• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that got Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way overrated

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Another is the Blackwell series.
I think the first is not a good game, while the second and third ones are ‘okay’ and ‘okay+’. These all seem to me like successes born from an adventure starved audience.  Still, I am happy that they did so well, because the fourth game is excellent, and the fifth, which I have not played yet, is supposedly even better. Also, they fueled Wadjeteye’s relatively stratospheric rise in the indie adventure game community, which has enabled Wadjeteye go on to produce an entire line of very good games.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 March 2021 02:55 PM

Another is the Blackwell series.
I think the first is not a good game, while the second and third ones are ‘okay’ and ‘okay+’. These all seem to me like successes born from an adventure starved audience.  Still, I am happy that they did so well, because the fourth game is excellent, and the fifth, which I have not played yet, is supposedly even better. Also, they fueled Wadjeteye’s relatively stratospheric rise in the indie adventure game community, which has enabled Wadjeteye go on to produce an entire line of very good games.

Agreed, i think unavowed is even worse bc there are no real interesting puzzles. Unavowed is like an indy telltale game. Once again not terrible but vastly overrated on here.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Grim fandango as a whole. For the record I believe the second year where manny owns a nightclub is excellent top tier LucasArts Adventure game type stuff, but… the rest of the levels vary greatly in quality

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 March 2021 11:43 AM
giom - 12 March 2021 12:44 AM

I

I used to love Full Throttle and then I replayed the remaster with my girlfriend and we were just both disappointed. It’s not bad but it’s nowhere as good as I remembered it to be. BS1 is the same for me. I blame it on the director’s cut for that one though (but I also hate hate the dialogue interface)

Anna’s Quest was fun playing for a bit but then again I never finished it so…

Man, I disagree big time about Full Throttle. That game is like a favorite piece of music to me—even though I know it by heart, having listened to it over and over etc again, I still relish every note of it, and every note resonates strongly with my nostalgia bone.

Even the frustrating parts, like the destruction derby, bring me back to a happy time in my life when the most frustrating thing my young self had to worry about was getting past the destruction derby section in a video game…or figuring out how to knock that darn chainsaw lady (as we used to call her) off her bike! (Hint: Every fight in that section is a puzzle. There’s a particular weapon for each particular enemy that’ll make the fight a piece of cake.)

Anyway, it’s a little bit easy by adventure game standards, and because of that, it’s a little bit short too—even though the plot and game world have a pretty sizable and well realized scope, and there are many great characters to meet.  Brevity and slight concession in the difficulty department aside, I think it’s a masterpiece of video game storytelling . It hits all the beats like a movie, but unlike a lot of today’s interactive movie-ish games, this one never stops feeling like a game; I am always responsible for doing the important stuff to move the plot forward and solve all of the problems the protagonist encounters. The pacing is perfect, as are the art, characterization, voice acting, and atmosphere. I think *this* should have become the post-Myst-craze, 32/64-bit era adventure game paradigm. It moved the genre forward while also respecting its past, while also abandoning some of the less broadly palatable aspects of that same past.
Obviously, I love this game. Probably know every line by heart, start to finish.
“Whenever I think of asphalt, I think of Maureen.”

I also agree full Throttle is in my top five adventure games of all time. Great characters, dialogue, voice acting and art. It does tell a very basic story but it knows how to get in there, hit hard and get out. I actually appreciate the fact that it is on the short side, it allows me to replay it easily once a year.

My one negative for the game is the world building could have been a little better. we could have learned a lot more about each biker gang and the world in general. too bad there was never a proper sequel

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, someone agrees with me at last with Grim Fandango. Best adventure game of all time? No way. Rubacava is great, characters and story, setting, music are great, but puzzles are not as inspired as previous Lucas Games, maybe because the 3D and the inventory design. Sorry, people, but DOTT is unbeatable.

Blackwell series goes in crescendo and Blackwell Epiphany is one of those experiences as an adventure gamer that keeps a place in my heart.

Overrated game for me? The Dig. I could never understand the fascination for that game. I almost quit. The turtle puzzle is nonsensical.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

walas74 - 12 March 2021 03:30 PM

Well, someone agrees with me at last with Grim Fandango. Best adventure game of all time? No way. Rubacava is great, characters and story, setting, music are great, but puzzles are not as inspired as previous Lucas Games, maybe because the 3D and the inventory design. Sorry, people, but DOTT is unbeatable.

