• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ten reasons for you to try adventure games

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Ok so my favorite greek magazine,PC Master,had a fantastic article this month about 10 reasons for trying adventure games.I won’t go into details and write everything,I will just mention the main reasons:

10.It is the oldest PC game genre

9.The low requirements

8.The good(or easy?)learning curve

7.They are the ideal type of games to relax

6.Because you grew up

5.Your own Monkey Island 2(meaning you have a favorite adventure game classic)

4.The magical feeling of exploration

3.The identification and bonding with the heroes(protagonists)

2.The adventure game stories are the best stories in the computer game genres

1.The pleasure of solving a hard puzzle(or riddle)

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Foinikas - 09 December 2012 11:25 AM

This list feels a bit similar to “you should read books”-arguments, just like adventure games there are good ones and (really, really) bad ones.

But if the argument is which genre to try the highest rated games from, then I think adventure games has the most potential. Smile

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

An honest genre,doesn’t cheat like other genres cpu ai.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Niber - 09 December 2012 11:37 AM

This list feels a bit similar to “you should read books”-arguments, just like adventure games there are good ones and (really, really) bad ones.

But if the argument is which genre to try the highest rated games from, then I think adventure games has the most potential. Smile

I disagree. Adventuregames arer the only games that don’t have a script that dissapoints at every step. Allmost all shooters/action adventures have either zombies or mutants or aliens or all of the above. Even the Tomb raider games! And the very few that don’t such as Assisins Creed have such bad dialogue it’s completely cringeworthy. Yes there are plenty bad adventuregames but overall when it comes to story, characters and dialogue they tend not to dissapoint as much as other genres.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

There are DOZENS about dozens of very good adventure games out there to try of all kinds.It’s the best kind of game to play when it’s snowing outside and it’s late at night…

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im afraid the only reason there that holds any water is maybe #1 Wink
Sentimental value is not a reason for someone to start playing a genre. They cant relate to that yet.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I don’t see sentimental value listed as one of the reasons.

If you mean the nr.6 “because you grew up”, I believe that is meant as a reminder that you are NOW a grown man/woman/somethinginbetween and a humorous way of saying that fps’es (or the mindless action games of today) are for kids, while adventure games are for grown ups, therefore you, as a grown up, should try one. And by the nr.5 I believe they mean that you should try adventure games so that you TOO can find your own adventure game classic.

Obviously sentimental value can’t be a reason for someone to try an AG for the first time, that’d be freaky. Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Dag - 10 December 2012 03:06 PM

And by the nr.5 I believe they mean that you should try adventure games so that you TOO can find your own adventure game classic.

number 5 is: people feel sentimental about them, so you should play them so you can feel sentimental about them too. It doesnt work that way, and can equally apply to any genre Wink

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Offcourse it works that way, you just gotta give it some (a lot of) time! Smile
(I do see you point though).

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t agree with any of those points.

10.It is the oldest PC game genre

Ever heard of Pong?

9.The low requirements

L.A. Noire and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes disagree.

8.The good(or easy?)learning curve

Depends on the game design. Too steep learning curve = bad design. This applies to ALL genres.

7.They are the ideal type of games to relax

Only when speaking of comedy games or casuals. Scratches and Amnesia for instance, are definitely not relaxing.

6.Because you grew up

That’s just insulting to all non-adventure games and gamers.

5.Your own Monkey Island 2(meaning you have a favorite adventure game classic)

So your favourite game classic in another genre no longer counts?

4.The magical feeling of exploration

True for all RPGs and sandboxy games, too, not just adventures.

3.The identification and bonding with the heroes(protagonists)

True for any game with a story, in any genre.

There’s good and bad stories in every genre, even the adventure genre. And other games can have good stories too. Just look at most RPGs or games like Uncharted.

1.The pleasure of solving a hard puzzle(or riddle)

Meh, I can get that from a crossword puzzle too…

The only valid reason to try adventure games is because it’s a great and diverse genre that has a lot of games you might like…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The various styles that adventure games utilise is a major drawcard to me like cel animation, pixel art or pre-rendered assets along with the idea of narrative through puzzle solving. It just sounds fun. 

Although, I do think the biggest appeal comes from a very eclectic range of stories and worlds but other genres are catching up. As long as the storytelling has quality and interaction isn’t sacrificed what’s there to hate?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Tim, you agreed with no. 4 though =P

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The most valid reason to try adventure games is imo that they’re an endangered species. Though their odds are looking a LOT better, it’s not long since they were near extinct, and I believe they still have a struggle ahead of them for survival (i.e no longer be regarded as a laughable subject in the eyes of major publishers). Sure, adventure games have been made all along, but it’s not at all uncommon that they have to compromise due to budget restraints. So we should play adventure games for the same reasons that we should protect the panda.

An adventure game panda. Now that poor fella’s in twice the danger.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Timo did you post that agreeing to not agree from the start?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 10 December 2012 06:03 PM

Actually I didn’t. It’s not a reason to try adventure games if it applies to a bunch of other genres too. Then it’s just a reason to try ANY of those games, not just adventure games… Tongue

Advie - 10 December 2012 07:11 PM

Timo did you post that agreeing to not agree from the start?

Absolutely not.
I started reading the reasons thinking it was going to be something we could use to entice new players with, but the more I read the more I started thinking “hey, wait a minute!”.

I hope that whoever wrote that article had a decent explanation for his reasons, because they don’t cut it on their own…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

TimovieMan - 11 December 2012 01:07 AM
Origami - 10 December 2012 06:03 PM

Actually I didn’t. It’s not a reason to try adventure games if it applies to a bunch of other genres too. Then it’s just a reason to try ANY of those games, not just adventure games… Tongue

But that applies for any argument. You could find something in one game from a genre that you could also find in another game from another genre.

Just because someone ensembled a list of reasons to play adventure games, doesn’t mean that these things are exclusively found in the adventure genre.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top