• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Wormwood_Studios - 01 May 2021 02:16 AM
Baron_Blubba - 30 April 2021 09:17 PM

Sticky as in: If it weighed as much as a small bomb and you threw it at a metal door, it would adhere to the door?

It’s a terrible puzzle. But in many ways it’s an elegant example of why “moon logic” is slippery (!) to define.

The puzzle is a lame reference to Saving Private Ryan’s “sticky bomb,” in which axle grease is used as an adhesive. But it’s completely counterintuitive because even with that (dated) cultural referent, no one thinks of grease as an adhesive. And even if someone gets the reference, what’s the point?

I think the origin of how it came to be was that I felt the dripping tube in the UNNIIC room was too much of a red herring—you can’t have a large, centrally located, animated hotspot that serves no function at all. (Vic, the artist behind Primordia and Strangeland, sometimes lets flights of fancy overcome hardnosed practicality.) So I wanted to work it into a puzzle, and also make the use of the bomblet slightly more complicated. One thing led to another—a somewhat inapt hotspot, a very inapt cultural referent, and a slippery puzzle… so it goes. Smile

The latter part of the game is a little more rigorous in its logic, though it has the single puzzle that most often causes players to get stuck.

(And yes, Wacky Wheels is a magnum opus. All us kids who couldn’t afford a SNES but managed to play it on some school computer…)

Wow, I don’t know how you found this thread, but thank you very much for taking the time to give such candid insight into Primordia’s development, and to join me in singing the praises of Whacky Wheels. Haha, yes indeed, my family never had any 16 bit (or 8 bit consoles). We were a Coleco Vision, Gameboy, and Game Gear household up until the mid-Playstation era, so Whacky Wheels was where we got our kart racing fix. Oi, the periscopes when you go through the puddles! I was *so* happy when the game turned up on GOG. Even though I rarely play it, having it (and Epic Pinball) on my hard drive just feels right.

Okay, back to Primordia: To be fair, Horus *does* mention its sticky properties when you click on the oil puddle, but he also mentions that it’s not sticky enough to perform a couple of other tasks that require some stick-it-to-it-iveness (the five conduits and the plug to the cable), so I stopped thinking of it as a useful adhesive.
Is it good? No. Have I seen much worse? Absolutely! And in a meta way, it’s increased my enjoyment of the game, since it has lead to this great conversation. Also…one of my favorite games is KQ V, so clearly I don’t have a very high standard of rigorously logical inventory puzzles requirements.

As far as the red herring leaky hose goes: I’m not at a point yet where I can say for certain that I will never fix it, but I have reached a seeming point of no return, and as I was riding that train I did think, in a very ‘hmmm…did I leave the oven on?’ way, ‘hmmm…did I leave the hose dripping?’
I don’t mind that though—I feel like more games should have things that *seem* like they need doing, but actually don’t. It discourages brute forcing to overwhelm the player with possibilities; it forces the player to sit back and think ‘what do I actually *need* to do next’ as opposed to ‘what in the world *can* I maybe possibly for no apparent reason do next?’
To that end, kudos for making a somewhat challenging *and* narrative heavy adventure game in today’s day and age, where it seems like many games exist solely as narrative vehicles, with little regard to puzzles or gameplay.

Speaking of the narrative, I mentioned above that I’m not a fan of these post-Matrix neo-religious (no pun intended with the ‘neo’ there) dystopian stories, but yours just got very good. I’m now a believer!

Lastly, I *really* like how, despite the themes and colors in Primordia often being rather bleak, your character (appearances aside) is not a dark and gritty badass. He’s actually quite pleasant, and pragmatically optimistic. Seems like a nice fellow, whose shoes I don’t mind stepping into and who I genuinely want to reach a happy ending.

Okay, that’s that! Thanks again for taking the time to comment on our comments, and thanks for making this wonderful adventure game.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Very appropriately: After hitting ‘submit’ on the post above, Captcha required me to push an ‘I Am Human’ button, and I immediately thought, ‘But am I? Do I even believe in Humans?’

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Maybe, just maybe, wormwood_studios found this thread because I am a snitch…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

walas74 - 01 May 2021 12:16 PM

Maybe, just maybe, wormwood_studios found this thread because I am a snitch…

And maybe, just maybe, I had a feeling that was the story. Thank you, Walas!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’m playing The Darkside Detective 2: Fumbling in the Dark and boy am I having a great time! I finished the first case today, it was just as funny as the first opus, if not even more. Now I’m torn between gobbling it down, or playing parsimoniously to make it last longer.
It’s one of the very few games I’ve tried in the last months, and the first one to get me so excited Grin

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2021-05-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 01 May 2021 12:05 PM

Oi, the periscopes when you go through the puddles!

