• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>buy ticket
“I’d like to buy a ticket to this movie,” we say.

He names the price, which reminds me that we haven’t got any money at the moment. Awkward.

There’s probably a less above-board way of getting a ticket if we really want one, of course. Or we could go rescue your stash of money from storage. Your choice.

That last bit is a hint in my book. The one that really annoyed me came later. Do we want this type of hint? I could indicate where the game gives hints and leave it up to you people.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I don’t mind this kind of hint actually, it’s just a change to our objectives. Maybe just indicate the hint where it’s an outright puzzle solution?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The game is still giving us a choice, so it’s not too blatant a hint. Especially since I’m more inclined to look for the less above-board way first. Grin

Overly blatant hints where the game practically tells you what to do can be skipped, imo. Unless we’re stuck.

For now, let’s explore what we can (the lobby and the church).

> x lobby

> s
> w
> x church

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x lobby
Cinema Lobby
This is a small, one-screen theater. Evidently the next showing is not for a little while yet, because there are no patrons in sight.

The ticket-taker waits just west of us, at the entrance to the screening room, ready to take tickets.

>s

Church Forecourt
This corner of the park, in the lee of the church, has been left free of kiosks and booths. Contrary to the usual rules of cathedral layout, the New Church is oriented toward the north, so we are standing by the flank of the building, though there is an entrance on this side.

South and east lead to more of the park; there is a small cinema (where I left my pack) to the north, and the entrance to the New Church is west.

>w

New Church
Not a Gothic cathedral from the era when the church was wealthy and secure, but a gallant Neo-classical response to the turmoil of the 18th century, when the power of language was just beginning to be evident, and instead of an immutable cosmology, we suddenly had observer-consensus reality. What is the need or use of God, if it turns out that He gave all the power of creation to Adam when He let him name the animals?

An inscription above the altar, picked out in gold paint, reads Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος.

My mother volunteers here: I think I should warn you. She is not quite religious, but believes in the cultural value of the building, and in having some sort of place where people can go for spiritual respite. She also, I suspect, likes having those great gold letters, defiantly foreign and arcane in the heart of the old city.

There are side exits both east and west; and a gift shop occupies the narthex at the south end.

The Greek inscription says: In the beginning was the word.

I had to look up narthex. Antechamber, porch.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

> x church
> n
> x shop

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x church
New Church

Not a Gothic cathedral from the era when the church was wealthy and secure, but a gallant Neo-classical response to the turmoil of the 18th century, when the power of language was just beginning to be evident, and instead of an immutable cosmology, we suddenly had observer-consensus reality.

An inscription above the altar, picked out in gold paint, reads Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος.

There are side exits both east and west; and a gift shop occupies the narthex at the south end.

>s

Cathedral Gift Shop
This area used to be a sort of antechamber where the priests and choir might gather for processions into the church, but it has now been done over for retail purposes. This is one of several schemes to make the New Church pay for its own upkeep: a problem is that people somehow feel everything associated with a church ought to be free, including lunchtime concerts, potluck suppers, and Thursday-night lecture series.

The elderly man in charge of the gift shop nods at us as we come in.

A long line of dusty tomes are lined up on one of the shelves, marked “free for taking”. None are missing.

We could ask what is worth seeing in the New Church.

X location give the same description as LOOK, so no point in repeating it.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

TimovieMan - 18 March 2021 07:01 AM

Overly blatant hints where the game practically tells you what to do can be skipped, imo. Unless we’re stuck.

I agree.

>get tomes

And, just to continue with the body parts:

>wave m-removed at tomes

Finally:

>ask what is worth seeing

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>x tomes
Looking at one gives a sense of all. Extremely dusty, learned, and virtuous, such that I almost fall asleep just looking at it. It’s nothing so ribald as the Bible, or even a hymnal or order of service: it appears rather to be a selection of sermons of the 18th century, from a period when it was considered somehow exciting to sit through a three-hour discourse on theology.

>wave m-remover at tomes
We reset the device to m. We wave the M-remover at the tomes and produce some toes, severed.

“You broke it, you buy it,” says the volunteer. “Though the tomes were free. But please at least take your mess away with you when you leave.”

We want to ask what is worth seeing in the New Church.

>get toes
We get the toes. It looks like a set of toes raggedly cut off with a bread knife. They weren’t, of course.

