• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Have you played Starcross? (the other “expert” level game)

Bureaucracy could also be fun, and difficult. I never got very far in that one.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I didn’t finish Beaurocracy, don’t remember much about it except that it was too hard for me. Haven’t played Starcross, but if it’s expert level it will be very difficult as well.

Am I being difficult?  Shifty Eyed I’ll shut up en wait for other people’s suggestions.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok: I can’t speak for other people, but I don’t think you’re being difficult at all.

I’ve been watching this from the sidelines. It looks really interesting and I’d like to join the next CP, but I’m afraid extra shifts are going to prevent me from joining in at the right time.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

So we’re looking for “hard” but not “too hard”? That should be doable.

I doubt I would have been able to finish Counterfeit Monkey alone. I wouldn’t call it easy. There were times when I was stuck and needed someone else to provide the next move. That’s the benefit of a CP, with many brains at work on the one problem it lowers the difficulty.

For the other games mentioned, there’s another format I thought of, and that’s simply starting a solo playthrough and posting the text, with the thread being open to anyone else to post moves. It would be slower paced and less involved, but I see no reason it wouldn’t work.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Count me in! I see no reason to wait before doing this again.

Karlok - 03 April 2021 07:12 AM

I’ve read good things about Buster Hudson’s games. Foo foo or Oppositely Opal. But why not suggest some games you have already played and that you know are suitable?

The Wizard Sniffer is the only game of his that I’ve played, and I loved it. It became the worthy winner of the 2017 IFComp. I’d be very interested in trying another of his games.

I’m also open for Infocom games. It will be quite a different thing to play as a group though, since participants might be hesitant to try things when it could lead to a dead end later on.

A random suggestion from my backlog, if we want something rather short:
Slouching Towards Bedlam

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Count me in too. I don’t have many suggestions, besides the Legend Entertainment titles, I barely played IF games besides the playthroughs here.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 April 2021 09:16 AM

Karlok: I can’t speak for other people, but I don’t think you’re being difficult at all.

Smile

I’ve been watching this from the sidelines. It looks really interesting and I’d like to join the next CP, but I’m afraid extra shifts are going to prevent me from joining in at the right time.

Please do join us! The right time is when it suits you to post. That’s one advantage of this kind of playthrough. Of course you need to have enough time to read all the posts in the CP thread.

Just curious about Spider and Web… still playing, finished, abandoned?

Pegbiter - 03 April 2021 02:28 PM

Count me in! I see no reason to wait before doing this again.

Karlok - 03 April 2021 07:12 AM

I’ve read good things about Buster Hudson’s games. Foo foo or Oppositely Opal. But why not suggest some games you have already played and that you know are suitable?

The Wizard Sniffer is the only game of his that I’ve played, and I loved it. It became the worthy winner of the 2017 IFComp. I’d be very interested in trying another of his games.

I’m also open for Infocom games. It will be quite a different thing to play as a group though, since participants might be hesitant to try things when it could lead to a dead end later on.

Yeah, there’s that. Infocom games were not very forgiving.

A random suggestion from my backlog, if we want something rather short:
Slouching Towards Bedlam

Slouching Towards Bedlam is on my backlog too.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 03 April 2021 09:24 AM

For the other games mentioned, there’s another format I thought of, and that’s simply starting a solo playthrough and posting the text, with the thread being open to anyone else to post moves. It would be slower paced and less involved, but I see no reason it wouldn’t work.

It could work, yes. But my first reaction is that it would be faster paced, not slower, because you won’t have to wait for people to post their commands. Interesting idea.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 05 April 2021 10:30 AM

Count me in too. I don’t have many suggestions, besides the Legend Entertainment titles, I barely played IF games besides the playthroughs here.

I’m sure you have preferences when it comes to subgenres like horror, fantasy, comedy, drama. Let us know!

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I would have said I don’t like horror but I actually loved playing anchorhead here so if the game is good, I’ll appreciate any genre I think.

But in general, I think I prefer fantasy and comedy. I definitely enjoyed the whimsical nature of counterfeit monkey and didn’t like the (to me) horror element of being fused.

Slouching Towards Bedlam does sound very good. I like steampunk/victorian settings.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Alright, I’m on board!

Excited to see where this is going.

Still playing Spider And Web! At first I was intrigued. After a few attempts, I felt overwhelmed. I thought I might not be smart enough for this type of challenge.. and then it clicked. It dawned on me the dumb things I did were actually smart. I think that’s the most spoiler-free explanation. I’m still figuring it out, but I’m going to finish it.

From what I’ve seen in the Counterfeit Monkey playthrough, it’s probably a decent exercise in playing IF.

This is all very different from the text adventures I remember.  Grin

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 06 April 2021 05:21 AM

Alright, I’m on board!

Excited to see where this is going.

Still playing Spider And Web! At first I was intrigued. After a few attempts, I felt overwhelmed. I thought I might not be smart enough for this type of challenge.. and then it clicked. It dawned on me the dumb things I did were actually smart. I think that’s the most spoiler-free explanation. I’m still figuring it out, but I’m going to finish it.

Oh, you’re smart enough, no worries. And if you’re stuck you can always have a peek at our CP.

From what I’ve seen in the Counterfeit Monkey playthrough, it’s probably a decent exercise in playing IF.

This is all very different from the text adventures I remember.  Grin

Text adventures have an image problem. People automatically associate them with technically limited ones like the ancient Zork games. But they’ve come a long way in the 35+ years since.

Luhr, have you come to a decision?

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Not really. The problem being I like all the recommendations.

Maybe just pick one? Slouching Towards Bedlam? It’s short and I don’t think I’ll be as speedy as Karlok was with the updates.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Sounds good to me, obviously.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Fine with me.

I got vaccinated today. Yippee! Cool

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!