it’s mainly some aspects of the narrative and undefined side characters that I had minor gripes with, but still enjoyed it.

cwapitm - 27 December 2012 03:52 PM

II loved them all and I think the 2nd was my favorite. Although I missed Tim Curry of course.

2nd is my fav, too, but my situation is different - The Beast Within is the first one I’ve played, so I had troubles in accepting Curry’s voice. Grin

cwapitm - 27 December 2012 03:52 PM

Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 - They were pretty fun, but don’t hold a candle to the classic LucasArts

I don’t know - the humor in the second one is great Grin and even though they’re probably more similar to Discworld series, I’d still say they’re not far behind Lucas classics.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

This was a great year for adventure games for me. I played through a bunch of new games as well as some old ones.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective on the DS was really great. Missile was one of my favorite characters.
Maniac Mansion - I played the freeware AGS Deluxe edition and it was ok but it hasn’t held up as well as other LucasArts games have.
Day of the Tentacle. - This is the first time I have played the game through with voice. I had a stripped down DOS version that was probably pirated back in the day, but this was the official Day of the Tentacle CD-ROM that came in the LucasArts Archives Vol. I.
To the Moon - I loved the classic RPG graphics and can’t wait for the next one.

Wadjete Eye Games:
Emerald City Confidential - Crappy casual dumbing down couldn’t stop me from liking this story about Petra.
Resonance - Great characters and story, I loved trying to get the achievements in the game.
Primordia - Awesome atmosphere and yay for Crispin.

Daedalic Games:
A New Beginning - Awesome puzzles and a fun story about Climate Change is a game made for me.
Deponia and Chaos on Deponia - Fun series, even Rufus can be a little annoying but I did get a few chuckles.

The Journey Down: Chapter One - Reminds me of Full Throttle, Monkey Island and Grim Fandango, enough said. If all 4 episodes had been released this would be game of the year but as it is it was much too short.
Metal Dead - Finished this game in one sitting, a fun distraction.
Gray Matter - Awesome characters and story, I really hope we get the sequel from Pinkerton Road.
Stacking - Fun puzzles.

Some of my favorite moments in gaming this year actually occurred on the Nintendo 64, if you can believe it. After all these years I finally beat Goldeneye on 00 Agent and beat Pokemon Stadium 2 on Round 2 and beat the level 50 and 60 Battle Tower in Pokemon Crystal for the first time! In other non-adventure gaming I also played Max Payne for the first time and it was one of my favorite stories of the year because I am a sucker for noir.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Luckly i keep my finished adventures organized in folders by each year so i wont need to make an effort remembering what i did through the year, and i do rate them as well .

Yesterday _(2-5)
Treasure Island _(2-5)
The JourneyDown _(4-5)
Simon.the.Sorcerer5 _(2.5-5)
Nightlong _ (3.5-5)
Edna.and.Harvey.The.Breakout _(5-5)
Harvey New Eyes (4-5)
Deponia _(4-5)
Dark Eye Chains of Satinav _(4-5)
Chronicles of Mystery3 _(2-5)
Feeble Files _(4.5-5)
Art of Murder3 _(3-5)