• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Pandora Directive 25th Anniversary - Possible Remake/Remaster Announced!

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

I want to hopefully clarify a few points here regarding the remaster.

The first is regarding the developer’s (and director’s) original vision. While ‘The Pandora Directive’ is already a fantastic title (often regarded as the best in the Tex Murphy series, although Under a Killing Moon is often just as revered due to its impact on the industry), its presentation was always at the whim of technological limitations at the time of release. These limitations were (but were not limited to) only 10fps video, very low-resolution presentation, limited color palette, and a very dated navigational interface. Adrian Carr has said these limitations hurt the overall impact and emotion he was attempting to convey in the game. Sure, it was still a fantastic game and played to these limitations very well, but it is far from what was originally envisioned.

But now, he is super excited to no longer be limited by these constraints in the 25th Anniversary edition. In a recently released article, Adrian says: “When Chris told me that my director’s vision could be fully realized now, because of the advancements in today’s Game Technology —- Just think, gang, Real Time video up to 4K resolution, a Full Color Spectrum as well as Full Dynamic Audio, Upgraded Sets and high quality VFX — would I be interested? My answer — A Resounding HELL YEAH!!!”

Regarding art style… Many other adventure games centered around pixel art (like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle) had a design and presentation that became an art form in itself, specifically catered to work with the limitations, resulting in a definitive style on its own. In contrast, limits that impacted the Tex Murphy series were not easily overcome with creative art choices other games were able to employ (like cartoon styling, imaginative design choices, or quirky color schemes) because cinematic realism was always the goal. There was very little you could do to overcome that at the time.

So, if we wanted to go back to the Van Gogh analogy, think of it as Van Gogh himself wanting to redo one of his own works, only this time without having both hands tied behind his back. However, a more accurate analogy would be releasing the remastered version of a blockbuster film on DVD/BD when previously the only available medium was VHS, while at the same time allowing the director to refine the experience for the enhanced medium. But, unlike George Lucas, there are no plans to wipe the original offering off the face of the earth and pretend it never existed.

Third, to address the question about “Why dedicate resources to remastering a game that already plays well in its current state.” However, this is relative. To veteran gamers, particularly those who grew up playing adventure games (and Tex especially) in the 90s, overcoming the clunky interface isn’t challenging. But, for everybody else, it’s a deal-breaker. If you look at Pandora’s reviews on both Steam and GOG (or even watch a let’s play or live stream), the #1 biggest gripe with the game is the outdated control scheme. So, yes, the game launches and plays, but it certainly could use an interface update. The interface update also enables the team to consider a console release as an option, potentially expanding the audience base.

A fourth concern here is Big Finish Games dedicating resources to a remaster instead of a new title. However, I think people forget just how much is involved in designing a new game from scratch with a new story. There are scripts that need to be written and refined. There is all new FMV that needs to be shot and actors who need to be paid. There are all new game design, progression, and branching story paths that need to be developed. New music needs to be composed, and levels/locations have to be planned, conceptualized, and design from scratch. There is a LOT. With a remaster, you already have the FMV shot, the story refined, the music composed, the levels hashed out, the continuity perfected, and the pathing designed. Virtually your entire design document is the previous game. On top of that, you have all the reviews and many years’ worth of player feedback to further improve and refine the game for the remaster.

I’m not saying it’s not a huge amount of effort to do a remaster… but certainly less effort than having to do everything brand new, especially for a small studio like BFG.

Hopefully, this addresses a good chunk of some of this discussion in this thread.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 04 June 2021 09:46 AM

I’d like to believe that remasters are important and those who are doing the remastering are doing very important work for cultural preservation.

Still, if this were true, why is it always the popular games which get remastered and not those desperately in need of it - the unplayable, buggy messes which barely anyone got to play in the first place? I don’t see a Simon the Sorcerer 3D remake or remaster coming anytime soon, but when it does, I’ll get behind it fully. For the popular, perfectly playable others like The Pandora Directive? Time could be better spent elsewhere.

