• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure adventure game discussion thread

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Great thread! Thumbs Up

I’m bound to learn of quite a few new games here. Of all those mentioned so far, Bad Mojo is the only one I’ve played (and one of only three that I had heard of before)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Ahh, Bad Mojo, I completely forgot about that. I remember reading a lot of good things about it ages ago, but I couldn’t get it to run on my computer. I was so incredibly frustrated when it wouldn’t work, I wanted to play it really badly. Does it run in Win7?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-19

PM

Played the demo of this quite a lot as a child.

Maybe not super obscure (and has action elements) as it got a sequel but it came with the family PC and it was quite astonishing to look at through my seven year old eyes. D

There was this one where you play a guy with a red beard and there’s an arcadey sword fighting mechanic and maybe other arcade sequences. It had SCI type graphics similar to Kings Quest 4 and a text phraser interphase. Anyone remember this one? Might have started with a B or maybe a W. I remember it starts with the main character sleeping in a bed and you need to get water to pour on him to wake him and then you need to grab a sword. Outside there’s a guy you can fight and a bridge going off into the woods. And there’s a cave with a cult ritual sacrifice going on. 

Ah, I slept on it and the name Mad Dog Williams came into my head.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Drolin - 15 December 2012 10:15 AM

And where were you stuck?

Not far from the beginning, I think somewhere right after you escape the camp… But I’ll get back to it. Smile

Alice in Wonderland (2001)

As a big fan of the book I was determined to find and try this rare FMV title. It’s not bad but think of it more as a “pre-casual” game, as you have to click your way through, although there’re some puzzles along the way as well, and the beautiful and unique graphics style makes up for it.

Funny enough, there’s another Alice in Wonderland FMV title that was released around the same time (2000) - Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Drolin:  My another “obscure” favorites are Cosmology of Kyoto and Blue Ice

Blue Ice was one of the most confounding games I’ve played but I agree it is one of my aggravating favorites too.  It had a certain intuitive logic once you figured out what was going on and although I had to use a walkthrough at times (kissing a maggot!?! ugh) I did finish the adventure game part, leaving the contest part for the masochists.

Cosmology of Kyoto came in a beautiful small red box that I didn’t want to open for collectable value so I haven’t played it through.  I must have played a demo though because I remember the gameplay.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

CHEX QUEST 1,2, and 3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chex_Quest

This is a cute little gem that I love to play now and then.  Yes, it came in a cereal box!  You have to open secret rooms, collect nutritious foods like vegies for fuel and find your way to your spaceship.  Technically it’s built on the Doom engine but you “slime” your enemies that twinkle away, and it otherwise seemed very adventurous to me.

It was so popular that two sequels were made and all three can be downloaded since General Mills has released them.

http://www.neatorama.com/2012/04/28/download-and-play-chex-quest-1-3-for-free/

If you don’t want to register, just google for the downloads.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-12-19

PM

Dara100 - 19 December 2012 04:04 PM

Blue Ice was one of the most confounding games I’ve played but I agree it is one of my aggravating favorites too.

Oooh, I’ve played that. It was crazy. And I never realized there was a hidden game aspect to it either.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Fien - 15 December 2012 04:45 AM

I wouldn’t recommend Zelenhgorm. It’s the first and only part of a trilogy and the game doesn’t take off. At the beginning the hero decides to find out more about his background and why people in the village hate him, and at the end he’s more or less ready to take a journey. Not much happens in between. The diskswapping is really annoying and the puzzles are standard fare.

I completely agree about Zelenhgorm. It was like the introduction to a game. After spending entirely too much time futzing around the village, you finally get to the point where your character leaves the village and pffft the game ends. The developers never made the second or third parts. I read somewhere that they had everything filmed, but the person who was the motivating force in creating the trilogy died in a car accident and that was the end of it.

Vampire Diaries - I thought it was fun. It was sort of unintentionally humorous. It was made by HerInteractive—the same company that makes the Nancy Drew games—before they started making Nancy Drew games. I wish they’d remake it the way they remade the first Nancy Drew game. I’d have liked to buy it but the person who loaned it to me wanted to keep it.

Blue Ice - Tried to play it, but wasn’t able to finish. I doubt I got a third of the way through. I’m not sure how to describe it.

Fifth Disciple - I was told it was an RPG, but I thought it was more like an adventure game with a turn-based game than a real RPG. The thing I remember most about it is that it was the only game I’ve played where you have to make your character chop off his own head with a guillotine in order to solve a puzzle. The only reason why I even tried that was because I’d spent so long trying to figure out what to do next and decided to kill off the character just for some variety.