Morris the Moose. Old reliable. (Wasn’t that his description?) Funny how things stick with you.

your character (appearances aside) is not a dark and gritty badass. He’s actually quite pleasant, and pragmatically optimistic. Seems like a nice fellow, whose shoes I don’t mind stepping into and who I genuinely want to reach a happy ending.

Yes—the theme of Primordia (and to a lesser extent our upcoming Strangeland) is that one should meet the apocalypse with dignity and decency.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on our comments, and thanks for making this wonderful adventure game.

Thanks; I’m always grateful and a little bit dazed that people bother to play it and talk about it, so the least I can do is say hi, especially when Walas blows his whistle.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Well Mr Wormwood, as a fellow friend of Wacky Wheels, you have my respect and first day purchase promise for your next game.
It also doesn’t hurt that you are being very modest about Primordia. It’s excellent, and absolute worth the time for any point and click player.
At first blush, I’m not in the target demographic, being not so much a fan of most modern games (at least, not compared to how much I adore the older ones), and also not so much a fan of the setting. But this game is winning me over big time. Loving the story, characters, and well developed setting, while the challenge is a wonderful balance of modern gentle design and old fashioned challenge.

Image Attachments

25FE9921-516B-4CC0-B0C9-C291F7A11B05.png0168FB04-3F62-4FCB-A406-EEA5FDAA54F4.png5283007C-D063-448E-B36C-75CD053A23FE.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And let’s not forget one of the best sidekicks ever: Crispin Horatiobilt, a floating… crack!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Oh dear, Wacky Wheels.. <HONK HONK> x 2

Personally, I’m on a quest for a better place to work, but sometimes you need a break and go on a different adventure altogether.
So I got back to “Conquest of the Longbow”.

As Robin wonders what else he can do to express his feelings towards Marian, Friar Tuck likes to make a suggestion:

That’s.. actually pretty decent advice!

Although I do suspect it means I missed an opportunity to gain a couple of points.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 May 2021 08:44 AM

Oh dear, Wacky Wheels.. <HONK HONK> x 2

Personally, I’m on a quest for a better place to work, but sometimes you need a break and go on a different adventure altogether.
So I got back to “Conquest of the Longbow”.

As Robin wonders what else he can do to express his feelings towards Marian, Friar Tuck likes to make a suggestion:

That’s.. actually pretty decent advice!

Although I do suspect it means I missed an opportunity to gain a couple of points.

That’s Little John, but regardless, a Longbow screenshot is always welcome!

What day are you on? I wonder how/where you might have missed her.

The last sentence of your post, is it referring to real life or the game?

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 03 May 2021 12:44 PM

That’s Little John, but regardless, a Longbow screenshot is always welcome!

Oh dude, I see that now!

What day are you on? I wonder how/where you might have missed her.

The last sentence of your post, is it referring to real life or the game?

Haha, the game, fortunately. Smile ALthough I’m probably not getting the high score in life at this point in time, either.

I think this must be day eight. It’s the day of the festival.

I did meet Marian, but when I went looking for this screenshot, I noticed the conversation was different and the preceding rendezvous with the Lady usually took a slightly different turn.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Strange. If I recall correctly, there’s not much you can do with Marian on that day. You can hassle her a little bit, until she so subtly tells you to go away, and then she trundles off in her adorable little blue hat and puffy blue dress. Maybe I’m forgetting something, though.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing 5 Dates, a really fun FMV game. All the websites list it as an adventure game and it’s one of the best I’ve played in the FMV category. Really funny and you learn allot about dating by playing it.

Highly recommended so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Just started playing a classic game that I missed as a youth: The Legend of Kyrandia.
I fumbled around a little bit with this series as a teen, but never gave it more than an hour or so of play time. So far, so good!

Also, I have *cracked* the dense shell around Disco Elysium and am loving it now. So happy I put the time in, as the game really opens up as you go along. The game keeps on mocking me for being ‘true to my heart’ and being predominantly Centrist, but I think I’ll be rewarded at the end.
I’m really looking forward to playing it again as a psycho mystic hardcore super cool leap-before-you-look card carrying party animal commie on my next play through.
(The first time through any RPG I like to do a ‘fantasy’ play through, and the next time I do it playing a character as close as possible to the real me.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Wormwood_Studios - 01 May 2021 02:16 AM

The latter part of the game is a little more rigorous in its logic, though it has the single puzzle that most often causes players to get stuck.

Just finished the game, and I’m guessing it’s one of my two favorite puzzles, the tower code or flirting with a lamp. Can you please share which puzzle it is?

Also, did I miss something with the Eeyore robot that is waiting?. I couldn’t figure out what to do with him, and after a certain event, he disappears. He was one of my favorite minor characters.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top