Pandora Directive might not be a horrible unplayable buggy mess, but the game quit on me more than a few times while playing the GOG version recently, and I had to circumvent the glitches. And while it’s still an enjoyable game for us folks on this forum who regularly play games from that era, and therefore perhaps take for granted some of the more outdated mechanics, several elements of the Tex Murphy games would definitely be an obstacle for people more used to current games—even current adventure games. I know that I really enjoyed my recent first time play throughs of both UAKM and TPD, but did not recommend the games to my adventure gaming friends and family, because I knew they wouldn’t have the patience for it.

I wonder if there are enough fans of the series from back in the day who are still interested in this type of game to make the project financially successful. But, FMV games are more popular now than they have been since the mid-90’s, so there’s a definite possibility that these remakes would introduce the game to a whole new generation or two of game players, and maybe they’d go on to play other Tex games and other adventure games. And maybe not, who knows? All I know is that I personally would enjoy remakes of all of the first 4 games.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 04 June 2021 12:54 PM

I don’t see a Simon the Sorcerer 3D remake or remaster coming anytime soon

Considering the stunning “quality” of Simon 1 and 2 remasters, that is only a good thing.

Point very well taken!  Grin

BUT.. it’s one thing to “upgrade” beautiful original pixel art to dreadful vector graphics.

I don’t think any visual alteration, no matter how disastrous, could possibly worsen this:

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

why is it always the popular games which get remastered and not those desperately in need of it - the unplayable, buggy messes which barely anyone got to play in the first place?

You answered your own question; because the games which get remastered are popular and not games which barely anyone got to play it in the first place.

The reason why awful games which were critically panned upon initial release don’t get remasters is the same reason that awful movies don’t get remade.  It’s not a wise and marketable investment.  Classics get remastered/remade because they already have a built-in fanbase and are therefore more likely to make a profit.  The IP and brand recognition is money in the bank.  If you ran a studio and invested all of your money remaking games/films which were critically panned the first time around and made no money, whilst it may be an admirably artistic endeavor, you’d be out of a job within a year or two and bankrupt.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

St_Eddie - 06 June 2021 08:58 AM

why is it always the popular games which get remastered and not those desperately in need of it - the unplayable, buggy messes which barely anyone got to play in the first place?

You answered your own question; because the games which get remastered are popular and not games which barely anyone got to play it in the first place.

The reason why awful games which were critically panned upon initial release don’t get remasters is the same reason that awful movies don’t get remade.  It’s not a wise and marketable investment.  Classics get remastered/remade because they already have a built-in fanbase and are therefore more likely to make a profit.  The IP and brand recognition is money in the bank.  If you ran a studio and invested all of your money remaking games/films which were critically panned the first time around and made no money, whilst it may be an admirably artistic endeavor, you’d be out of a job within a year or two and bankrupt.

The problem is, “awful” is not necessarily the reason that many of these games weren’t popular. They may have been buggy, had terrible control schemes, or just needed a few adjustments.

Take Simon 3D - most agree that it would have been a great game, but it was thwarted by a disastrous implementation of the very new 3D technology for the time. In fact I’ve heard people argue it is great, but most agreed it was hideous, and combined with a poor control scheme these things made it unpopular. And it IS unpopular.

You could also look at it the other way, and take a game like Monkey Island - add a few design choices like mazes, arcade style combat, perhaps a clunky ship-sailing mechanic. Would these things turn it into an awful game? And, if this is the MI we got, would it not be worth removing them if it meant getting the MI we have now?

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Luhr28 - 06 June 2021 09:11 AM

You could also look at it the other way, and take a game like Monkey Island - add a few design choices like mazes, arcade style combat, perhaps a clunky ship-sailing mechanic. Would these things turn it into an awful game? And, if this is the MI we got, would it not be worth removing them if it meant getting the MI we have now?

We don’t really need to think of a hypothetical when it comes to Monkey Island, not when Escape From Monkey Island exists.  I have pondered in the past as to whether it would be a worthwhile endeavour for them to go back and rework the game, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that the aspects which would need reworking are so vast (the ugly pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D models, Monkey Kombat, the Herman Toothrot retcon, the puzzles on Monkey Island itself, the ending with the giant monkey robot) that there would really be no point.  The sheer time and workload required to fix the issues would be better spent making a new game in the series, instead of trying to put a band-aid over a fundamentally flawed game design.  The same thing applies to Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Take Simon 3D - most agree that it would have been a great game, but it was thwarted by a disastrous implementation of the very new 3D technology for the time. In fact I’ve heard people argue it is great, but most agreed it was hideous, and combined with a poor control scheme these things made it unpopular. And it IS unpopular.

