• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Three songs, in the moment

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’ve always loved mixtapes. When I make them, I try to get a sense of someone’s tastes and interests and vibe to that. I discovered great stuff the other way around, sometimes directly, or by being pointed in a certain direction. In this thread, for example: I had never heard of a nyckelharpa before! Or the band Free, Jane Siberry, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Jacob Collier, etc. I rocked out pretty hard to the suggestions by you and TimovieMan, which, on several occasions, came at exactly the right time.

I used to work for a rock magazine, where it was very obvious which bands you were supposed to like or dislike, just based on prefab notions about taste, the way these bands were generally regarded in the media, or the audience that was typically associated with the band. The editorial staff was full of faux-tough dudes anyway, so I think the chances of fitting in were pretty slim to begin with.

I hope the next post will be another contribution to the playlist, it’s been a cool journey so far.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This one is dedicated to Maniac Mansion. There will probably be others.

One of the greatest songs of time so far was obviously written about the Edsel.

Weird Ed’s Lament.

The Meteor.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Vegetable Party - 12 June 2021 08:45 AM

In this thread, for example: I had never heard of a nyckelharpa before! Or the band Free, Jane Siberry, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Jacob Collier, etc.

Never heard of the band Free?

I seriously doubt that.  Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

TimovieMan - 14 June 2021 06:06 AM

In this thread, for example: I had never heard of a nyckelharpa before! Or the band Free, Jane Siberry, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Jacob Collier, etc.

Never heard of the band Free?

I seriously doubt that.  Wink

Haha wow! Yeah, I know that song. No idea it was by that band. The more you know.

edit: @Baron_Blubba, nice! Might do one with this theme myself, some time soon.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

I used to work for a rock magazine

That’s so cool. Too bad it turned to be a not-so pleasant working environment. Still, the idea of making money while writing about art is amazing to me. In my pathetic country (Serbia), we don’t even have a music magazine (nor, for example, a film one). Sick 

Anyway, these days I have been mostly listening to (mostly British) punk-rock from the late 70s, but also post-punk and new wave. Lots and lots of “the only band that matters” (The Clash, of course!), but other performers as well. Here’s my attempt to create a somewhat coherent selection /mini-playlist:

1. Gang of Four - Natural’s Not in It

2. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Radio, Radio

3. Buzzcocks - Breakdown (the first song on the EP “Spiral Scratch”, which I am embedding now because other Youtube videos of this song have a significantly worse sound quality)

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nice! That’s the good stuff.  Cool

You could totally write for a magazine in English. Maybe this is presumptuous, I’m not sure if you’re really aspiring towards editing/creative writing and if you do, you might not be as naive as I was going in, but I do have some tips I wish someone had strongly advised me to consider.

Get everything in writing. This may seem obvious, but I’ve found there’s often a rather informal atmosphere in writing circles. It’s very much geared towards social capital. If you’re considered a low risk low investment-type, that jovial boss might screw you over to save a coupe of bucks and pass the good news on to the shareholders/superiors.

Written agreements help, as proof and leverage for potential legal action, But it may help to suggest having enough equity/social capital before you find yourself in this position, in order not te be taken too lightly. I let stuff go because I didn’t have the time or the money.. in this setting, people generally make this estimation beforehand.

When people want to put you to work and call something “a great opportunity”, they usually mean: for them. It might be mutually beneficial, you might also get a task everyone else turned down because they know the implications. Be sure you know what you’re getting into before committing to anything.

The common advice for anyone with aspirations used to be: take whatever job you can in the right field and work your way up. Maybe there are still places left where this works. And you do have to start somewhere. But in many current work environments, you have to exude a sense of worth and ambition. If you accept working for scraps, you’re going to be used for that purpose.

The final tip: learn to speak bourgeois. This may sound weird, but that was the hardest thing for me. To give you an impression, I think it’s about coming across as being smart, but not like you think too much. You have to display individualism, but you’re not supposed to be too different. Be ambitious, talk about developing yourself, but don’t be too eager. Show that you’re in the know. The one trick you can use to avoid all of this: become a unique figure. It’s risky, it takes work and it’s not as adaptive as any other role you can play.. but you get to be yourself, to some extent.

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Thanks for the tips! I will PM you a reply soon, because it will go into some heavy off-topic territory.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I agree with most everything VP said there, but if you are going to take one and only one thing away from everything in his post, it should be Get Everything In Writing. Everything. From Day Zero and from every day onward, get everything in writing. Doesn’t matter if you are dealing with your best friend or Evrart Claire (before you go applying for jobs, take some time off to play Disco Elysium), doesn’t matter if it might lead to an awkward conversation, doesn’t matter if it means you might not end up getting the job: Get everything in writing.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Thanks, I will definitely keep this in mind, in case I run into some magazine-scoundrels. Hopefully, they’ll have more comfy chairs than ol’ Evrart. Tongue (Played Disco Elysium, loved it!) I will also reread these tips when the time comes.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Quote the additions by Bon, nice new influence on the list, didn’t want it to get lost behind me going off-topic for half a page, or something!

Bon - 16 June 2021 06:26 AM

Anyway, these days I have been mostly listening to (mostly British) punk-rock from the late 70s, but also post-punk and new wave. Lots and lots of “the only band that matters” (The Clash, of course!), but other performers as well. Here’s my attempt to create a somewhat coherent selection /mini-playlist:

1. Gang of Four - Natural’s Not in It

2. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Radio, Radio

3. Buzzcocks - Breakdown (the first song on the EP “Spiral Scratch”, which I am embedding now because other Youtube videos of this song have a significantly worse sound quality)

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba:
Ningen Isu - Neputa No Mondoriko (when disturbed during a meal or a good session of King’s Quest V, cartoon violence ensues)

walas74:
Mieke Miami - The Ambassador of Love

Bon:
Alternative TV - Action Time Vision

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

That Ningen Isu song is fun, thanks! Yeah, those band members totally look like the kind of people who would interrupt my Fran Bow playing breakfast time, standing around awkwardly for at least a half hour, just out of ‘I desire to converse with you’ range, but close enough that it’d be weird for me to start playing and eating again while I ignore them. And if they finally do take me up on an offer to help, they will very quickly steer the conversation toward the DIY 1:64 scale barn that they are making for their model train set, with painstakingly detailed and entirely unsolicited advice, wisdom, and trivia, on model train collecting, constructing, and history. Then they’ll say ‘thanks for your time, I appreciate you.’ and leave without spending a dime. Maybe they’ll say something like ‘I would love to support a small business, but I get all my board games through Kickstarters, sorry. But I appreciate you, man.’
Definitely murder material.

Also, that song reminds me of this song from DDR.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This is for Luhr28, sending some summer vibes your way!

Charlie Parker - Summertime (from Charlie Parker With Strings, I think..)

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime

OMC - How Bizarre

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Evidence - Taylor Made Suit

Emma-Jean Thackray - Say Something

Nadia Struiwigh - Einaudi

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

In honor of the game I am currently playing, nOn: The First Warp, here we go.

Brand new Dream Theater song!

Evergrey - Watching the Skies
This one is from an album allll about aliens. If you like prog rock and the X-Files, you’ll love this.

Megadeth - Hangar 18
Obvious but no less quintessential.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top