• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing A New Beginning for a 2nd time. And all the negative comments are true:

1) yes, the voice acting sucks, bad.

2) the script sucks big time, bad.

3) the plot needs work, big time.

So why the high scores? The game is beautiful, simply stunning to look at. After playing Kathy Rain and Techobabylon, etc. this game is a treat for your eyes. Flawed, yes, but beautiful backgrounds, oh yea!

So, you can hate it, well deserved, and you can love it, well deserved too.

Most reviews were for a 1st play and they like me fell in love with the graphics. A well deserved Aggie I might add.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 04 April 2021 05:56 PM

I am playing A New Beginning for a 2nd time. And all the negative comments are true:

So why the high scores? The game is beautiful, simply stunning to look at. After playing Kathy Rain and Techobabylon, etc. this game is a treat for your eyes. Flawed, yes, but beautiful backgrounds, oh yea!

Most reviews were for a 1st play and they like me fell in love with the graphics. A well deserved Aggie I might add.

Heart

Aw man, while I agree with almost everything you say here about A New Beginning, it bums me out to hear it coming from you, our eternal adventure loving optimist.

My problem with the graphics is that even though they look great in stills… A) the animation and particularly the cut-scenes are often (not always) poorly done. Well, the cut-scenes are always poorly done, the in game animations only sometimes. And B) they rarely depict anything interesting. With a couple of exceptions, most of which are found early in the game, the environments are just so boring and repetitive. I’m playing through the King’s Quest series now, and even EGA KQ IV looks better than this—not technically, but it is more enjoyable to look at because it is imaginative and interesting—if this wasn’t my third or fourth time playing the game, I’d have been really excited to discover where the game would take me next. Not so with ANB.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ok, not sure it qualifies as overrated but I’ve just been replaying Legend of Kyrandia 1 and I have to say that it doesn’t deserve to have the same score here as Hand of Fate.

I remembered it as being so-so but now I’d just say that while the graphics are beautiful for its time, music is great and the characters are fun, the puzzles are some of the worst I remember. Who thought that randomly looking for different birthstones that are scattered everywhere and then through trial and error finding the correct combination on the altar would be a good puzzle?

There’s no reflection, no trick to it. It’s just boring.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My problem with the graphics is that even though they look great in stills… A) the animation and particularly the cut-scenes are often (not always) poorly done. Well, the cut-scenes are always poorly done, the in game animations only sometimes. And B) they rarely depict anything interesting. With a couple of exceptions, most of which are found early in the game, the environments are just so boring and repetitive. I’m playing through the King’s Quest series now, and even EGA KQ IV looks better than this—not technically, but it is more enjoyable to look at because it is imaginative and interesting—if this wasn’t my third or fourth time playing the game, I’d have been really excited to discover where the game would take me next. Not so with ANB.

Sadly, this is all true too about the animation. So, we do still have beautiful stills. But still, the game was cheap so I’m enjoying it. Reminds me of a low budget indie really.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

So we’ve gone from a “brilliant, amazing, 10/10, 5 star game” to… “it’s got some decent stills and it’s cheap”. Progress! So what score would you give it now Adv_Lvr?

At this rate we’ll reach a forum consensus in just a few more years… Smile

giom - 05 April 2021 12:37 PM

Ok, not sure it qualifies as overrated but I’ve just been replaying Legend of Kyrandia 1 and I have to say that it doesn’t deserve to have the same score here as Hand of Fate.

I remembered it as being so-so but now I’d just say that while the graphics are beautiful for its time, music is great and the characters are fun, the puzzles are some of the worst I remember. Who thought that randomly looking for different birthstones that are scattered everywhere and then through trial and error finding the correct combination on the altar would be a good puzzle?

There’s no reflection, no trick to it. It’s just boring.

I’m surprised anyone ever had the thought that it was on par with Hand of Fate to begin with. Every time I’ve tried to play it, it took me less than an hour to throw it aside in boredom and frustration over how inferior it is. But then, I’m a huge HoF fan and it’s a game that might even make my Top 10.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Luhr28 - 06 April 2021 09:31 PM

I’m surprised anyone ever had the thought that it was on par with Hand of Fate to begin with. Every time I’ve tried to play it, it took me less than an hour to throw it aside in boredom and frustration over how inferior it is. But then, I’m a huge HoF fan and it’s a game that might even make my Top 10.

And I thought Kyrandia was the most amazing adventure back when I played it during the early 1990s. An exotic, gorgeous open world filled with magic, randomness as well as tiny details like a falling leaf turning into a gem or some old weirdo relaxing on a bench, with dangers lurking around every corner, including Malcolm himself who could appear anywhere, anytime. Kyrandia felt like a totally unique world, unlike King’s Quest games, for example, with gems being an integral part of it: collecting stones or berries was absolutely natural to me as a kid.