Blackwell series goes in crescendo and Blackwell Epiphany is one of those experiences as an adventure gamer that keeps a place in my heart.

Overrated game for me? The Dig. I could never understand the fascination for that game. I almost quit. The turtle puzzle is nonsensical.

Grim Fandago is one of the best adventure game experiences of so-far-time, but it is not even close to being the best adventure *game*. Whereas Full Throttle, as Jdawg says, tells its story, knows how to do what it wants to do, does it, and gets out, Grim Fandango is almost the opposite. Okay, make no mistake it is a VERY good game, and would be even without the fantastic story and splendid if imperfect world building, but there are many gameplay parts that could use a fair amount of fine tuning.

The Dig, man, I just played that and thought ‘why all the hate?’. I thought almost every puzzle was as logical as anything you could expect to find in a 90’s LucasArts adventure game, certainly more sensible than half the puzzles in Monkey Island 2. The turtle reassembly was frustrating, but not too bad. I absolutely love the art and atmosphere—man, does it make you feel like you are adventuring on an entirely foreign planet, with equally grand senses of wonder, trepidation, and dread.
My problem with the game is that it is not forgiving enough with your commands—there were several instances, for example where I knew EXACTLY what to do, but I clicked the object on the thing I wanted to use it with, instead of giving it to the character who needs to use it, who was standing nearby—or vice-versa. So instead I figured ‘what the fudge, maybe I *don’t* really know EXACTLY what to do’ and wandered off. The game should be more lenient with things like this, letting you solve the ‘puzzle’ by clicking the object on one of the two obviously relevant hotspots.
Otherwise, no complaints, great game, with a great ending. I loved the choice at the end, and how it resolves itself.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I don’t know, maybe the problem was my expectations, I remember when the game was released and I must admit The Dig was the very first game I downloaded when I discovered Edonkey (yeah, old times huh?). Sorry, I was poor and looking for a job by then haha

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

once again I also love the dig the atmosphere and the music is top-notch. I will admit some of the dialogue and acting is not the greatest. I love Robert Patrick but he comes off very one note in the game. I also agree the puzzles were not all that hard, yes some of them were a little obtuse but since everything was one click it was easy to brute force your way through it. Once again my biggest complaint about the game is how some characters teleported around the map lol. Like when the tram was not operational and the Light Bridges were not working either. how did they get to certain spots, it always made me laugh. Much like Full Throttle i also thought The Dig had the perfect opening cutscene and starter puzzles to get you invested in the world.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

as far as Monkey Island goes when thinking about the first Trilogy number two is actually my least favorite by far. I actually think Monkey Island 3 is the funniest and most well-executed as far as game design. The ending did leave something to be desired but the rest of the game was Flawless from the acting, to dialogue, comedic timing and Graphics I loved every second of monkey island 3.

I’m not a huge fan of Ron’s game design like some fans are. I also hated his new Twin Peaks Adventure thimblweed park. I made it about halfway through and completely lost interest, didn’t like any of the characters, thought the puzzles were not very good, and the humor didn’t work for me at all.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

@Jdawg and Walas74:

Yeah, when the Dig was released it was as HUGE deal! I remember seeing ads in Computer Gaming World and PC Gamer for what seems like forever, and then boom! It was finally here!

...aaaaaand the reviews were very middling. If I remember correctly, it won a few awards in a few different categories, and maybe a ‘game of the year’ from somewhere, but the general reaction was one of disappointment. It was a matter of overpromising and under delivering.

As far as the magic NPC teleportation, I think both of your colleagues explain it to you individually at some point…something like ‘well, I guess we’re just better at getting around than you’. Might be wrong about this, but I seem to remember it being the case, in the first dialogue you have with the reporter woman in the library.

Yeah, that’s a good point, how the introduction really gets you invested in the mechanics, plot, characters.
And yeah, as a big fat X-Files fan, I like Robert Patrick a lot…but the characters in this game were poorly written stereotypes. Fortunately, due to the isolated nature of the game, it was usually pretty easy to erase the persona of the main character and play him as my avatar. It’s only in the confrontational scenes that his personality diminished the experience a little. Not enough to ruin the game at all, though—just that it did not enhance the game, the way playing as Ben Throttle or Laverne in DoTT does.

(I’m madly in love with Laverne.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 March 2021 05:25 PM

@Jdawg and Walas74:

Yeah, when the Dig was released it was as HUGE deal! I remember seeing ads in Computer Gaming World and PC Gamer for what seems like forever, and then boom! It was finally here!

