• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just was talking of the first 3 monkey island games, bc after that i stopped playing them lol. I also love monkey island 1, but i still say the pacing is better in 3. I also prefer the cartoon look bc i think it is a better fit for the subject matter of the game

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Renacimiento - 13 March 2021 12:11 AM

The Dig has a great story, and almost philosophical, however the problem is its characters, they are all completely forgettable, including the main character and worst of all, the two characters that are with you become very annoying and arrogant as soon as you arrive on the planet. In addition to being almost completely useless for most of the game.
I remember that at times I would go to talk to them to see if they could guide me on what to do, a little help, advice, etc, (they are there for a reason after all aren’t they?) but nothing, the answer I got was reduced almost to a simple .. “I don’t know, figure it out yourself”. -_-

As for Monkey Island, I prefer MI 4 over 3. MK2 being the best by far.

I cant argue with you about the characters of the dig, other than that they were antagonistic to each other from the very start, they mistrust each other b4 they even knew it was an alien ship. I think i give it a pass bc most of the time the main character is by himself and i liked that better anyways

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Compounding that with the bad reviews, I think I’ll wait for some HEFTY Steam sale to pick up Syberia 3.

Yea, wait until it’s like $2.99 or something. At that price you may actually enjoy it. I have to admit, if I get the game cheap, it helps me overlook its faults.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

GateKeeper - 13 March 2021 03:09 AM
walas74 - 12 March 2021 03:30 PM

Well, someone agrees with me at last with Grim Fandango. Best adventure game of all time? No way.

Right on. Thumbs Up

Jdawg445 - 12 March 2021 05:12 PM

as far as Monkey Island goes when thinking about the first Trilogy number two is actually my least favorite by far. I actually think Monkey Island 3 is the funniest and most well-executed as far as game design. The ending did leave something to be desired but the rest of the game was Flawless from the acting, to dialogue, comedic timing and Graphics I loved every second of monkey island 3.

MI3 is overrated.
Obviously it’s a great game, but it also permanently destroyed what the series used to be like. It wasn’t a cartoon in the first two games, but after the third game, it permanently became one.

The first one still feels and looks great, it’s a great shame that not even the second game matched that.

How do the first three make a trilogy though? The only common thing they have is that they are all point-and-clicks, but in the third one even the control mechanism is different from the first two.

I think the first two games weren’t cartoons because technology had not reached the point where the graphics could be convincing cartoons. In all ways other than the graphics, they are just as cartoony as the third game. And I think the third game has better story, characters, puzzles, acting, everything.
The first two are really good, but I think the third is definitely the best.
Only watched my brother play bits and pieces of 4, so can’t really comment on it. I own it and will surely play it one day. Nice to see it getting some good reviews here—makes me optimistic that I’ll enjoy my play.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 March 2021 08:12 AM

Compounding that with the bad reviews, I think I’ll wait for some HEFTY Steam sale to pick up Syberia 3.

Yea, wait until it’s like $2.99 or something. At that price you may actually enjoy it. I have to admit, if I get the game cheap, it helps me overlook its faults.

Heart

I’ve got a question about Syberia 3. It appears that there is a patched/improved/final cut version out there. Has anyone played this? Is it better than the original version that received such dismal reviews? This is one of those games that I am really jonesing to play, hoping that the reviewers have different criteria for what makes a worthwhile adventure game than I do. I don’t need to LOVE it, I just want a decent game out of it, so I can play it before the 4th game, without having to ‘suffer’ much.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 12:28 AM

As for Monkey Island, I prefer MI 4 over 3.

I thought I was the only one. The plot is far more interesting. MI3 must be the most overrated title in adventure gaming. It’s a good game, but not nearly enough for all the praise.

I’m the exact same, MI3 is my lest favorite lucasart MI game (I like it better than the telltale games I never finished)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve got a question about Syberia 3. It appears that there is a patched/improved/final cut version out there. Has anyone played this? Is it better than the original version that received such dismal reviews? This is one of those games that I am really jonesing to play, hoping that the reviewers have different criteria for what makes a worthwhile adventure game than I do. I don’t need to LOVE it, I just want a decent game out of it, so I can play it before the 4th game, without having to ‘suffer’ much.

Yes, patches do improve the game. Also get the DLC, one of the DLC missions is interesting. If you can get it with all patches and DLC it’s a toleratable game if its pretty cheap.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

giom - 13 March 2021 04:02 PM
Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 12:28 AM

As for Monkey Island, I prefer MI 4 over 3.

I thought I was the only one. The plot is far more interesting. MI3 must be the most overrated title in adventure gaming. It’s a good game, but not nearly enough for all the praise.

I’m the exact same, MI3 is my lest favorite lucasart MI game (I like it better than the telltale games I never finished)

Haha, I liked the Telltale game, too. It was a little uneven, but by and large it told a good story and had mostly good puzzles. Even though it takes a lot of liberties with the story and characters, to me it captured the feel and humor of the series very nicely, and was respectful of the original games.
I’m obviously not one to fuss over whether MI without Ron Gilbert counts as MI. In interviews about it, Ron sounds like sour grapes, and while I completely understand the frustration that must be engendered when someone takes your story and hijacks it toward places you did not plan it to go…the fact is that, as a consumer and not a creator, they are very good games that work well as a cohesive series.

