• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 09:22 PM
Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 09:11 PM

I see one romance element in monkey island, but monkey island would never be tagged as romance or horror game.

No one argued that it would.

You def acted like monkey island got pigeonholed into the comedy genre as a series. Im just pointing out that it was always a comedy series. Monkey island is an upscaled spoof on the pirate/adventure genre. Just like mel brook’s young Frankenstein movie is a spoof of old horror classics. That still doesnt change the fact that Young Frankenstein is a comedy movie and not a horror film even though it pays homage to horror classics. Same for monkey island

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 08:51 PM

Never been scary? My 8 year old self begs to differ. LeChuck sailing on his ghost ship in a lava hell with ghost pirate minions was very much so.

It had humor. So did Lord of the Rings.

The “not scary” argument just smacks of a fat movie watcher who’s seen 40,000 horror movies and is no longer affected by anything, trying to argue Frankenstein and Dracula aren’t horror.

I hardly ever watch horror movies. I hardly ever watch any movies. When I do, they are usually kids movies/family movies. I’m quite fit from riding bicycles up and down mountains 20 hours a week. The Dracula novel by Bram Stoker scared the bejeezus out of me. Monkey Island might have scared you, but it isn’t a horror game. Lots of things scared me as a kid —LOTS of things— but that didn’t make them ‘horror’ as a genre; it only made them horrifying to me.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 March 2021 09:43 PM

Never been scary? My 8 year old self begs to differ. LeChuck sailing on his ghost ship in a lava hell with ghost pirate minions was very much so.

The “not scary” argument just smacks of a fat movie watcher who’s seen 40,000 horror movies and is no longer affected by anything, trying to argue Frankenstein and Dracula aren’t horror.

I hardly ever watch horror movies. I hardly ever watch any movies. When I do, they are usually kids movies/family movies. I’m easily the fittest person on this forum, unless there’s anyone else here who bicycles up and down mountains 20 hours a week. The Dracula novel by Bram Stoker scared the bejeezus out of me. Monkey Island might have scared you, but it isn’t a horror game. Lots of things scared me as a kid —LOTS of things— but that didn’t make them ‘horror’ as a genre; it only made them horrifying to me.

For every 1 horror or romance element in monkey island there is a 100 comedy elements.

Im getting fat in my older age, but i still hike all the time, headed to pigeon forge tomorrow, cant wait to do some trails.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg, we might be neighbors. I live right outside Shenandoah National Park, in VA.
Enjoy the Smokies—so nice down there!

Edited that line in my post about fitness to be less snarky.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I hardly ever watch horror movies. I hardly ever watch any movies. When I do, they are usually kids movies/family movies. I’m quite fit from riding bicycles up and down mountains 20 hours a week. The Dracula novel by Bram Stoker scared the bejeezus out of me. Monkey Island might have scared you, but it isn’t a horror game. Lots of things scared me as a kid —LOTS of things— but that didn’t make them ‘horror’ as a genre; it only made them horrifying to me.

I’m wondering if anyone on here reads posts properly. No one said MI was a horror series. Horror elements? Yes. Horror game? No.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 March 2021 09:58 PM

Jdawg, we might be neighbors. I live right outside Shenandoah National Park, in VA.
Enjoy the Smokies—so nice down there!

Edited that line in my post about fitness to be less snarky.

Why i liked the snark, it matched the snark thrown up first. Thanks i just hope the weather holds out. I live in ga, but i love Tn

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 09:34 PM

I see one romance element in monkey island, but monkey island would never be tagged as romance or horror game.

You def acted like monkey island got pigeonholed into the comedy genre as a series. Im just pointing out that it was always a comedy series. Monkey island is an upscaled spoof on the pirate/adventure genre. Just like mel brook’s young Frankenstein movie is a spoof of old horror classics. That still doesnt change the fact that Young Frankenstein is a comedy movie and not a horror film even though it pays homage to horror classics. Same for monkey island

Well, I see this as revisionism. I’d like someone to post some reviews from around the release time to find out if it was viewed that way.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:03 PM

I’m wondering if anyone on here reads posts properly. No one said MI was a horror series. Horror elements? Yes. Horror game? No.

I read it properly, you were trying to imply that monkey island was not meant to be a comedy adventure game series, by pointing out very minute “elements” from other genres such as horror and romance in the game. When Cleary it was always meant to be a comedy series from monkey island 1, onwards

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:06 PM
Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 09:34 PM

Well, I see this as revisionism. I’d like someone to post some reviews from around the release time to find out if it was viewed that way.

