• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dark Side of the Moon (2021 FMV)

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

This must be the 50th adventure game titled Dark Side of the Moon, but a new FMV game to play is always welcome. And one that involves aliens and UFOs? Even better!

Some familiar actors and actresses - the detective from Contradiction (in what is easily his most charismatic role yet), and some others from Doctor Dekker and the sequels.

Anyone else playing it?

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I thought about getting it cuz I love contradiction, but it doesn’t look like it has enough traditional Adventure game elements that I enjoy. Also the dev said it only takes about 2 to 3 hours to beat, so I decided to skip it

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 07:28 PM

This must be the 50th adventure game titled Dark Side of the Moon, but a new FMV game to play is always welcome. And one that involves aliens and UFOs? Even better!

Some familiar actors and actresses - the detective from Contradiction (in what is easily his most charismatic role yet), and some others from Doctor Dekker and the sequels.

Anyone else playing it?

Yes, I’m 40 minutes in and enjoying it. It’s one of those interactive movies that I’m going to love, no matter how good or bad it is (and it promises to be bad), because other aspects are more important to me. I burst out laughing the first time Rupert Booth showed up and I’m pretty sure he was also having a great time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Great game. A++++

I burst out laughing several times, big smile on my face, due to the B movie gloriousness of the thing, the wonderful Alyx and of course Rupert Booth’s acting masterclass.

Destined to become a FMV classic.

Well done Darren Hall. Now can we please get a sequel? (much longer and bigger!) Thumbs Up

Jdawg445 - 13 March 2021 07:33 PM

I thought about getting it cuz I love contradiction, but it doesn’t look like it has enough traditional Adventure game elements that I enjoy. Also the dev said it only takes about 2 to 3 hours to beat, so I decided to skip it

It does have puzzles.

I get the length complaint, but really, wouldn’t you prefer a quality 2-3 hour game than yet another cartoony 12 hours traditional game filled with filler puzzles and hearing “that doesn’t work” 50 million times?

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 14 March 2021 07:10 AM

Great game. A++++

I burst out laughing several times, big smile on my face, due to the B movie gloriousness of the thing, the wonderful Alyx and of course Rupert Booth’s acting masterclass.

Destined to become a FMV classic.

Well done Darren Hall. Now can we please get a sequel? (much longer and bigger!) Thumbs Up

Jdawg445 - 13 March 2021 07:33 PM

It does have puzzles.

I get the length complaint, but really, wouldn’t you prefer a quality 2-3 hour game than yet another cartoony 12 hours traditional game filled with filler puzzles and hearing “that doesn’t work” 50 million times?

No lol. Contradiction had the right amount of real puzzles, game length and a good but campy murder she wrote story. This looks to only hit 1/3 of those for me.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was a rerelease of Darkstar, another older FMV game I have. I never got around to playing it. Maybe it’s time to get it out of the box.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have this game too from way back when. I loved it in the day. I have 360 PC games in mint condition and this game is one of them.

I also may have to get it out of storage and give it a proper replay.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Adv_Lvr - 14 March 2021 10:46 AM

I have this game too from way back when. I loved it in the day. I have 360 PC games in mint condition and this game is one of them.

I also may have to get it out of storage and give it a proper replay.

Heart

You’re talking about Darkstar? It’s only 10 years old - hardly “way back when”...

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

colpet - 14 March 2021 09:21 AM

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was a rerelease of Darkstar, another older FMV game I have. I never got around to playing it. Maybe it’s time to get it out of the box.

I played it when it was released. It has its quirks but I enjoyed it.

A lot of people had trouble getting it to work though. I played it on the Mac at the time and only had a few crashes. People trying to play it in Windows were less lucky IIRC.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t understand why people associate Dark Side of the Moon (2021) with Darkstar (which I could never get to run properly). I think of Dark Side of the Moon (1998). It used to be one of my favorite FMV games. Great FMV, spooky intro, interesting setting. The story took a somewhat silly turn after a while but I had a good time with the first half of the game.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 15 March 2021 01:19 PM

I don’t understand why people associate Dark Side of the Moon (2021) with Darkstar (which I could never get to run properly). I think of Dark Side of the Moon (1998). It used to be one of my favorite FMV games. Great FMV, spooky intro, interesting setting. The story took a somewhat silly turn after a while but I had a good time with the first half of the game.

Also one of my favorites, although the disk swapping was a major irritant. Black Dahlia suffered from the same problem.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 15 March 2021 04:50 PM
Karlok - 15 March 2021 01:19 PM

Also one of my favorites, although the disk swapping was a major irritant. Black Dahlia suffered from the same problem.

I was lucky, I got my hands on the rare DVD version. Black Dahlia had 8 CDs and the game often froze or threw me back to the desktop, but I don’t remember an awful amount of disk swapping. Or maybe it’s simply that disk swapping was considered normal for all those lovely FMV games and I didn’t know any better.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 15 March 2021 05:18 PM

Or maybe it’s simply that disk swapping was considered normal for all those lovely FMV games and I didn’t know any better.

I think that’s the answer. Probably because each disk held a specific set of locations. If you were in location A, and needed to go to location D, which wasn’t on the same disk, you had to swap. And swap again to go back to A. A problem largely eliminated eliminated by digital downloads via GOG/Steam, or, as you mentioned DVD when available.

I have to add Phantasmagoria 1&2 to the list. I really can’t think of one FMV game that didn’t suffer from the disk-swap annoyance issue.

And I agree that disk swapping in BD was not as bad providing you didn’t make any mistakes. Example: Arriving at the rune puzzle without having the full set. (Forget about the patch needed to get the puzzle to work.) Either by walkthrough or trial and error, you must return to find the missing runes in e.g. the light fixture, which requires multiple disk swaps.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

rtrooney - 15 March 2021 06:47 PM

I really can’t think of one FMV game that didn’t suffer from the disk-swap annoyance issue.

7th Guest? I know it had a separate CD for the soundtrack, but I can’t remember there being any disk swapping during the game.

Also, possibly Amber: Journeys Beyond?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t remember Amber being FMV. Besides, it was a single CD so disk swapping would never be an issue.

Never played 7th Guest, so I can’t comment.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, the 7th Guest came on one CD. Maybe the transparent ghosts didn’t require as many bytes as solid people. Smile  The X Files came on 7 or 8 CDs, my favorite game Obsidian on 5. Blue Heat with its many cut scenes on 4, which is remarkable. But some Sierra games came on 10 floppy discs, that was annoying too.

Amber did have FMV. Tapes of Roxy talking about her supernatural devices and her experiments, but those videos were very small. Not much else AFAIK.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top