• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sally Face got 3.5 & personally I think it should have got only 1 for misleading the players. I don’t like to diss developers but in this case they truly deserve it.
I followed the very intriguing story for 3 episodes cosily. All of a sudden in episode 4 I’ve got to do some very difficult timed puzzles which I just couldn’t do. I can’t remember whether I could play chapter 5 but I do know I just absolutely hated the way the story went & ! just feel that the whole game as much as I enjoyed those first few chapters was a complete waste of time as i couldn’t finish due to the challenges. After paying for the game I had to catch up on YT to see what happened. Okay I didn’t agree with the way the story went but my objection is that this game changed the gameplay.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

walas74 - 14 March 2021 09:20 AM

- We will never agree (some people think MI3 is the best of the series, some people think is a worthy succesor for the first two classics, some people think is the worst of the series). Same goes to lovers/haters of The Longest Journey, Syberia, Unavowed, Thimbleweed Park etcetera, etcetera…

Personally I rate CMI as the second best in the series since I found Escape and Tales to be inferior while I also have trouble choosing between 1 and 2 - they are like one long game to me, only divided into two chapters, somewhat similar to the Back to the Future trilogy (the movies, the movies, not the terrible Telltale games!). And I’m certainly not a hater, can’t hate something with Murray in it. But, as I wrote, I’m a purist, maybe because I played the first games first. Although I hadn’t played them at the the time of CMI pre-release, I read a lot about it in PC mags and wanted to play it so badly. But wasn’t able for some reason.

giom - 14 March 2021 09:27 AM

You know the feeling of finishing a great novel, or a great movie and being content while at the same time being sad it’s over? I remember really feeling that with The Dig. I don’t always get that with every games…

Yes, that’s how I felt the first time I finished The Dig, like I’ve seen something grand and epic coming to an end. Even though the game wasn’t exactly a space opera or the war of worlds, just a slow exploration of a dead civilization in an attempt to return 3 astronauts home. A very impressive effect gained by using all means available - story, worldbuilding, art and, of course, music.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Exactly, for me Guybrush in MI2 feels like an expected evolution. He’s more mature, he’s grown since the first game and has a been around for a while.

I love this Monkey Island conversation, because it perfectly exemplifies something that technology has removed from most games today: THE POWER OF IMAGINATION!
....Okay, I just wanted to say THE POWER OF IMAGINATION!
To be more precise, it exemplifies how, largely or entirely due to technological limitations, the games of yore left something to your imagination. It was up to the player to fill in the blanks. Despite the semi-serious semi-dark box art, in my imagination Guybrush was always the guy from Monkey Island 3, or very close. There was no dissonance between MI2 and MI3. That’s just the way my imagination filled in the blanks left by the relatively limited technology of the age.
It’s cool that other people filled out the world in significantly different colors and shades. And it doesn’t really hurt anyone—each of us can enjoy the game the way we want to.

Thaaaat said! I mean, think about what you do in Monkey Island 2. You enter win a spitting contest by splicing grog and using a crazy straw. You operate a crank by getting a hypnotized piano playing monkey all bent out of shape. You steal a key by nailing an insurance salesman into a coffin (one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen/done, in real life, books, movies, or games),  among much else. C’mon, this game is Looney Toons all the way. Or almost all the way. You do engage in a few legitimate acts of piracy, such as stealing library books.
Actually, more I think about it, the Tales of Monkey Island game is probably Guybrush at his most notoriously piratey.

Now, thaaaaat said, I understand how you might be frustrated that MI 3 does not align with *your* idea of what Monkey Island and Guybrush are/were. Similar things happen all the time in many different areas of life.

And thaaaaaaaaat said, like I said before, if the direction that MI3 went is not even the vague general direction that Ron Gilbert wanted the series to go, I feel for him. But, once again, it’s an example of how when an artist puts something out into the world, he had better cling tight to his own ideas of his work, and cherish them, because guaranteed that other people are not going to interpret it the way he intended. Once it’s out there, it’s open to interpretation by anyone who experiences it—whether it’s your intended interpretation or not. Just hold on to *what it means to you* and be happy that other people are enjoying it in their own way.

