• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2020-08-13

PM

Doom - 03 March 2021 03:58 PM

My biggest problem with GK2 was not Grace (although I also found her very irritating), but Gabriel. Played it after the 1st and 3rd chapters and just didn’t see him in Erickson after what Tim Curry did to the character. His voice, his half-smile and clumsy movements just didn’t fit the cynical womanizer and fearless evil fighter. Of course, today I think he did a pretty decent job taking all other attempts at FMV adventure making, but the game is still far from my top ratongs, unlike other two chapters. Enjoyed Von Glower and Kommissar Leber though despite his overrating and atrocious German accent))

I never found Grace to be particularly annoying, but I LOVED Dean Erickson as Gabriel. It was so jarring at first to have this totally different type of guy playing the character, but by the end, I just wanted more of him. He’s not a great actor, he’s wildly different in his portrayal than Tim Curry, the director has him doing things like taking a full minute to pick up and put down a newspaper… and yet I felt like he lit up my screen. Maybe I’m just weird!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

but I LOVED Dean Erickson as Gabriel.

I really liked GK2. The FMV worked for me. It’s not my favorite GK game, but loved it in the day. I also thought Dean did a fine job as Gabriel, I’m sure Tim Curry would have been too expensive.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Adv_Lvr - 07 March 2021 05:34 AM

I really liked GK2. The FMV worked for me. It’s not my favorite GK game, but loved it in the day. I also thought Dean did a fine job as Gabriel, I’m sure Tim Curry would have been too expensive.

Heart

Dean Erickson did a fine job. Tim Curry would hardly have worked as Gabriel visually.

I’m playing the Phoenix Wright Trilogy right now. Played all three games when they came out for the Nintendo DS back in the days, but figured it was time for a replay. Tried the trilogy before on the iPad, but that version was not very good. The PC version on Steam is much better. Have just reached the end of the original first game, just about to start the extra chapter that was made for the DS-version.

Great game!

Edit: But I wouldn’t want to be a suspect with the legal system in these games… Guilty until proven innocent feels a bit, well, backwards.Smile

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m about an hour into Ben There, Dan That. It took a little warming up, but now I’m enjoying it very much.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

mattaukamp - 07 March 2021 12:56 AM

I never found Grace to be particularly annoying, but I LOVED Dean Erickson as Gabriel. It was so jarring at first to have this totally different type of guy playing the character, but by the end, I just wanted more of him. He’s not a great actor, he’s wildly different in his portrayal than Tim Curry, the director has him doing things like taking a full minute to pick up and put down a newspaper… and yet I felt like he lit up my screen. Maybe I’m just weird!

I agree that Erickson gives a certain charm to the Gabriel character. And since all three games utilize very different graphic styles it’s hardly a sin to use a different actor. Tim Curry wouldn’t work as a life Gabriel, of course. Well, maybe if he was 30 years younger…

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 03 March 2021 05:19 PM

If you are interested in learning more about Ludwig II and his relationship with Wagner, there is a very cool book called The Dream King, by Wilfrid Blunt. I happened upon it in a used book store once while in the middle of or after just finishing playing Gabriel Knight 2, so of course I picked it up. On it’s own, it is just a ‘good’ book. As a companion piece to GK 2, it’s excellent.

I love this anecdote and recommendation.

Going to give Conquest of the Longbow a spin.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 March 2021 03:46 PM
Baron_Blubba - 03 March 2021 05:19 PM

If you are interested in learning more about Ludwig II and his relationship with Wagner, there is a very cool book called The Dream King, by Wilfrid Blunt. I happened upon it in a used book store once while in the middle of or after just finishing playing Gabriel Knight 2, so of course I picked it up. On it’s own, it is just a ‘good’ book. As a companion piece to GK 2, it’s excellent.

I love this anecdote and recommendation.

Going to give Conquest of the Longbow a spin.

Thank you! The book is loaded with photographs and replications of letters and documents and paintings. If you dig GKII, man, this book will be a treasure trove.

And I really don’t think you will regret Conquest of the Longbow! I’d love to discuss it as you play or when you are finished—feel free to bring it up again then, or send me a pm!
Makes me think…this would make a really interesting community playthrough. It goes day by day, so we could all play a few days each week, but because of the nature of the game could discuss the different ways we dealt with those days and the ensuing experiences.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 07 March 2021 05:34 AM

Heart

Dean was good. Is it possible for a controllable character to give an objectively great acting performance in the context of a game like GK2? I doubt it. He did very well given the situation, and even though the context makes some moments rather awkward, he is almost always enjoyable to watch.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 06:47 PM

And I really don’t think you will regret Conquest of the Longbow! I’d love to discuss it as you play or when you are finished—feel free to bring it up again then, or send me a pm!
Makes me think…this would make a really interesting community playthrough. It goes day by day, so we could all play a few days each week, but because of the nature of the game could discuss the different ways we dealt with those days and the ensuing experiences.

https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/15735-ag-community-game-playthrough-3-conquests-longbow-legend-robin-hood.html

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 08 March 2021 07:29 PM
Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 06:47 PM

https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/15735-ag-community-game-playthrough-3-conquests-longbow-legend-robin-hood.html

Thanks, this should be interesting reading. 15 years ago—you’ve got a good memory!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I have just begun A New Beginning.