Kyrandia 2 was… different. I played it soon after the first game and loved it, but it was kinda less of a “world” and more of “locations”, or even “levels”, artificially structured, that varied in themes and sizes (by the end we were locked between 2-3 locations), with an increasing level of absurdity and zaniness, like it was one of Lewis Carroll’s books. I felt a bit disappointed because only the first location caught the spirit of the original Kyrandia, while everything that followed played like a different game (or collection of games).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Doom - 07 April 2021 09:27 AM

I felt a bit disappointed because only the first location caught the spirit of the original Kyrandia, while everything that followed played like a different game (or collection of games).

Well, I can’t argue with that. The swamp was undoubtedly the highlight of the game. And the 2-3 location format adopted after that was one of the reasons why Malcolm’s Revenge did do so well, in my opinion.

Maybe if I’d played Kyrandia 1 at the time of release I’d have fonder memories of it. I’m certain that would be the case. It’s usually the first game of a series you play that captures your heart.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 04 April 2021 05:56 PM

Heart

I wish I could even see what you saw in the graphics bc, the comic panels are awful looking, the animation is atrocious, and the background art as far as i can tell is kind of bland… at least in the first chapter

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I completely agree with the Aggie award A New Beginning earned:

“A New Beginning

In an industry dominated by cutting-edge 3D graphics, hand-drawn 2D adventures are generally considered quaint and antiquated, at best given backhanded compliments like “classically styled”. Undeterred, Daedalic Entertainment designed A New Beginning the old-fashioned way, and did so with such impeccable artistry that it managed to edge out the fiercest of competition. The vividly coloured, skillfully illustrated screens of this thought-provoking eco-thriller are as distinctive as its premise of desperate time travellers trying to stem an impending environmental catastrophe. Each setting is individually captivating, whether the verdant, idyllic Scandinavian forests of today; a climate conference set against an ominous purple haze caused by smoke-spewing power plants; a dusty, devastated San Francisco drowned by an overflowing Pacific in 2050; or the alien, treeless world of 2500 about to be annihilated by a solar flare. The larger picture for mankind isn’t always pretty, but the artwork displaying it surely is.

Unusual viewing perspectives add to the game’s visual distinctiveness, while the clever interplay of light and shadow to go with day and night transitions add fascinating realism to the backdrops. The cast of characters are just as well-drawn as their world, and emote credibly despite being two-dimensional and outlined in black ink. Cinematics are made of stylishly sketched and dramatically animated panels, which play out sequentially to create comic book-style pages. Coloured clips are often juxtaposed with black-and-white or silhouetted ones to enhance their impact, both in terms of design and as a storytelling device. The flourishes even carry over to utilities like the main menu and saved game archive, creating a cohesive visual experience throughout. For proving with great élan that hand-drawn craftsmanship is not a lost art form, A New Beginning wins the coveted title of Best Graphic Design for 2011.”

Heart

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 08 April 2021 09:18 PM

I completely agree with the Aggie award A New Beginning earned:

“A New Beginning

In an industry dominated by cutting-edge 3D graphics, hand-drawn 2D adventures are generally considered quaint and antiquated, at best given backhanded compliments like “classically styled”. Undeterred, Daedalic Entertainment designed A New Beginning the old-fashioned way, and did so with such impeccable artistry that it managed to edge out the fiercest of competition. The vividly coloured, skillfully illustrated screens of this thought-provoking eco-thriller are as distinctive as its premise of desperate time travellers trying to stem an impending environmental catastrophe. Each setting is individually captivating, whether the verdant, idyllic Scandinavian forests of today; a climate conference set against an ominous purple haze caused by smoke-spewing power plants; a dusty, devastated San Francisco drowned by an overflowing Pacific in 2050; or the alien, treeless world of 2500 about to be annihilated by a solar flare. The larger picture for mankind isn’t always pretty, but the artwork displaying it surely is.

Unusual viewing perspectives add to the game’s visual distinctiveness, while the clever interplay of light and shadow to go with day and night transitions add fascinating realism to the backdrops. The cast of characters are just as well-drawn as their world, and emote credibly despite being two-dimensional and outlined in black ink. Cinematics are made of stylishly sketched and dramatically animated panels, which play out sequentially to create comic book-style pages. Coloured clips are often juxtaposed with black-and-white or silhouetted ones to enhance their impact, both in terms of design and as a storytelling device. The flourishes even carry over to utilities like the main menu and saved game archive, creating a cohesive visual experience throughout. For proving with great élan that hand-drawn craftsmanship is not a lost art form, A New Beginning wins the coveted title of Best Graphic Design for 2011.”

Heart

I dont see that, i see a game where everything is static and unfinished looking, and when there is movement or motion it goes from bad to worse.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top