• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieLady Kestrelwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I guess the (w)heel isn’t important since it was listed under “also carrying” rather than “essentials”. So I think we can leave it in there, and use “Go to Projection Booth” if necessary.

>e, s, w, s

I’m slightly lost, but this should be a new area of the park.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And here I thought that turning the tube into a tub would be for fun… Tongue

Edit: want to find out what the monocle does first:

> look at tub through monocle
> look at toes through monocle
> look at flash drive through monocle
> look at backpack through monocle

And to get rid of all the body parts:

> use gel on toes

Before going to the new area of the park, can we:

> take apple
> take pea
> use gel on pea

and just in case:

> use gel on apple

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wear monocle
Everything turns computer-monitor green when viewed through our right eye. And staring fixedly at anything will turn up its authenticity status.

>x tub
Now a handsome, giant-sized tub with RESTORATION GEL prominently emblazoned on the front.

In the tub is some restoration gel.

The monocle shows the residual form of the tube.

>x toes
It looks like a set of toes raggedly cut off with a bread knife. They weren’t, of course.

There is a dismissive blatt from the monocle, and transposed over the toes is a faint, greenish image of some tomes.

>x backpack
Mine: a little bit worn, but capacious. It doesn’t have any identifying marks on it, and I thought a brand-new bag would look more suspicious. It currently gapes open.

In the backpack is a flash drive.

The monocle pings happily as we sight the backpack with the crosshairs.

>x flash drive
This is it: all my notes; the syllable-and word-generating programs from which I built my language vocabulary; the lexicon and pronunciation guide and grammatical descriptions.

And then there’s the research to support the product: citations; copies of journal articles and scans from books; contact information for people in the outside world I think could help me.

It’s everything I’ve been working on for the last three years.

The monocle pings happily as we sight the flash drive with the crosshairs.

>use gel on toes
We dip out a fingertip-coating quantity of gel and rub it gently onto the toes. With an audible SPLORT, the toes become some tomes.

The tomes are too awkward for us to carry, and fall onto the floor.

>go to Midway

>get apple
We get the apple. Red-cheeked and rosy.

>get pea
We acquire the pea.

>use gel on pea
We dip out a fingertip-coating quantity of gel and rub it gently onto the pea. With an audible SPLORT, the pea becomes a pearl. It is small, slightly uneven, and pale blue in color. Not worth very much, but genuine.

>use gel on apple
We dip out a pea-sized quantity of gel and rub it gently onto the apple. Alas, nothing happens.

>ne

Park Center

This is a handsome expanse of grass, shaped like a rectangle with rounds cut from the corners, bounded by railings along the north side. There are no stalls and no barkers here, but small children are running around an impressive marble fountain.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Aha!
So if we had looked at the apple through the monocle, we wouldn’t have needed to apply the gel. Tongue

And the pea/pear was a pearl??? Smile

Are we just carrying the tub in our backpack???
That certainly beats having to rub gel on the tub, taking the tube and waving the e-remover at it whenever we need gel again.
And apparently the game isn’t too fussy about needing to close the backpack before going out in public.
We’d have died several times already in an early Sierra game, otherwise… Grin

> x railings
> x children
> x fountain

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x railings
Painted railings separate the Park and surrounding pedestrian areas from the private property to the north. Some lipstick advertisements have been hung over the railings.

>x fountain
It depicts some horses rising out of the waves, with trident-bearing gods on their backs, and some nymphs overseeing the whole operation. Probably 17th-century, to judge by the excessive number of writhing sculpted figures.

The fountain celebrates — if that’s the right word — the conquest of this island by the Dutch in 1607, it having been a Spanish possession for about 140 years before that.

In spite of this the fountain bears not a word of any foreign language, the original Latin or vernacular inscriptions having been long since renovated away.

>x children
They look small and harmless, but you’re probably right that they have sticky hands.

Something makes you think of your austere childhood.

