• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #8: Counterfeit Monkey

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 17 March 2021 07:33 PM

Home assignment for TimovieMan: Find 3 words in the descriptions that we could use our remover on if the game lets us. Tongue

Let’s just

> Go through barrier

Tongue

Although I’m curious if we can make the fair disappear by removing the F…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have no idea why Emily would make us type OPEN BARRIER or GO THROUGH BARRIER when all you have to do is type n. I noticed before that she is a little too verbose for my taste.

>n
We open the temporary barrier.

I’m glad to see you’re feeling ready to face the wider world. Here’s what we think we need to do:
  Get my backpack from the cinema
  Retrieve your remaining possessions from locker at hostel
  Meet your colleague Slango at Counterfeit Monkey

[To go over our current goals, type GOALS at any time.]

Fair
Today is Serial Comma Day, one of the biggest holidays on the island, and a time when half the police force is off duty while the other half is over-extended. The perfect day to make an escape. The square at the center of town is therefore crowded with people, and there’s an overpowering smell of artificial butter and spun sugar.

We are surrounded by kiosks for spell-offs, face-painting, a wheel to spin for prizes, and other activities best for small children or the very easily amused.

The Fair continues with a selection of carnival games to the west, and with open park to the north and east.

[Your score has gone up by three points and is now four.]

You can pick things up when you see them, like this: TAKE THE WHEEL.
>

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 17 March 2021 07:37 PM

Although I’m curious if we can make the fair disappear by removing the F…

Good one! I never thought of that, although I’m proud to announce I tried the remover on window, alley, and paint.

>wave f-remover at fair

*** Run-time problem P10: Since Fair is not allowed the property “seen”, it is against the rules to try to use it.

We reset the device to f. In a blink of an eye, Fair ceases to exist, and we are part of it, and go also.

I’ve always wondered what this last passage to non-existence might be like. It turns out that there is a rushing noise, and a tunnel we travel very rapidly towards darkness; and all around us are other objects also in the middle of ceasing to be.

That is, that’s what would have happened if we had done something so foolish. Shall we suppose we didn’t? >> 
Please answer yes or no.>

>no

***We have left existence behind***

>undo
Fair

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

PS: It dawned on me just now that we are three non-native speakers: Swedish, Belgian, and Dutch. How about giom, Luhr, Cicerone? At least two of you are native English speakers, right? Might be important in a game that has language at its core.

Yes, native English here.

I don’t think we’ll have any trouble anyway, judging by the difficulty level so far.

>get wheel

>x kiosks

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>get wheel
Well done. Now you’ll get a message to tell you whether you succeeded in picking up something:

We take the wheel. It’s the sort of game where you spin the wheel for a prize. No one seems to be manning or using it any more, though; perhaps the supply of prizes has run out.

The wheel is far too large for us to carry, and falls onto the ground.

To save your current position, type SAVE. RESTORE allows you to bring back a game you have previously saved.

>x kiosks
They’re the usual tacky affairs of brightly painted fiberboard and cheap prizes. I don’t see any likely to help us today, however.

The map and compass can be switched off by typing GRAPHICS OFF. If you change your mind later, switch them back on with GRAPHICS ON.
>

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 17 March 2021 08:56 PM

I don’t think we’ll have any trouble anyway, judging by the difficulty level so far.

We haven’t done anything yet, no puzzles, nada. Just tutorial stuff. The game starts now with the 3 goals.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Okay. Well, getting the backpack from the cinema seems like a simple goal to begin with.

But I want to try this first:
>wave w-remover at wheel

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave w-remover at wheel
We reset the device to w. We wave the W-remover at the wheel and produce a heel, severed (because after all it would be beyond the parameters of the change to generate the person whose body part it is). It is only moderately gory, and most locals get used to seeing this kind of thing as a prank from six-year-olds every halloween. Still, it might startle a tourist.

>

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

>get heel

>x heel

Luhr28 - 17 March 2021 09:16 PM

Okay. Well, getting the backpack from the cinema seems like a simple goal to begin with.

Okay, let’s move towards the cinema. It looks to be northwest of here from the map on the first page.

>w

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

PS: It dawned on me just now that we are three non-native speakers: Swedish, Belgian, and Dutch. How about giom, Luhr, Cicerone? At least two of you are native English speakers, right? Might be important in a game that has language at its core.

