• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretinrtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 15 March 2021 03:50 AM
cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:27 PM

If you can’t understand what I’m saying, that it was originally a mixture of elements (including comedy) rather than the outright comedy it developed into, I’ll leave you with your review quotes that don’t even seem to back up your argument.

It’s 100% comedy.
Maybe the Telltale MI has some clearer horror elements, but I really can’t see how LucasArts MI games could be described anything but comedy.

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:27 PM

But finally, I can point to several scenes especially in the later acts of the first game lacking any comedy. Why would these be there, in a comedy game, if they served no comedic purpose?

Which ones, specifically?
I seem to recall that quite literally everything in the first game was comedy.

But as an answer to your last question, regardless of which game or movie we are talking about, it’s a technique called build up and release. Like in a comedy movie about some detective solving a crime, there can be moments which are not that funny that will build up for the moments that will be funny.

Exactlty, my whole pt was since the beginning monkey island was seen as a comedy series. It did not devolve into being seen as a comedy bc of monkey island 2 or 3 as the poster said.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Renacimiento - 15 March 2021 01:49 AM

What is the argument here? One says it’s a mix of genres and the other says that even though there are other elements, it’s really just a comedy? I don’t understand where this discussion is going honestly. We’d be in a different situation if one said it’s a pure comedy and the other said it’s pure horror, someone would have a problem of perception, but that’s not happening.
- What? It’s just a comedy game for you? Ok.
- What? It’s a mix of genres including comedy for you? Ok.

Personally I care little when a reviewer or even if a developer tries to explain the meaning or the intention with his/her game/movie or whatever. Like an author of a song trying to explain what his/her song means, I don’t care anymore. The meaning for me was personal from the moment I heard it.

I am saying it is a pure comedy, but every piece of entertainment has some elements of other genres in it, from books to movies and tv shows. But lets be honest again for every 1 serious moment in monkey island there are a 100 comedic ones. So the argument is was Monkey Island seen as a comedy at the time t was released and it definitely was. The series did not turn into a comedy because of Monkey Island 2 or 3 like the other poster said bc it was always seen as a comedy game first and foremost.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Renacimiento - 15 March 2021 01:49 AM

What is the argument here? One says it’s a mix of genres and the other says that even though there are other elements, it’s really just a comedy? I don’t understand where this discussion is going honestly. We’d be in a different situation if one said it’s a pure comedy and the other said it’s pure horror, someone would have a problem of perception, but that’s not happening.
- What? It’s just a comedy game for you? Ok.
- What? It’s a mix of genres including comedy for you? Ok.

Personally I care little when a reviewer or even if a developer tries to explain the meaning or the intention with his/her game/movie or whatever. Like an author of a song trying to explain what his/her song means, I don’t care anymore. The meaning for me was personal from the moment I heard it.

Well, the idea of this thread is to debate the legacy of games and the one commenter is arguing that the genre difference is a key point in what makes CMI a worse game than 1 & 2. So I’m pretty sure all this argument is relevant to the topic at hand…

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

mattaukamp - 15 March 2021 09:12 AM

Well, the idea of this thread is to debate the legacy of games and the one commenter is arguing that the genre difference is a key point in what makes CMI a worse game than 1 & 2. So I’m pretty sure all this argument is relevant to the topic at hand…

Never mind about all of that & to get back to the point of the thread did the reviewers overrate it?  Laughing

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I think MI 1-2 and CMI just use different approaches to comedy. 1 and 2 lean more towards situational comedy, gags and short puns while CMI relies on wacky characters and dialogues - there’s lots and lots of talking in that game, and since Larry Ahern and Jonathan Ackley are not exactly stand-up comedians, I often felt the game failed to deliver its humour and only shined when characters themselves were funny (Murray) or when the devs also managed to create a funny situation (El Pollo Diablo or getting into the tomb).

Just rewatched the intro to CMI. The whole conversation between Elaine and LeChuck is SO painfully unfunny and cliched, like it was written by a schoolboy who wants to be a pirate scriptwriter. And yet we are constantly shown silly-looking skeleton pirates, Murray included, as well as some other visual gags that make it more enjoyable to watch. And that’s pretty much how the game worked for me. I also felt that the running theme of “Caribbeans as a tourist attraction” was a wrong turn for the whole series.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

chrissie - 15 March 2021 10:24 AM

Never mind about all of that & to get back to the point of the thread did the reviewers overrate it?  Laughing

Grin nope, it rules!

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

mattaukamp - 15 March 2021 12:46 PM
chrissie - 15 March 2021 10:24 AM

Grin nope, it rules!

Agreed!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

What about 7th guest, some gamers are over the moon about it and others loathe it.

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 March 2021 01:29 PM

What about 7th guest, some gamers are over the moon about it and others loathe it.

OOOOOF Good one! I really loved the puzzles but hated the cheesy acting, the terrible voice-over, and how twisty and horrible it was to find your way around the mansion.

It’s 11th Hour that baffles me: How does anyone like that game!???

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The intro to CMI is super funny. Elaine trying to let LeChuck down gently juxtaposed with a canon fire pirate battle is a great gag. It’s drawing on cliches for the purpose of subverting them. That’s the joke.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 March 2021 01:29 PM

Haha, I was actually thinking of posting it in the underrated thread. For what it achieved, I think it’s underrated, for the recognition it gets right now. As a game? Could go either way, depending on your taste.

I know I spent hours and hours trying to solve the 11th Hour during the Christmas holidays the year it came out, so I have some fondness for it.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of the FMV adventures of yore ride an ebbing and flowing wave of popularity and disfavor? One day the the 7th Guest, 11th Hour, and Phantasmagoria are being hailed, and the next they’re disparaged. Having never played it myself, I’m still trying to figure out whether the prevailing sentiment regarding Phantasmagoria is Transcendental Masterpiece or Abysmal Failure. Likewise for the 11th Hour and A Puzzle of Flesh.
I suppose the 7th Guest is more consistent: Very good for what it was, when it was, but transparently one dimensional nowadays. That said, it’s really just a spooky Professor Layton with about 1/10th of the puzzles and, speaking subjectively, charm.
Old man Stauff and the introduction gave me nightmares as a kid.

So, the 7th Guest: Properly rated at the time (as being very good), and generally properly today, using the modern standards, as ‘good for the time it was released’, not quite so essential anymore.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Phantasmagoria only has a score of 2.5 on this site so hardly overrated unless you think it was so terrible it didn’t even deserve that.

We had a playthrough (unofficial?) of this way back in 2016 initiated by karlok & it was the first time I’d played it. It took a little while searching around trying to trigger what it was you needed to do to get the game going but after that I was hooked!

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’ve never seen anyone call Phantasmagoria a masterpiece. I’ve seen people who think it’s cheesy fun despite its flaws but definitely not that level of praise.

The most praise I’ve seen for FMV adventures would probably be the Tex Murphy games and Gabriel Knight 2 (which I’ve played and is great). Contradiction’s really good, too.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think the tex murphy series is overrated by some. They are fun and good, but are not the best like some say.

I still think the best fmv game is not an adventure game but a spacefighter shooter called wing commander 4

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top