Taken from mi1 Wikipedia page

Hartley, Patricia, and Kirk Lesser of Dragon praised the designers’ attention to detail, and cited the game’s humor as a high point.

Duncan MacDonald of Zero praised the graphics and found the game “quite amusing”. His favorite aspect was the fine-tuned difficulty level, which he believed was “just right”. He ended his review, “At last an adventure game that’s enjoyable rather than frustrating.”

Paul Glancey of Computer and Video Games consider the game superior to Lucasfilm’s earlier adventure titles, and wrote that, “Usually the entertainment you get from an adventure is derived solely from solving puzzles, but the hilarious characters and situations, and the movie-like presentation ... make playing this more like taking part in a comedy film, so it’s much more enjoyable.”

Amiga Power’s Mark Ramshaw wrote, “With The Secret of Monkey Island, the mouse-controlled, graphic-adventure comes of age.” He lauded its comedic elements, which he believed were the highlight of the game.

As you see comedy and humor is mentioned constantly.

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 10:08 PM

I read it properly, you were trying to imply that monkey island was not meant to be a comedy adventure game series, by pointing out very minute “elements” from other genres such as horror and romance in the game. When Cleary it was always meant to be a comedy series from monkey island 1, onwards

I’m not going to participate in this childish debate. If you can’t understand what I’m saying, that it was originally a mixture of elements (including comedy) rather than the outright comedy it developed into, I’ll leave you with your review quotes that don’t even seem to back up your argument.

But finally, I can point to several scenes especially in the later acts of the first game lacking any comedy. Why would these be there, in a comedy game, if they served no comedic purpose?

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:27 PM

I’m not going to participate in this childish debate. If you can’t understand what I’m saying, that it was originally a mixture of elements (including comedy) rather than the outright comedy it developed into, I’ll leave you with your review quotes that don’t even seem to back up your argument.

But finally, I can point to several scenes especially in the later acts of the first game lacking any comedy. Why would these be there, in a comedy game, if they served no comedic purpose?

Lol ooook. All those reviews mention comedy or humor, not one mentioned any horror or romance elements at all, probably bc they were so very minute and didnt scare them. Of course the game was not a sketch so every scene was not a punchline to a joke. But the fact remains you asked for reviews that backed up the claim that it was viewed as a comedy themed game upon release. Sorry you didnt like the results. Cheers

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

There’s literally a ghost romance subplot in Curse of Monkey Island. There is spooky stuff and romantic stuff and scary stuff and thrilling stuff in CMI. Plus, there are plenty of moments in CMI that are dramatic and serve no comedic purpose.

Likewise, there’s plenty of moments in… I dunno… SHREK that are only used for drama, but no one would say that’s not a comedy movie.

Your argument that LOTR has funny moments but isn’t a comedy only furthers the idea that just because there is romance and spooky stuff in Secret of Monkey Island, doesn’t disqualify it from it’s prime genre: Comedy.

Also, some skeletal ghost pirates who juggle their own heads and you tickle with feathers and banter with each other is hardly “HORROR.” “Spooky” I’d think would be sufficient.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

It’s so funny to think that someone saw the Elaine/Guybrush thing as “romantic,” also when the conclusion to their “romance” in that game is Guybrush telling Elaine not to over-pay for computer games. Clearly it was a parody of romance.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

What is the argument here? One says it’s a mix of genres and the other says that even though there are other elements, it’s really just a comedy? I don’t understand where this discussion is going honestly. We’d be in a different situation if one said it’s a pure comedy and the other said it’s pure horror, someone would have a problem of perception, but that’s not happening.
- What? It’s just a comedy game for you? Ok.
- What? It’s a mix of genres including comedy for you? Ok.

Personally I care little when a reviewer or even if a developer tries to explain the meaning or the intention with his/her game/movie or whatever. Like an author of a song trying to explain what his/her song means, I don’t care anymore. The meaning for me was personal from the moment I heard it.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

If you can’t understand what I’m saying, that it was originally a mixture of elements (including comedy) rather than the outright comedy it developed into, I’ll leave you with your review quotes that don’t even seem to back up your argument.

It’s 100% comedy.
Maybe the Telltale MI has some clearer horror elements, but I really can’t see how LucasArts MI games could be described anything but comedy.

Which ones, specifically?
I seem to recall that quite literally everything in the first game was comedy.

But as an answer to your last question, regardless of which game or movie we are talking about, it’s a technique called build up and release. Like in a comedy movie about some detective solving a crime, there can be moments which are not that funny that will build up for the moments that will be funny.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top