Alice: An Interactive Museum - A very strange game that someone loaned me. It had no save feature. You’d essentially save your progress by taking notes of the clues you found. It was full of strange pictures of naked people.

I never finished the game. I couldn’t quite get past the timed sequence at the end before I had to return the game.

Connections - Based on the TV series with James Burke. I liked it, but can’t remember much about it.

Astronomica - Sort of edutainment—at least it had an in-game encyclopedia. I was playing a Mac version that apparently didn’t like newer Macs (and by “newer” I mean one of the old beige Macs), because it crashed at the end right before I could finish. I think it wasn’t able to play the closing movie.

Liath - I tried to play it, but the puzzles were pretty obscure and I never completed it.

Noctropolis - I thought it was pretty good at the time, but I can’t remember anything about it except it was a DOS game and the sound kept cutting out on me. I’d have to exit and restart the game to get the sound back.

Entombed - An early first person game. It only had 3 save slots. There were door puzzles where every time you went through the door you had to redo the same puzzle. Usually I like puzzle games, but I remember thinking this one was tedious.

Master of Dimensions - You play as a boy who finds a machine that can transport you to other dimensions in his Grandfather’s attic, and you have to find the pieces of Merlin’s magic wand. I liked the game at the time, but don’t know what I’d think of it now.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Cosmology of Kyoto came in a beautiful small red box that I didn’t want to open for collectable value so I haven’t played it through.

Thats nice Wink. I surely woul not resist the temptation.

And anyone here have tried Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure (from the creator of Alice: An Interactive Museum)? I couldnt get it running on XP, but as it looks, its my cup of tea.

And is Blue Heat: The Case of the Cover Girl Murders any good?

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Cosmology of Kyoto came in a beautiful small red box that I didn’t want to open for collectable value so I haven’t played it through.  I must have played a demo though because I remember the gameplay.

Gasp

I’m impressed! You know a game box designer has done his/her job well when the player thinks it’s too beautiful to open and play the game Grin

I remember Cosmology of Kyoto well, a great game.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

There are two versions of Gadget: the original game by Synergy, and the Cryo edition called Gadget: Past as Future. I have both and I prefer the graphics of the original, but both are very beautiful. Surreal story.

I enjoyed whodunnit Blue Heat . Like Congo, it’s derived from a movie I haven’t seen. Full FMV. Lots of sexual stuff. It makes a difference which options you choose from dialogue trees, and the other options will often disappear.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Zifnab - 20 December 2012 05:04 AM

I’m impressed! You know a game box designer has done his/her job well when the player thinks it’s too beautiful to open and play the game Grin

I’ve posted this pic before in the old forum. Here it is again, the beautiful Cosmology of Kyoto box. Or rather, the most beautiful version, cause there’s also a more ordinary, more “western” blue box. (See wikipedia for the blue box.)

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Here’s one I have owned for many years but haven’t played, since I could never get it working on my PC. So obscure it’s not even on AG: Psychic Detective. But not really - I’ve seen it in bargain bins quite a lot in the late 90s.

I was surprised to get this particular game for my birthday from my dad as I was only about 13 and almost all the screenshots were sexual, which only made me more eager to play it Naughty

I still want to play it someday. From what I’ve read it sounds like it could be an interesting take on the interactive movie. Has anyone played it?

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I really should stop responding to this thread cause I’m monopolizing it. Yes, I have played the Psychic Detective. (I have also played Animal, by the way.) It is most certainly an interactive movie and it plays flawlessly. For instance, while a guy is talking to you through the open window of your car, you can choose to keep listening to him or start following a car that’s leaving the parking lot with an important NPC in it. Whatever you choose, the transition is seamless. There are 12 or 14 bad endings. It’s very hard to find the one and only winning ending, you can click on too many people and things. I needed a WT. The story is very dark and idiotic. I bet I’m one of the few people who liked the Psychic Detective in spite ofits many flaws. 

PS: It’s a DOS game. You could try DOS-box.

PPS: I forgot the worst of all: Only ONE save!

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 20 December 2012 05:59 AM

I really should stop responding to this thread cause I’m monopolizing it.

And rightfully so, cause you’re one of a few persons at this forums who had actually bought, opened and played many (if not all) of the obscure games (most of the) people hardly ever heard of.
Don’t stop - let us learn things!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top