(As I write that last paragraph, my inner Howard Roark is crying ‘TREASOOOOOOOON!’)

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 14 March 2021 01:50 PM

You know the feeling of finishing a great novel, or a great movie and being content while at the same time being sad it’s over? I remember really feeling that with The Dig. I don’t always get that with every games…

Yes, that’s how I felt the first time I finished The Dig, like I’ve seen something grand and epic coming to an end. Even though the game wasn’t exactly a space opera or the war of worlds, just a slow exploration of a dead civilization in an attempt to return 3 astronauts home. A very impressive effect gained by using all means available - story, worldbuilding, art and, of course, music.

Really happy to read all these positive things about The Dig. When I played it recently, I was left wondering why the heck it is so often slammed or mocked on various websites. Almost none of the criticisms leveled at it were true at all! Rather than being obtuse and obfuscatory, the puzzles are wonderfully integrated into the game world and actually add to the feeling that this is a world we are exploring, not just a collection of stitched together screens. The notorious ‘stupid difficulty’, said to be by far the hardest of the LucasArts game, is, for me at least, more manageable by far than Monkey Island 2, and certainly Grim Fandango. The plot feels rich with compelling mystery, without relying on pages of exposition. The graphics, while technologically outdated by the time of the game’s release, are still as pleasingly appropriate for the type of game it is as they could possibly be.
Yeah, the characterizations flit between inconsistent, hokey, unbelievable, and annoying…but gosh darn if The Dig is not a top notch adventure game in spite of all that.

Perhaps this post would be more appropriate in the bizarro-version ‘underrated’ thread.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Last thing I’ll say about the Dig is the sum of the total is a lot greater than parts. Besides the music which is top-notch you can pick apart different aspects of the game for sure, but when put all together it becomes more to me.

If I had to give it one more criticism, I’m not quite sure we needed the Alien Resurrection, so he could neatly tie a bow around the world and message, with a lot of exposition on everything. The game might have worked even better by being more ambiguous.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

as far as Monkey Island 3 goes the criticism of it being a copy of monkey island 1 is not unfounded, it does follow the same basic plot structure. I just think it executes it better than the first and I love Monkey Island 1. I also think the humor is better in Monkey Island 3 and the puzzles are a lot better than Monkey Island 2. But Im not a huge ron Gilbert fan to beigin with when he goes unchecked, I hate thimbleweed Park.

I just remember so much about Monkey Island 3. I love guybrush, Murray, stan, the three pirates that join your crew, the little boy that sells you a bottomless cup. Even when I was confused about what to do or a puzzle stumped me for a bit, the game was so Charming to me that I didn’t care.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sally Face got a score of 3.5. I’ve already posted this. Sally Face was an amazing story/game up until episode 5? when all of a sudden timed stuff was introduced. After that the story for me went downhill & the score if any games has to get the 1 this is the one that should get it.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 03:01 PM

as far as Monkey Island 3 goes the criticism of it being a copy of monkey island 1 is not unfounded, it does follow the same basic plot structure. I just think it executes it better than the first and I love Monkey Island 1. I also think the humor is better in Monkey Island 3 and the puzzles are a lot better than Monkey Island 2. But Im not a huge ron Gilbert fan to beigin with when he goes unchecked, I hate thimbleweed Park.

I just remember so much about Monkey Island 3. I love guybrush, Murray, stan, the three pirates that join your crew, the little boy that sells you a bottomless cup. Even when I was confused about what to do or a puzzle stumped me for a bit, the game was so Charming to me that I didn’t care.

Didn’t Monkey Island 2 follow the Monkey Island 1 template as well? Gathering a crew, going from island to island?
That’s just the Monkey Island way, kind of like Zelda series. It’s always the same thing but different.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 March 2021 02:16 PM

Rather than being obtuse and obfuscatory, the puzzles are wonderfully integrated into the game world and actually add to the feeling that this is a world we are exploring, not just a collection of stitched together screens.