His voice quavers. “Could I interest you in the purchase of a souvenir tea towel? Or a shot glass? Or perhaps a paper model of the church.”

I’m inclined to decline to buy trashy souvenirs.

>what is worth seeing in the New Church
If you’re trying to converse with other characters, the suggestions in the text provide possible phrasings; so if you read “I might ask about lentils.”, you might phrase your command ASK ABOUT LENTILS. Introducing other words or variant phrasings that weren’t part of the suggestion may confuse the game.

Alternatively, if you just want to take an action in the game world, try giving a direct command, such as EXAMINE THE ASP or WAVE THE P-REMOVER AT THE PHONEY.

>ask about church
That doesn’t seem to be a topic of conversation at the moment.

>ask man about church
That doesn’t seem to be a topic of conversation at the moment.

>topics
We could mock the trashy souvenirs or decline to buy trashy souvenirs.

What the f…!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>mock souvenirs
We snort. “There’s nothing here I would buy if my money were on fire.”

“Not even a lovely illustrated retelling of the story of Ananias and Sapphira?” suggests the volunteer. “So inspiring for any young children in your life.” I’ve no idea what he’s talking about, but you recall them as a couple who lied about their donations to the early church and were punished with death.

“The divine enforcement policy isn’t what it used to be,” you say.

He looks at us keenly. “I used to be a curate,” says the volunteer reminiscently. “Had myself smuggled into the country disguised as a crate, and that all but killed me. But I was determined to be a missionary and bring the population of Atlantis back into the fold. And now look. It’s come to this.”

My response would be to ask what is worth seeing in the New Church.

>what is worth seeing in the new church
“So tell me, what should I be looking for in the New Church?” we ask.

“Other than God?” he asks dryly.

Hm — the volunteers aren’t very well trained, are they? I was expecting something about the points of architectural interest.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Haha this game is nuts.. loving it

And can we ask about other stuff?

>ask about God

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>ask about God
“Are you a believer?” we ask.

“Some of the time. The rest of the time I just wish I were.” He flattens his hands on the surface of the counter. They are veiny, with coarse thick nails. Some reflection about the end of life, or the perspective of old age, seems inevitable. But he says: “You choose to believe or not. There’s no such thing as absolute proof. So then the question is, do you want to believe in God? And, if so, what kind of God do you want to believe in? You go from there.”

We could ask what sort of God he believes in or ask why he is here.

>ask what sort of god he believes in
“What sort of God do you believe in, then?” we ask. This isn’t exactly how I expected this conversation to go, but no doubt you have some reason of your own for chatting with random strangers about their deeply held beliefs while we are supposed to be fleeing the country.

“Today?” He shrugs his cardigan-clad shoulders. “I figure he’s a good enough type but he’s a little tired of humans. Who wouldn’t be? It might be that he’s working on a new project and he’s gotten distracted from us.”

I’d like to ask what new project that might be.

>ask about project
“What kind of new project?”

“If I knew, I’d be the almighty, wouldn’t I?” He looks at us thoughtfully and I almost have the feeling he knows something I don’t want him to know. “You should keep moving. Don’t waste time,” he says.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Can he tell we’re a hybrid person? Gasp

Let’s use the other exit of the church.

> n
> w
> look

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

TimovieMan - 18 March 2021 09:01 AM

Can he tell we’re a hybrid person? Gasp

Either that, or he really is God…

I’m wondering if this game is the first to provide a dialogue tree in a text adventure? I like it, it takes the busywork out of spending hours typing in things to ask.
(Which you still can do, if you want - ha! suck on that, graphic adventures!)  Tongue

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 18 March 2021 09:12 AM

I’m wondering if this game is the first to provide a dialogue tree in a text adventure?

Dialogue tree?? I type everything. Whatever gave you the idea I didn’t have to?

>n
New Church

>w
Church Garden

One might expect a graveyard, but burial inside the city walls has been forbidden for sanitation reasons since well before the New Church was built. Instead, there is a small meditation garden, which was once designed as an intricate knotwork of shrubs.

The knotwork has since grown into a thicket.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Aha, that solves our cinema problem. Tongue

> wave h-remover at thicket
> take ticket
> e
> e
> n
> give ticket to ticket-taker

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top