• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

colpet - 20 February 2021 02:41 PM

Never thought I had to heat a chisel to use it.
So then I thought all was good until I worked forever to try and get all the chains up. Did not occur to me to pull the lever again. So I finally resorted to a WT.
And now I am well and truly stuck. I’d rather not go back to the WT, so if someone can give me a hint I’d appreciate it.
All I have in inventory is a pile of dirt. I have activated the asksten in the glass orb. I have opened the casket and given the middle Troll the glowing tome. I have killed off the mushrooms with the poison in the cup. In the cavern, the only Ruin that works is the water one. In the Troll cave I have the Water, Heat and Wind Ruins that are active.

Hey! Try to look at the floor on the on the lower level. See anything you can use what’s in your inventory on?

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Now I really - REALLY - think that playing last 3 chapters in a row eliminated some of the problems for me, as I came around game’s strange logic and the inventory combinations became mostly automatic.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I see that people are already trying to finish the game/have finished the game, despite the fact I said to wait at the Copper Gate. So be it! Smile

It is time to move to:

Chapter 5: Part 2!

No deadline is given here! Just finish the game at your own leasure. Smile

You deserve it, after so many adventures and dealing with many mighty terrors!
Though the worst ones still await…..
(Also the hardest puzzle of the game, for me at least. I expect that it will be a walk in the park for other people….)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just reached the ending. To me this last section (after the copper gate) was the easiest to get through. Having said that, I’m not a big fan of riddle based puzzles and this one is not very well crafted. Even after solving the puzzle I didn’t understand the meaning of one or two parts of the riddle, but at least the ones I did get were enough to solve the puzzle with a little bit of guesswork. The puzzle mechanics felt a bit overwhelming at first, but it turned out to be a simple affair (unless I once again got every single figure at the right place through sheer luck… Apart from that part of the åsksten puzzle I enjoyed solving the puzzles in this “stage” of the game.

I also enjoyed the game as a whole. There are problems with the puzzle design, or rather the lack of clues and descriptions/thoughts on items once they are in the inventory. And that pretty much invisible lightning rod makes me considering calling the developers, demanding they give me one hour of my life back. There were a few frustrating moments of stuckness but ultimately it was worth the frustration. I especially enjoyed the bleak, dark atmosphere and the narrator’s performance. I never expected there to be much in terms of “story” but rather a journey through Scandinavian folklore. And as such the game succeeds I think.

As to the question what the creature was I don’t have any clear ideas. I no longer believe it was a myling, unless the älva “buried” the creature by turning it to stone. Not really sure how to interpret the ending at all to be honest, but still think it was pretty good (if that makes sense).

Grade? I’d give it 3,5/5. Definitely worth playing, but the puzzle design prevents it from being “great”.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Sefir - 21 February 2021 03:13 AM

I see that people are already trying to finish the game/have finished the game, despite the fact I said to wait at the Copper Gate. So be it! Smile

Sorry! I just assumed that we we’re playing another full chapter, and didn’t read further to avoid any spoilers.

Veovis - 21 February 2021 08:07 AM

As to the question what the creature was I don’t have any clear ideas. I no longer believe it was a myling, unless the älva “buried” the creature by turning it to stone. Not really sure how to interpret the ending at all to be honest, but still think it was pretty good (if that makes sense).

My interpretation was that the creature must be a small troll (småtroll), since trolls are the only ones I know about who would be petrified by sunlight. I was a bit surprised that we didn’t get any explanation, since all other creates were so thoroughly described. I guess it could still be a myling though.

I gave the game 3,0 of 5. The lack of proper story is the biggest shortcoming for me. I was however also annoyed by the lack of feedback when not doing exactly what the developers intended.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Pegbiter - 21 February 2021 08:59 AM

My interpretation was that the creature must be a small troll (småtroll), since trolls are the only ones I know about who would be petrified by sunlight. I was a bit surprised that we didn’t get any explanation, since all other creates were so thoroughly described. I guess it could still be a myling though.

That’s a good guess, supported by the fact that Bergakungen refers to the creature as a newborn.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I found this game to be an ok experience. I’m not sure if it is just my lack of playing these type of games (in general) was what made it more frustrating, or this particular game.  I’m just not wired to think about how to use the inventory in creative ways. The ‘puzzle’ solutions end up being so obscure that I have to try every item on every hotspot or NPC and it gets too tiresome.  Take this last challenge. There were 3 holes that I could find on the cavern floor, 2 of which I had tried the dirt on to no avail. Why the 3rd one was the ‘right’ one? No idea.
As to the game as a whole, I think there was a good story—basically a quest. I felt it had a beginning and an end, though regarding the creature’s spiritual journey, I was hoping for more. To be a troll kind of let me down.
There was a nice background look into Nordic folklore, and the environmental manipulation with the Elements was a welcome addition.I will recommend it as one of the most atmospheric games I’ve played, with possibly one of the best soundtracks.