Indeed, I always found them to be part of the plot and game world. There were so many games where puzzles felt like they were programmed at the last minute, just because the devs had to fill the game with some brainteasers (um, the upcoming Keepsake community playthrough is what I’m talking about). Everything fits together in The Dig.

Baron_Blubba - 14 March 2021 03:45 PM

Didn’t Monkey Island 2 follow the Monkey Island 1 template as well? Gathering a crew, going from island to island?

But we don’t gather a crew in MI2 - unless you mean searching for the deceased crew members of the Elaine ship. Which is, in fact, a pretty cool detective/treasure hunting plot on its own. I would even go as far as to say that this was part of the “maturing” process of Guybrush - he doesn’t seek help nor guidance from anyone (the voodoo lady excluded), unlike in the first game, but rather relies on himself most of the time. And as soon as he gets a ship early into the game, he is given freedom to move between 3 huge islands at once in order to locate the most legendary treasure.

And then CMI comes where all Guybrush wants is to lift the curse off his bride - the curse he himself stupidly laid upon her. Nothing even remotely related to the “piraty stuff” he dreamed of. Not to mention the 4th game which starts with Guybrush recalling their “honeymoon” when Elaine continually punched him in his face. The plot that followed felt even less related: winning Elaine’s governor’s campaign and saving the Caribbeans from some Rupert Murdoch parody. A very different direction compared to the first two games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

You could say that the Monkey Island series was crippled after MI2 by the view from the fandom/gaming community of it being a comedy series. In the 1st game comedy was merely an element among many other elements (adventure, romance, horror) as it was in many adventure games.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 07:34 PM

You could say that the Monkey Island series was crippled after MI2 by the view from the fandom/gaming community of it being a comedy series. In the 1st game comedy was merely an element among many other elements (adventure, romance, horror) as it was in many adventure games.

I Always thought monkey island was a comedy game, no matter which one you look at. I mean the first one I believe had George Lucas in a troll costume. Rubber Chickens, insult sword-fighting, and root beer to destroy the main villain if that’s not comedy I don’t know what is. I did not get romance at all. Just because Guybrush had a crush on Elaine does not make it romantic as a whole, but yes they did go on adventure. I never once got a Vibe of horror either but I guess different people see different things.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 08:20 PM
cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 07:34 PM

I Always thought monkey island was a comedy game, no matter which one you look at. I mean the first one I believe had George Lucas in a troll costume. Rubber Chickens, insult sword-fighting, and root beer to destroy the main villain if that’s not comedy I don’t know what is. I did not get romance at all. Just because Guybrush had a crush on Elaine does not make it romantic as a whole, but yes they did go on adventure. I never once got a Vibe of horror either but I guess different people see different things.

Of course it was a comedy game. In addition to all of the instances you mentioned, that scene behind the wall in Elaine’s house is regularly cited as one of the funniest in the history of games. Then there’s the ‘reward’ for passing each of the pirate tests—a T-shirt. And the great big scary monster on the island you get to with the pulley chicken.
It’s always been a comedy. Let’s not think so binarily: A game can be a comedy, and an adventure, and a romance, and a horror. Was Monkey Island ever a horror game? Heck no. Yeah, it had zombie ghost voodoo pirates…but it’s never been scary.
‘Some horror stories have zombies, therefore all stories that have zombies are horror stories’ is not a quote that would get the big A’s seal of approval.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Never been scary? My 8 year old self begs to differ. LeChuck sailing on his ghost ship in a lava hell with ghost pirate minions was very much so.

It had humor. So did Lord of the Rings.

The “not scary” argument just smacks of a fat movie watcher who’s seen 40,000 horror movies and is no longer affected by anything, trying to argue Frankenstein and Dracula aren’t horror.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I see one romance element in monkey island, but monkey island would never be tagged as romance or horror game.

I guess john carpenters the thing is also a comedy bc it had one or two jokes in the film. Or die hard is a romance movie bc john ended up getting back with his wife at the end of the film… who knew lol.

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Jdawg445 - 14 March 2021 09:11 PM

I see one romance element in monkey island, but monkey island would never be tagged as romance or horror game.

No one argued that it would.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top