• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 14 December 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs. It should be dwarrows (or dwerrows), if singular and plural had each gone its own way down the years, as have man and men or goose and geese. But we no longer speak of a dwarf as often as we do of a man, or even of a goose, and memories have not been fresh enough among Men to keep hold of a special plural for a race now abandoned to folk-tales, where at least a shadow of truth is preserved, or at last to nonsense-stories in which they have become mere figures of fun. But in the Third Age something of their old character and power is still glimpsed, if already a little dimmed: these are the descendants of the Naugrim of the Elder Days, in whose hearts still burns the ancient fire of Aulë the Smith, and the embers smoulder of their long grudge against the Elves; and in whose hands still lives the skill in works of stone that none have surpassed.

— J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Since the name “Tolkien” us currently being put on anything and everything, down to the tackiest forms of merchandising, I thought it’d be nice to have a few words form the man himself. And this bit of text—probably what I’d pick if I had to select one paragraph that perfectly embodies “Tolkien”—seems particularly appropriate.

And since this is the AGSD, here’s a scene from Simon the Sorcerer, showing that reducing dwarves to “mere figures of fun” certainly didn’t stop with Tolkien.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

<3 Simon the Sorcerer.

And have anyone seen The Hobbit yet? Sadly it was a big disappointment to me. Like a lesser LotR.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Going to see Hobbit tomorrow, still undecided about the 3D,2D,48fps thing, but I don’t really have high expectations after Peter Jackson announced that it would be 3 movies

Can’t wait for Angry Birds LOTR…

And never played Simon (but want to play it soon)

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about the 48fps. Reviewers have said it makes everything look “artificial” and “like a made for TV movie”. I’ll be avoiding it.

My theory is that, though the higher framerate is supposed to make it more like your eyes see things in real life, it doesn’t make it EXACTLY the same, and thus falls into an uncanny valley where it just looks OFF, one that is avoided by lower framerates that aren’t attempting to capture the “real life” feel. I dunno.

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-10-11

PM

Saw it in regular 3d. Quite liked it. Not on par with the LOTR, but then again, so is the source material.

The passages that come right out of the book are perfect. Expect to have fun!

Run you pigeons, it’s Robert Frost!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I need to play the Simon the Sorcerer games. Well, the first two, not so much the third. Wink

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Mister Ed - 14 December 2012 01:22 PM

I’ve heard nothing but bad things about the 48fps. Reviewers have said it makes everything look “artificial” and “like a made for TV movie”. I’ll be avoiding it.

I heard that most movie places don’t have the capability to screen 48fps because you need a special projector, so it will just look normal for most people who go and see it. I don’t know if that’s true.

Ahem… Simon 1. Good game. I really liked the humour in this one.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I saw it in 48fps, and expect the sets to look like actual sets. Which is a bad thing! You want the sets transformed into beautiful cities, not soap opera-level ugly set decorations that stick out. It was HORRID.

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’ll be seeing The Hobbit tomorrow. I’m really not interested in seeing it at 48FPS and thankfully our cinema doesn’t support it. Naughty

Simon - classic game! Replayed it not too long ago. Have been thinking of giving the sequel a replay at some point.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 December 2012 06:29 PM

I saw it in 48fps, and expect the sets to look like actual sets. Which is a bad thing! You want the sets transformed into beautiful cities, not soap opera-level ugly set decorations that stick out. It was HORRID.

Dang… I’ve really been looking forward to The Hobbit… it got pretty mediocre reviews in the local newspaper here aswell, so my expectations have now been considerably lowered. I guess that’s a good thing, maybe I’ll enjoy it now that I’m prepared it’s gonna be bad. A week ago I was convinced it was gonna be awesome.

Love the first two Simon games! Let’s not mention the third. I’m replaying the first atm. What do you guys think about the 4th and 5th games? They worth buying?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 16 December 2012 02:38 PM

Dang… I’ve really been looking forward to The Hobbit… it got pretty mediocre reviews in the local newspaper here aswell, so my expectations have now been considerably lowered. I guess that’s a good thing, maybe I’ll enjoy it now that I’m prepared it’s gonna be bad. A week ago I was convinced it was gonna be awesome.

Well, I went to see it yesterday (good old 2D version) with very low expectations and ended up having a lot a fun, didn’t notice the almost 3 hours. I think i just love all the Middle-Earth stuff so I have no problem with a lot of the extra added.
The Riddles in the Dark part with Gollum was so good - best part of the movie along with Martin Freeman’s acting - he really is the perfect Bilbo.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Watched the Hobbit on 3D yesterday. I must admit that I liked it more than the first LotR (The Fellowship of the Ring). Faster pace, more battles (not necessarily bad) and gave a much better view of each race’s uniqueness and special characteristics. It’s like comparing the books: One is a great tale (The Hobbit), the other a great dark story (LotR).

BTW: I find the humour in the first Simon one of the best in adventure game history…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top