• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Need help finding an old game! (and a general question)

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-12-19

PM

Hi, guys.

First of all, I must say it’s very sweet to see a forum dedicated to this wonderful genre. I just finished playing The Curse of Monkey Island with my girlfriend, and it brought back some memories. Seeing and reading about those good old adventure games is like stumbling into an ocean of nostalgia.

Anyhow. There was a game I played when I was quite young. I’m guessing it was released around 1997, since I must’ve been six or seven years old when I played it. As far as I can remember, it takes place in England, and the setting is similar to that of Sherlock Holmes. The graphics were also quite similar to Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge, but I believe it was point-and-click. I might be mistaken about this, but I believe you play as a detective, you have some sort of side-kick with you, and you’re investigating something. My father gave it to me, so it was not violent, graphic or anything like that. It was just fun and safe.
Anyone know what game this could’ve been?

On a final note, as I mentioned, I just finished Monkey Island 3. I would love to try out a game similar to it (2D, point and click). Any ideas? I’ll need the graphics to be atleast on par with MI3 Grin

Thank you!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The game you’re looking for could be Touche - The Adventures of the 5th Musketeer, you have a sidekick, the graphics is almost identical to MI2, but the setting is in France.

Or it may be The Gene Machine, it has the English Sherlock Holmesie setting and the sidekick, though the graphics is somewhat different from MI2. Both games are from around 96-97.

Curse of Monkey Island is a wonderful game, and my personal favourite! Smile If you’re looking for something similar, you may wanna check out Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. It’s made by Bill Tiller, the lead designer of Curse of MI. It has gorgeous handpainted backgrounds in HD, similar to the artstyle of CoMI.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Let’s go for the obvious one… you never know. Smile The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo. Released in 1996.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 12:50 AM

Let’s go for the obvious one… you never know. Smile The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo. Released in 1996.

Judging by this:

Xerces - 20 December 2012 12:03 AM

The graphics were also quite similar to Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

the obvious would be The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.
MI2 is not a FMV game (and Rose Tattoo is a FMV adventure).

It could also be Jack the Ripper (click it).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Gene Machine sounds about right.

zobraks - 20 December 2012 04:12 AM
Fien - 20 December 2012 12:50 AM

Judging by this:

Xerces - 20 December 2012 12:03 AM

The graphics were also quite similar to Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

the obvious would be The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel (1992).
MI2 is not a FMV game (and Rose Tattoo is a FMV adventure).

What is this then, PMV? (Part-motion adventure?)

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Boy, are you quick in trying to make me look like a fool!
I’m impressed.

P.S. Rose Tattoo is a FULL FMV, unlike Serrated Scalpel.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The Rose Tattoo is not full FMV by any definition. GK2, yes. Blue Heat, In the First Degree, Temujin, Mode, yes. But NOT the Rose Tattoo. In fact, the FMV avatars in the Rose Tattoo are hardly noticeble as FMV.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I agree that we don’t agree.

P.S. You’re right about RT though: it isn’t a full FMV, since the backgrounds are not filmed (only the actors are). So I stand corrected.
P.P.S. I still think Serrated Scalpel is not a full FMV. It has actors filmed in those small frames occasionally (during the dialogs), but the gameplay is full pixel art.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I agree, the Serrated Scalpel is certainly not full FMV either.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

What’s more, the DOS version of the game had also hand-drawn portraits. If Zifnab didn’t mention the 3DO version with FMV portraits, I’d never know. Someone, like Fien, could have made another FMV quiz using those portraits, and not in a million years I’d check Serrated Scalpel! Thanx, Zifnab! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-12-19

PM

Dag - 20 December 2012 12:24 AM

The game you’re looking for could be Touche - The Adventures of the 5th Musketeer, you have a sidekick, the graphics is almost identical to MI2, but the setting is in France.

Or it may be The Gene Machine, it has the English Sherlock Holmesie setting and the sidekick, though the graphics is somewhat different from MI2. Both games are from around 96-97.

Curse of Monkey Island is a wonderful game, and my personal favourite! Smile If you’re looking for something similar, you may wanna check out Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. It’s made by Bill Tiller, the lead designer of Curse of MI. It has gorgeous handpainted backgrounds in HD, similar to the artstyle of CoMI.

We have a winner! The Gene Machine was the one. I knew it had something like ‘machine’ in the title ... Meh

Thanks to everyone else who contributed. I’ll write down your recommendations Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top