Given most of the non-native speakers’ grasp on the English language here, I doubt this’ll be a problem.

Luhr28 - 17 March 2021 09:16 PM

But I want to try this first:
>wave w-remover at wheel

I was thinking the exact same thing. Grin

Chances are I’d be spending more time trying to remove letters from things than trying to advance the game.

For now, though, it seems that the devs have thought of everything. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>get heel
We pick up the heel. Calloused and leathery, a gruesome souvenir of years of unhappy shoe-wearing.

>x heel
Calloused and leathery, a gruesome souvenir of years of unhappy shoe-wearing.

>w

Midway
Here in front of the pharmacy in the southwestern corner of the town square, various contests have been set up — a strong-man hammering contest, a contest to see who can burst the most balloons using a styrofoam dart-plane, and so on.

I assume you’ve noticed, though, the word-balance, which comes up as high as our hip. On the right pan is an apple and on the left a pear. 

Beside the word-balance is a barker in a blue suit, the same regulation blue used by the Bureau of Orthography. The barker is also carrying a tube.

“One tube of restoration gel goes to the first person who can unbalance the word-balance!” cries the barker, glance sweeping the crowd.

I’d like to ask what the gel is worth, ask whether the game is rigged, or ask whether anyone ever wins.

[Type TOPICS to repeat current conversation topics and suggest new ones.]

>is the game rigged
“I know this kind of game,” we say, in our most jaded voice. “The scale is probably nailed in place so that it can’t tip.” One or two of the crowd standing nearby seem impressed by this line of argument. A small boy whispers to his sister to ask whether that could be true.

“Nonsense,” says the barker angrily. To demonstrate the point, he pushes down on the left pan, and the scales tip and sway. He soon restores them to balance, though.

“And don’t think that will count for you,” he adds. “You have to put them out of balance yourself. No surrogates, substitutes, or alternatives allowed.”

The bell of the hammering contest clangs.

“Step up and try your hand at the fabulous word-balance!” calls the barker appealingly.

I’d like to ask what the gel is worth or ask whether anyone ever wins.

>what is the gel worth
“Is the gel very valuable?” we ask. “Is it new, and in good condition? Is the entire tube present?”

“Yes, of course, and absolutely,” he says, making a gesture as though to show us the gel, but actually not letting us catch more than the label.

Somewhere in the vicinity a balloon pops loudly.

“One tube of restoration gel goes to the first person who can unbalance the word-balance!” cries the barker, glance sweeping the crowd.

My response would be to ask whether anyone ever wins.

>does anyone ever win
“Does anyone ever win?” we ask.

“No one has won today,” he says, which is not an answer.

The bell of the hammering contest clangs.

“Put the beam out of alignment and win a fabulous prize!” says the barker, holding up a tube.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have no idea how useful conversations based on the TOPICS are. They may be fun or provide background, but I’m reminded of Lost Pig and the endless list of useless topics to discuss with the gnome guy.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

For fun:

> wave p-remover at apple
> wave p-remover at pear

More serious effort:

> wave r-remover at pear

Oh, hey, that completes my home assignment… Grin

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>wave p-remover at apple
We reset the device to p. There’s a smell of fermenting apple, then cider, then something more malty. In the apple’s place there is now a glass of nutbrown ale.

There is a cheer from the spectators. The word-balance tilts slowly but inexorably.

The barker looks astonished and displeased, except for a fraction of a second when he just noticeably winks. With exaggerated bad grace hands us some restoration gel. “There’s your prize. And now this contest is over.”

He stalks away.

[Your score has gone up by three points and is now seven.]

>undo
Midway

[Previous turn undone.]

>wave p-remover at pear
We reset the device to p. We wave the P-remover at the pear and produce an ear, severed.

There is a disgusted gasp from the spectators. The word-balance tilts slowly but inexorably.

The barker looks astonished and displeased, except for a fraction of a second when he just noticeably winks. With exaggerated bad grace hands us some restoration gel. “There’s your prize. And now this contest is over.”

He stalks away.

>undo
Midway

[Previous turn undone.]

>wave r-remover at pear
With a distinct whiff of vegetable matter, the pear turns into a pea. Just a single green pea.

If I weren’t violently allergic to peas, I’m sure that would be much less menacing.

There is a cheer from the spectators. The word-balance tilts slowly but inexorably.

He stalks away.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

This could also be fun to try before he leaves:

>wave r-remover at barker

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top