• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #65 - Keepsake

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Chrissie,
If the map isn’t included in CD version, I will post it here.  You won’t be able to see the highlighted areas, but it’ll give you the layout.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Lady Kestrel, I’ll get back to you on that if needed.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m not going to discuss any plot points or specific puzzles, just my impressions as I go.

You can tell that this game came out in the dire days of adventure games, as it offers a tutorial for what is a pretty basic interface.

The introduction-into-gameplay segue lacks a segue and seems like quite a non-sequitur. We’ll see if that’s by design or just clumsy storytelling.

The voice acting is not up to modern standards, but it’s pleasant. The protagonist has a different sort of voice than you usually hear in games.

You can skip dialogue, but when an NPC is speaking, they seem to need to finish their animations before proceeding to the next line, so not really much of a time saver.

Navigation is going to be a bit of a Grim Fandango style ‘oh, I didn’t know there was even a room/area in that direction’ affair, I can already tell.

I like that there is a fairly substantive logic puzzle right at the beginning. If the game is full of these, I’ll be very happy.

The art design and graphics are nice. Very reminiscent of Syberia in terms of what they are trying to do.

Warning you now: There will be pixel hunts in this game.

Speaking of Syberia, there is a definite leaning toward ‘show, don’t tell’ here. There are many lovely details that are there to be observed, but not explicitly interacted with. I like this, in this type of adventure game.

Speaking of Syberia, there seems to be lots of ‘empty’ (ie. Unclickable) spaces to explore. This might be a good thing for creating a believable world and setting a strong atmosphere, but if overdone it could become annoying. At least there is a map.

Overall, it’s pleasant and could go either way. Looking forward to playing more.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great!

I can’t wait to enter into the academy and unlock its secrets, unfortunately my wife and I are testing Contradiction’s translation into Spanish (8 years married and it’s the first time I managed to convince her to play an adventure game with me, and only because is FMV…)

So I promise to catch up this weekend.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I could never get my late husband to play, even by trying to tempt him with Full Throttle.  He got a kick out of Ben’s over-the-top rig, but he was more content building bikes and riding them than he was playing games about them.

One of the things I’ve noticed when playing Keepsake is it’s sometimes difficult to find the navigation cursor, especially along a walkway with a railing.  Sometimes you have to go back a step to change the camera view before you go forward.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Yeah, I’m noticing that with the camera, at times I thought I was playing Alone In The Dark. By the way, I don’t have the map either, so hopefully when you post it it will help with exploration.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Here’s the map.  You can see where I was when I took the screenshot. Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 March 2021 07:17 PM

I could never get my late husband to play, even by trying to tempt him with Full Throttle.  He got a kick out of Ben’s over-the-top rig, but he was more content building bikes and riding them than he was playing games about them.

One of the things I’ve noticed when playing Keepsake is it’s sometimes difficult to find the navigation cursor, especially along a walkway with a railing.  Sometimes you have to go back a step to change the camera view before you go forward.

Too bad you couldn’t temp him with Kathy Rain…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Thank you for the map Lady K.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

For those of you who don’t have a map, download a patch here https://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_start/Downloads/Download/45276.html

Then, you can bring a map with a TAB (I believe, I’m not near my computer now)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I loaded up the game, scanned the comments and thought I was ready for Mustavio, but he went in pretty hard with the faux-accent. Like a Dutch TV commercial for microwave pizza.

Really dig the graphics. Love how you get to move around and explore the environment. I’ll catch up as quickly as I can.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I started the game, first time playing it.

Just finished the tutorial. It gives me some “old game” vibes, but this is not something necessarily bad. The graphics look good for its age too. I will comment more when I see more from the first part of the game. Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 March 2021 08:59 PM

Here’s the map.

Thank you! I can’t be sure that I had the map to start with from the DVD version but it was definitely there after I downloaded the patch.

diego - 17 March 2021 05:20 AM

For those of you who don’t have a map, download a patch here https://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_start/Downloads/Download/45276.html

Then, you can bring a map with a TAB (I believe, I’m not near my computer now)

Thanks diego, I got my patch from gamepressure. I haven’t tried to bring up the map with the TAB key yet but there is an icon with arrows that sits in the bottom left-hand corner of the game screen that brings up the map if you click on it.

I haven’t finished wandering around just yet but have come across the doll & consequently the vision prompting Zak to mention that you need to turn the power on.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Am I the only one who loves the graphics?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Steam version of the game has that map icon.  I’m glad there’s a patch for it.

VP,
Despite his accent, I like Mustavio’s enthusiasm.  As far as moving around goes, I feel like I’ve lost 20 pounds just watching Lydia run around the place. Smile

I love the graphics, Walas, from the beautiful dragon art to the outdoor vistas. 

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top