...aaaaaand the reviews were very middling. If I remember correctly, it won a few awards in a few different categories, and maybe a ‘game of the year’ from somewhere, but the general reaction was one of disappointment. It was a matter of overpromising and under delivering.

As far as the magic NPC teleportation, I think both of your colleagues explain it to you individually at some point…something like ‘well, I guess we’re just better at getting around than you’. Might be wrong about this, but I seem to remember it being the case, in the first dialogue you have with the reporter woman in the library.

Yeah, that’s a good point, how the introduction really gets you invested in the mechanics, plot, characters.
And yeah, as a big fat X-Files fan, I like Robert Patrick a lot…but the characters in this game were poorly written stereotypes. Fortunately, due to the isolated nature of the game, it was usually pretty easy to erase the persona of the main character and play him as my avatar. It’s only in the confrontational scenes that his personality diminished the experience a little. Not enough to ruin the game at all, though—just that it did not enhance the game, the way playing as Ben Throttle or Laverne in DoTT does.

(I’m madly in love with Laverne.)

Maggie the reporter might have said something about that but either way it makes no sense because you still have to turn every tram on and light every bridge so basically it’s just magic teleportation. I played the game recently and the two best acted characters are the astronauts that get left behind on the ship lol. But you’re right since Boston is alone most of the time it doesn’t really matter. To me The Game’s best asset is making you feel like you’re really on an alien world with alien technology and I love it for that. Plus once again that Soundtrack is top-tier

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 12 March 2021 05:12 PM

as far as Monkey Island goes when thinking about the first Trilogy number two is actually my least favorite by far. I actually think Monkey Island 3 is the funniest and most well-executed as far as game design. The ending did leave something to be desired but the rest of the game was Flawless from the acting, to dialogue, comedic timing and Graphics I loved every second of monkey island 3.

I’m not a huge fan of Ron’s game design like some fans are. I also hated his new Twin Peaks Adventure thimblweed park. I made it about halfway through and completely lost interest, didn’t like any of the characters, thought the puzzles were not very good, and the humor didn’t work for me at all.

I agree with this 100%. Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) is easily the best in the series, for all the reasons you mentioned. MI2 has some of the series highest highs, it’s also got some pretty darn stupid parts, too. I’m not talking about the monkey wrench;  I know this is frustrating and unfair to non-English speakers, but it wasn’t a leap of illogic for me at all.
The end sequence drags it down just a smidge—I think the timed roller coaster segment was disrespectful of the player’s time, forcing us to go round and round until we solve the whole thing. Otherwise, it’s a perfect adventure game. Yeah, the ending itself is shockingly truncated, but it’s the journey that counts, right?

Loved Thimbleweed Park, too. I thought it did a great job of being incredibly challenging, while still being fair most of the time. Just remember to get maps for everyone.
Oh, and as much as it’s about the journey first and foremost, I adored the end section of the game and the ending as well.
Never seen Twin Peaks, but since I don’t live under a rock, I recognize the influence.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

The Dig has a great story, and almost philosophical, however the problem is its characters, they are all completely forgettable, including the main character and worst of all, the two characters that are with you become very annoying and arrogant as soon as you arrive on the planet. In addition to being almost completely useless for most of the game.
I remember that at times I would go to talk to them to see if they could guide me on what to do, a little help, advice, etc, (they are there for a reason after all aren’t they?) but nothing, the answer I got was reduced almost to a simple .. “I don’t know, figure it out yourself”. -_-

As for Monkey Island, I prefer MI 4 over 3. MK2 being the best by far.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Renacimiento - 13 March 2021 12:11 AM

As for Monkey Island, I prefer MI 4 over 3.

I thought I was the only one. The plot is far more interesting. MI3 must be the most overrated title in adventure gaming. It’s a good game, but not nearly enough for all the praise.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

walas74 - 12 March 2021 03:30 PM

Well, someone agrees with me at last with Grim Fandango. Best adventure game of all time? No way.

Right on. Thumbs Up

Jdawg445 - 12 March 2021 05:12 PM

MI3 is overrated.
Obviously it’s a great game, but it also permanently destroyed what the series used to be like. It wasn’t a cartoon in the first two games, but after the third game, it permanently became one.

The first one still feels and looks great, it’s a great shame that not even the second game matched that.

How do the first three make a trilogy though? The only common thing they have is that they are all point-and-clicks, but in the third one even the control mechanism is different from the first two.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top