Simon the Sorcerer 3D is definitely the best game in the series when it comes to writing and jokes. Very few people notice that though, because they get tired of running around in that 3D “world”.

I think some kind of a measurement for popularity is how many fan games there are. And I don’t immediately recall any for Simon the Sorcerer. Which is really surprising.

I mean, there are three (3!) different fan remakes of King’s Quest III, but there is none for Simon the Sorcerer 3D! I think somebody with a burning passion and some knowledge of AGS would have done that.

Or maybe they are afraid of legal considerations, who knows? I think the legal status of that series has always been quite clear, whereas the old Sierra IPs have been travelling through many owners, which certainly must have something to do with it.
But even so, the lack of Simon fan games is surprising, considering all those Sierra, LucasArts, and Broken Sword fan games.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

GateKeeper - 07 June 2021 04:45 AM

I think some kind of a measurement for popularity is how many fan games there are. And I don’t immediately recall any for Simon the Sorcerer. Which is really surprising.

You think so? I’d say that StS is something so heavily reliant on Simon Woodroffe’s brand of sharp, biting British humor that it really makes any attempt to replicate that near-impossible.

Of course, you could argue that Charles Cecil, Roberta Williams have their own unique style, and that’s true. I suppose it’s a matter of degree.

St_Eddie - 06 June 2021 08:21 PM

We don’t really need to think of a hypothetical when it comes to Monkey Island, not when Escape From Monkey Island exists.  I have pondered in the past as to whether it would be a worthwhile endeavour for them to go back and rework the game, but ultimately I came to the conclusion that the aspects which would need reworking are so vast (the ugly pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D models, Monkey Kombat, the Herman Toothrot retcon, the puzzles on Monkey Island itself, the ending with the giant monkey robot) that there would really be no point.  The sheer time and workload required to fix the issues would be better spent making a new game in the series, instead of trying to put a band-aid over a fundamentally flawed game design.  The same thing applies to Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

I’m not sure it does. I like EFMI, and don’t think it’s ugly. The controls are passable. The models have their charm. The puzzles range from average to rather good (the Mists o’ Time puzzle was creative). Still, it’s the ugly duckling of the series, and that’s mostly because the first three are so damn good.

I don’t know what would need to change about StS3D. But it’s definitely not a complete workover.

It’s a far worthier candidate than The Pandora Directive because it would not just increase access to a classic, it would create it. As outdated as the controls are for TPD, they don’t come close to sheer unplayability.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Big Finish Games have posted a new update on the progress of the remaster.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The upscale examples they’ve posted do look pretty amazing. I gathered they are training their own AI models by using higher quality footage of the actors as a pool the model is learning from. Based on those example shots, the method seems to pay off.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

As much as a new game would be wonderful, a remake is still pretty exciting news. And of course if it sells well, that might lead to a new game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

A new update has been posted by Big Finish Games - A Brief Insight into the Remastering of Level Design

EDIT: There’s also a video preview of the work in progress Mayan Temple section of the game here.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It’s interesting that they are also upscaling/repainting at least some of the original textures. They seem to intend the feel of Pandora Directive to be as close to the original as possible, while they still change the controls and add more details to the game world.

This somewhat reminds me of the upcoming System Shock remake, in which they’ve turned many of the low-resolution textures into actual geometry, producing more detailed environments of the Citadel station.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Detailed interview describing what to expect with the remaster. Also, it’s explained as to why BFG pulled out of the poisoned pawn.
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/video-interview-mat-van-rhoon-big-finish-games

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Here’s a recent podcast episode from the Video Game History Hour where they interview Mat from BFG about finding the missing video tapes and upscaling the footage for the remaster:

https://gamehistory.org/ep-39-tex-murphy-p-i-solves-the-case-of-the-missing-production-tapes/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top