Right now I am craving a more traditional Adventure (for me). I am going to revisit the pyramids and play my remastered version of Riddle of the Sphinx. I played the original game a few times and am looking forward to seeing the tweaked new game.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the game. That was an interesting half-chapter: despite only 2 screens it had more puzzles than the previous one, with some creative touches in the design of locations, like the troll’s giant foot - something in the vein of Gobliiins. Can’t say I’m a fan of this sort of riddle puzzles, but it’s still better than using everything on everything.

Regarding the creature, I don’t think it was a troll - we saw real trolls before, they looked nothing like it and turned into stone right after the sunlight hit them. I actually thought of it as some metaphor for love or for nature (since the creature controls 4 powers), or just some forest guardian who protects those in need - in this case it sacrificed itself to heal the elf, but it will be reborn some other night.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

As far as the nature of our small protagonist I believe there is not a clear answer.
While I do not like the “some miraculous helper out of the nature” explanation, since that would ruin the whole point of the game, that the small creature was supposed to be insignificant, I agree that it is a good one. After all, as soon as the creature helped the Alva, he turned back to stone. This was his purpose, even if he didn’t know it. It also implies the at the Alv Queen knew exactly what the small creature was, as well as his purpose of existance and sent it to a not-so-random place after all, near our wingless friend.

I am replaying some moments of the first chapter, where the following dialog was made between the gardstomte and the small creature:

“You’re a small one, aren’t you, haven’t seen something like you before. Where did you come from?”
“I am not sure. I remember waking up beneath a stone mound and as I crawled out the first thing I saw was the stars. Do you know why I’m here?”
“I see, beneath the Stone mound?” The gardstomte appear to remember something becoming quiet for a moment before continuing. No, I’m afraid I don’t know why you were born into this place little one. Nor do I think there is trully a place for you in the farm. You should look for a place on your own elsewhere”.

I don’t know, the gardstomte was pretty sus too there imo! He knew more about at least the importance of the location where we first started .

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I enjoyed this game. It’s not one of those that will go on my all-time favorite list, but it’s a worthy adventure.
I really liked unique aesthetics that were very consistent throughout - it’s an original world, that’s for sure. I applaud the developers for interesting visual component, all the darkness and even bleakness of sorts.

The voice work is brilliant here, and the musical and soundscape aspects are as well. I’m very particular about this stuff, and it was high quality here.

The puzzles is what was the most problematic for me (and it seems for others too). I don’t think that an act of immediately combining a thing I just acquired in my inventory with everything else there should be first and almost automatic action for any adventure player, but “Oknytt” taught me that it’s exactly what I must do if I were to progress in-game relatively smoothly, as some combinations were very obscure. This rock on the roots part will bother me for a while. I like to logically think of the solution, but here, it was almost rendered unnecessary - I could break my head over the next reasonable step just to find out that I had to use THIS thing on THAT thing with no seeming explanation. This picked up towards the end, though, when some variety was introduced.

I also enjoyed learning about mythological creatures while playing this game, and I’m not a big fan of anything based on mythology or fairy-tales, but it worked here. Maybe because the gloomy world fits well with some pretty creepy beings.

As far as the creature, I also though that he was a little troll, as the troll king seemed to recognize him in way. I think he called him a baby or newborn or something along those lines. And because he turned to stone like only trolls do.

With that being said, my second theory is more general, along the lines of classic “ugly duckling” story and the overall journey throughout the folklore rather than destination and a solid explanation.

Edit: Ah, Veovis also noticed the reference. All this does makes sense on some level.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

colpet - 21 February 2021 12:55 PM

The ‘puzzle’ solutions end up being so obscure that I have to try every item on every hotspot or NPC and it gets too tiresome.  Take this last challenge. There were 3 holes that I could find on the cavern floor, 2 of which I had tried the dirt on to no avail. Why the 3rd one was the ‘right’ one? No idea.

This is an example of a puzzle where I was a bit stumped too, but it did make sense in hindsight. The älva was lost, wandering blindly below, as it can be seen how the holes light up. The creature fills up those smaller holes, guiding the älva to the left of the screen where there is a small “staircase”. We kind of block the wrong ways of the labyrinth for her.
But in no way I would have figured this out before I actually did it and she climbed out.

I also felt that chapter 5 wasn’t very hard. Maybe I also got accustomed to the puzzles. I definitely did try blind inventory combining a lot, and those items gave me plenty of clues what to do next. I wasn’t really even stuck in this chapter, only very shortly after forgetting some items, like the whole existence of the chain. I was at the gate wondering “hmm, where could I find a chain”, and went past the stupid chain several times… I also forgot to try and loot the floating nuisance that was following us. I thought we only needed to distract it because it was after the älva. The “quest text” even grayed out after building the totem, so I just didn’t remember to try the hand icon on it again.