@ Adr_Lvr, that’s good to hear, thank you. Will be on the look out for sales.
Edit: Oh geez, I just checked prices. $30 on Steam, $35 on GOG. I’ve got no problem playing full price for most games…but yeah, this needs to come down 75% before I’ll take the risk.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

A couple more for me that I think are really good games but are somewhat overrated.
Quest for Glory 4, a good game butwith lots of glitches and a horrible battle system and the setting is not my favorite in the series

Space Quest 4 Once Again a good game but I hate the mall which I know other people enjoy. Also some of the humor does not work at all to me. I still say space Quest 5 is above and beyond the best in the whole series and it’s not even close.

Unavowed to me it’s a poor Indie version of a Telltale Game with very lackluster puzzles, I rather the Dev assemble the team for each Mission so the characters could be fleshed out in that mission, and the puzzles would be more involved and make logical sense. Instead we get random mixes of lesser puzzles based on whoever you brought with you. that’s poor game design to me.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Personally I thought The Dig was brilliant, probably the best pure sci-fi adventure game I’ve ever played. Original story, very good writing, beautiful graphics and music. Best thing about the game that it was actually released after 6 years in the development hell. It’s also nice to know that many of Brian Moriarty’s ideas made it into the final game.

And I’m also a Monkey Island purist. To me The Curse of Monkey Island felt like a fanfic, an attempt to repeat the success of the previous games using completely different visual and writing styles. Too many cliches (insult sword fighting, “ship + crew + map” quest, making a voodoo spell twice in a row, etc.), overlong dialogues instead of short puns, only one really good chapter (similar to Grim Fandango). And I just don’t buy this Guybrush

While the original Guybrush tried his very best to become a real pirate

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

^I don’t buy that Guybrush either. And that actually IS fanfic. Looks like a millenial dressed up in cosplay for a photo shoot at a convention.

Fact is, Guybrush is different in each game. He changed a lot between 1 and 2.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 09:29 PM

^I don’t buy that Guybrush either. And that actually IS fanfic. Looks like a millenial dressed up in cosplay for a photo shoot at a convention.

Fact is, Guybrush is different in each game. He changed a lot between 1 and 2.

Yeah, agreed. I never ever thought of Guybrush as anything even close to the Harlequin Romance version picture that you posted, Doom. Personality wise he was always a smart wimp trying to fulfill his boyhood dreams of being a swashbuckling pirate.
Let’s face it, it doesn’t really make sense. He is, to a large extent, an Inspector Gadget kind of character—he stumbles into success as often as he creates it. The only reason he’s not a complete Inspector Gadget is because you are controlling him, and as a player you need to have some rational agency in Guybrush’s successes and failures.
Basically, the ideal Guybrush would be played by a shorter Stephen Merchant, as opposed a younger Clint Eastwood. And this is true of Guybrush from *every* Monkey Island game, even before the ‘cartoon’ graphics and voice acting.

PS: Quest for Glory IV is the best Sierra adventure this side of Conquest of the Longbow. (And I played through the GOG version without any bugs.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, we have the cover for the 2nd game, it’s close enough

Certainly has nothing to do with the wimpy Guybrush from CMI nor the hipster-looking Stephen Merchant (I honestly have never heard of him). Yes, he did change after MI1 - he matured. And while continuing acting as a teenager, he tried to become a grown-up pirate, that’s the running theme of the game (and the ending). And that’s why the 2nd part is darker than the first one. The happy “Disney World” theme of CMI makes no sense in the Monkey Island universe.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

It’s great reading you and I have come to two conclusions:

- We will never agree (some people think MI3 is the best of the series, some people think is a worthy succesor for the first two classics, some people think is the worst of the series). Same goes to lovers/haters of The Longest Journey, Syberia, Unavowed, Thimbleweed Park etcetera, etcetera…

- You know what they say: opinions are like butts, everybody’s got one…

But hey, let’s keep agreeing to disagreeing!!!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Exactly, for me Guybrush in MI2 feels like an expected evolution. He’s more mature, he’s grown since the first game and has a been around for a while.

Guybrush in MI3 is meh…

Doom - 13 March 2021 09:03 PM

Personally I thought The Dig was brilliant, probably the best pure sci-fi adventure game I’ve ever played. Original story, very good writing, beautiful graphics and music. Best thing about the game that it was actually released after 6 years in the development hell. It’s also nice to know that many of Brian Moriarty’s ideas made it into the final game.

I liked the Dig, it felt fresh compared to other Lucasart games, great story, writing, graphics and music. In a way it’s the perfect combination of Myst like puzzles but in a game that doesn’t feel as empty as Myst.

You know the feeling of finishing a great novel, or a great movie and being content while at the same time being sad it’s over? I remember really feeling that with The Dig. I don’t always get that with every games…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top