>remember austere childhood
Your Childhood Bedroom

A small white room with a free-standing wardrobe full of modest home-made clothes; a plain-hewn bookshelf with Bible, study guides, a dictionary and thesaurus; and a sampler on the far wall that reads, “Our pursuit of perfection is our gift to God.” It’s done in very exact cross-stitch.

Then we’re back in the present.

EDIT: I’m a bit confused: I am Alex and you peeps are Andra, so is this Andra’s memory?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wow, this thread is moving like a freight train! What a golden age for forum playthroughs…  Cool

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 18 March 2021 12:13 PM

EDIT: I’m a bit confused: I am Alex and you peeps are Andra, so is this Andra’s memory?

I would assume so. I’m expecting som revelations about that later so maybe we’re meant to be in the dark for now, more or less.

Let’s head towards that hostel for the rest of our stuff.

>x lipstick advertisement

>se

diego - 18 March 2021 01:48 PM

Wow, this thread is moving like a freight train! What a golden age for forum playthroughs…  Cool

And we didn’t even need a 12 week voting process to decide on a game! Amazing…  Wink

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x lipstick advertisement
Over the image of a pouting, lipsticked female, it says: IN EVERY TEMPTRESS THERE IS AN EMPRESS — MAKE YOURSELF UP TO A T! It’s selling Temptress Brand cosmetics, apparently.

>se

Heritage Corner

This patch of the town square has been paved over in octagonal bricks and is commonly used for displays of traditional dancing: over-50 women in home-made embroidered aprons, skipping arm-in-arm and jumping over broomsticks.

No, there aren’t any here now. But trust me. It’s an unforgettable sight.

Under a bit of shelter in the corner, a diorama table shows scenes from local history, rotated out each week. This week’s diorama represents the first sitting of the Committee for the New Orthodox Orthography.

The park continues to the north and west; to the east is a backpackers’ hostel where you’ve stayed recently and where you stowed the rest of your important possessions.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>x diorama

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x diorama
The patriotic scene is set against the backdrop of the Bureau’s buildings ca. 1895, where the committee first met, but the historians have included a bit of the building exterior to show that the meetings were conducted under army guard. The writing of dictionaries has not always been bloodless.

The members and the army are movable, but the rest of the scenery appears to have been hot-glued in place.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>x members
>x army
>get members
>get army
>wave y-remover at army
>e

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x members
Mostly men and a few women, sternly dressed and with solemn expressions.

>x army
A collection of soldier figurines in blue uniforms.

>get members
We take the members.

>get army
We take the army.

>wave y-remover at army
We reset the device to y. We wave the Y-remover at the army and produce an arm, severed.

>e

Hostel

I take it this is where you stayed from the time you got to town until our operation. I would have expected that someone with your credentials would have been able to afford something better: The Fleur d’Or, maybe? But maybe you thought this was lower-profile. At least it’s clean and doesn’t smell funny.

The desk attendant is sort of eying us. She doesn’t recognize you — us — but that’s a good thing, I think.

Discarded in one corner is Guidebook to Anglophone Atlantis.

There’s a spiral staircase that leads up to the dormitory rooms.

You can LOOK UP interesting subjects IN books, if you like.
>

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

Use s-remover on hostel

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave s-remover at hostel

*** Run-time problem P10: Since the Hostel is not allowed the property “seen”, it is against the rules to try to use it.

We reset the device to s. The S-remover is powerless to make the Hostel into anything called “hotel”, but perhaps this is to be expected considering the size of the target. The device is after all a mere portable device with limited resources.

If we were to succeed in transforming the entire room — mercifully, that’s unlikely, given the power requirements — but if we did succeed, you and I would be rendered inanimate, along with any other hapless passers-by.

>out

Heritage Corner

>wave s-remover at hostel
The device buzzes, puzzled. It is unable to create anything recognizable called “hotel”, or perhaps it just doesn’t have sufficient power to handle the hostel.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

Drat! I thought the wish for more expensive lodgings might be a clue.

>Get guidebook

>x attendant

>talk to attendant

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top