Aaarrrgh! Another Daedalic game that seems to have so much potential, but the English version is rife with atrocious translation and horrible voice acting. The conversations sound like they were recorded by people for whom English is a secondary (tertiary?) language, located on opposite sides of the world, who have been given no context and no idea of what the other parts of each conversation are. It’s one cringe-inducing line delivery after another. Also, the subtitles are full of misspellings.
Yes, I know these aren’t AAA titles, but you’d think that someone, somewhere along the way in the localization of this game, or somewhere in the play testing, might have noticed/been told about how abysmal these things are, and perhaps improved upon them. This happens in *every* Daedalic game I have played.
And the first puzzle…a woman shows up in a helicopter asking for help, and you’re like ‘yeah, whatever, let me fix my fogger, then we can talk.’ That’s like ‘yeah, I’ll take you to the hospital…just let me finish rewinding my VHS collection.’

I swear, this company develops/publishes games that have so much potential and are let down by stupid things like this. 

I’ll wait to pass judgement on the protagonist, but so far…geez…I’m not looking forward to playing as this guy. He’s almost as bad as the nasty clown you control in The Whispered World.

Oh well, admittedly I am only 15 minutes in. I will keep playing. The interface is good, and the in game art is good, although the animation leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately, I care more about the scenery.

To those on this forum who have recommended this game and seem to really love it, I’m curious, what language did you play it in? If in a language other than English, did you also notice the things that I’m mentioning? Or is it just the English language version?

Anyway, for now I’ll just approach the game with a similar mindset to which I approach poorly dubbed anime or martial arts movies—don’t let one lackluster aspect ruin everything else about what could otherwise be a wonderful experience.

But darn, Daedalic is so reliably frustrating.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Baron Blubba, I think you’re just not quite accustomed to Adv_Lvr yet, for whom every freshly played game is the best thing ever. And that’s not intended as an insult or anything - I’d love to be as wide-eyed and optimistic myself when judging games I’ve just played.

But yes, everything you said about A New Beginning is spot on.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 08 March 2021 11:00 PM

Baron Blubba, I think you’re just not quite accustomed to Adv_Lvr yet, for whom every freshly played game is the best thing ever. And that’s not intended as an insult or anything - I’d love to be as wide-eyed and optimistic myself when judging games I’ve just played.

But yes, everything you said about A New Beginning is spot on.

Haha, yes, from being a long time non-participating reader of these forums, I know this. It’s why Adv_Lvr is one of my favorite users here. The gaming world and the world in general could use more untempered optimism and a whole lot less cynicism. I’m pretty easily goo-goo-ga-ga’d over whatever game I am currently playing or just played, too; but Daedalic games are just frustrating, because they *could* be great, but they always seem to cut corners in the same places, severely diminishing what might otherwise be an portfolio of amazing games.
I really wish I could play the games in their native language to see if it’s just a lost in translation thing.
Although that ‘hang on while I fix my fogger’ conceit in A New Beginning, unless it was meant to be a poke at skewed adventure game character priorities (which, given the serious nature of the game, I doubt), is just laughably poor scripting.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 10:05 PM

I have just begun A New Beginning.

Aaarrrgh! Another Daedalic game that seems to have so much potential, but the English version is rife with atrocious translation and horrible voice acting. The conversations sound like they were recorded by people for whom English is a secondary (tertiary?) language, located on opposite sides of the world, who have been given no context and no idea of what the other parts of each conversation are. It’s one cringe-inducing line delivery after another. Also, the subtitles are full of misspellings.
Yes, I know these aren’t AAA titles, but you’d think that someone, somewhere along the way in the localization of this game, or somewhere in the play testing, might have noticed/been told about how abysmal these things are, and perhaps improved upon them. This happens in *every* Daedalic game I have played.
And the first puzzle…a woman shows up in a helicopter asking for help, and you’re like ‘yeah, whatever, let me fix my fogger, then we can talk.’ That’s like ‘yeah, I’ll take you to the hospital…just let me finish rewinding my VHS collection.’

I swear, this company develops/publishes games that have so much potential and are let down by stupid things like this. 

I’ll wait to pass judgement on the protagonist, but so far…geez…I’m not looking forward to playing as this guy. He’s almost as bad as the nasty clown you control in The Whispered World.

Oh well, admittedly I am only 15 minutes in. I will keep playing. The interface is good, and the in game art is good, although the animation leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately, I care more about the scenery.

To those on this forum who have recommended this game and seem to really love it, I’m curious, what language did you play it in? If in a language other than English, did you also notice the things that I’m mentioning? Or is it just the English language version?

Anyway, for now I’ll just approach the game with a similar mindset to which I approach poorly dubbed anime or martial arts movies—don’t let one lackluster aspect ruin everything else about what could otherwise be a wonderful experience.

But darn, Daedalic is so reliably frustrating.

I beat the first chapter of this game and then it crashed, needless to say I had no desire to go back and try again. my experience with the first chapter was abysmal enough befor that. the game looks ugly, the voice acting is some of the worst I’ve ever seen, at least since the PS1 era with bad Japanese voice dubbing. I like deponia well enough but this game was atrocious

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 09 March 2021 05:41 PM

I beat the first chapter of this game and then it crashed, needless to say I had no desire to go back and try again. my experience with the first chapter was abysmal enough befor that. the game looks ugly, the voice acting is some of the worst I’ve ever seen, at least since the PS1 era with bad Japanese voice dubbing. I like deponia well enough but this game was atrocious

Oh wow. I am normally not a morbid-curiosity type of gamer, but all this dislike for A New Beginning has me excited to see just how spectacularly it is going to crash and burn. No pun intended, based on your end of first chapter experience, Jdawg.
By the way, I loved bad PS1 voice dubbing. I was around 11, 12, when those games were coming out, and didn’t know better. I genuinely thought that the live action intro to Resident Evil was soooooo badass. Then again, having played way too much KQ5 growing up, so perhaps was already inoculated.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top