As for the story, we got a conclusion of sorts. It’s true the game is more of an introduction to lore than an actual great story itself. The ending was kind of wistful. It’s okay that not everything is explained, but it does feel a tad unsatisfying still - getting a compendium of all the other creatures but not of the one we see the most.

I don’t really know what to make of it all.
Did the creature turn to stone because of the sunlight? Did the älva get her wings because of the sunlight? Or did the creature really somehow sacrifice itself for the wings? Or did the journey make the älva happy, and so she just grew wings?

The trolls called the creature newborn, but that doesn’t mean it would have been a troll newborn, the trolls were snatching newborns from others, they’d probably know plenty of different newborn creatures. And the creature’s nature really doesn’t fit trolls. Whatever the creature was, I still feel sad that it lived only for a short while. It did a great deed protecting the älva, but it was a baby itself, I wish someone would have taken care of it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

millenia - 23 February 2021 04:02 PM

The ‘puzzle’ solutions end up being so obscure that I have to try every item on every hotspot or NPC and it gets too tiresome.  Take this last challenge. There were 3 holes that I could find on the cavern floor, 2 of which I had tried the dirt on to no avail. Why the 3rd one was the ‘right’ one? No idea.

This is an example of a puzzle where I was a bit stumped too, but it did make sense in hindsight. The älva was lost, wandering blindly below, as it can be seen how the holes light up. The creature fills up those smaller holes, guiding the älva to the left of the screen where there is a small “staircase”. We kind of block the wrong ways of the labyrinth for her.
But in no way I would have figured this out before I actually did it and she climbed out.
.[/spoiler]

As for the story, we got a conclusion of sorts. It’s true the game is more of an introduction to lore than an actual great story itself. The ending was kind of wistful. It’s okay that not everything is explained, but it does feel a tad unsatisfying still - getting a compendium of all the other creatures but not of the one we see the most.

I don’t really know what to make of it all.
Did the creature turn to stone because of the sunlight? Did the älva get her wings because of the sunlight? Or did the creature really somehow sacrifice itself for the wings? Or did the journey make the älva happy, and so she just grew wings?

The trolls called the creature newborn, but that doesn’t mean it would have been a troll newborn, the trolls were snatching newborns from others, they’d probably know plenty of different newborn creatures. And the creature’s nature really doesn’t fit trolls. Whatever the creature was, I still feel sad that it lived only for a short while. It did a great deed protecting the älva, but it was a baby itself, I wish someone would have taken care of it.

Thank you for explaining about my conundrum. That makes sense, I just didn’t see it.
I am much happier to see the protagonist not as a troll, but as something else. I was confused when it turned into a rock with the sun, but it’s character was obviously different. Perhaps this is a story of the birth of a new mythological creature, a benign and helpful one that guides the disadvantaged and gives them hope.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

colpet - 24 February 2021 06:55 AM

Thank you for explaining about my conundrum. That makes sense, I just didn’t see it.

Actually, I remember now that this puzzle had a hint! I mean, I still didn’t understand what I was doing really, but I initially tried the dirt on the largest hole, and the small creature commented that the hole was too big for the dirt to fill it. After that I vehemently tried to fill the smaller holes, and managed to do it. It’s possible that this puzzle required an actual correct order and/or timing to fill the holes, which might explain the “extra” clue. So yes, the game has at least some decent hints. If there were more hints like that, a lot of frustration from the puzzles would disappear.

But like I said, I got accustomed to the puzzles anyway, and didn’t really have bad stuck moments later in the game.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

millenia - 25 February 2021 01:00 PM
colpet - 24 February 2021 06:55 AM

Actually, I remember now that this puzzle had a hint! I mean, I still didn’t understand what I was doing really, but I initially tried the dirt on the largest hole, and the small creature commented that the hole was too big for the dirt to fill it. After that I vehemently tried to fill the smaller holes, and managed to do it. It’s possible that this puzzle required an actual correct order and/or timing to fill the holes, which might explain the “extra” clue. So yes, the game has at least some decent hints. If there were more hints like that, a lot of frustration from the puzzles would disappear.

But like I said, I got accustomed to the puzzles anyway, and didn’t really have bad stuck moments later in the game.

Well I got that hint. But my interpretation was all the holes would be the same when tried, so I thought “That was that done.” In my mind it was a dead end. I did not appreciate some of the openings were smaller (or shallower) that others. Again, I think it is more my fault for not being used to this type of challenge in adventures.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

colpet - 25 February 2021 03:10 PM

Well I got that hint. But my interpretation was all the holes would be the same when tried, so I thought “That was that done.” In my mind it was a dead end. I did not appreciate some of the openings were smaller (or shallower) that others. Again, I think it is more my fault for not being used to this type of challenge in adventures.

Oh, but then you were indeed not paying attention. You didn’t get: ‘hmm, no. That’s not how it went’. You should have known something was up. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top