• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra games in High Resoulution on ScummVM

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i m absolutely clueless if this is even possible as it have been said in the video, ‘adding a file to the game’s folder’!! what?

Tomimt, what is your take on that?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What I’ve been talking the people, the biggest problem are the priority maps, which show the walk behind areas and such on-screen. But that is an issue that can be solved as well by creating new priority maps for each scene.

This is overall, very interesting, as I do recall a couple of fan remake projects for Sierra games, which more or less fell apart because the didn’t have coders to actually do the game. Now one, dedicated fan can remake a game with no need to tinker with the actual coding.

So, all in all, if this project goes well, this does seem like it could be the easiest way of remastering Sierra games at least from SCI0 (KQ4) to later VGA SCI games. Something like this has been already done with The Longest Journey high-resolution fan patch.

And as I was writing this, I decided to check out the new progress, and it seems it’s now possible to add high-resolution priority maps as well:

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve now tinkered with this new ScummVMx fork and it is, indeed, as easy as dropping new backgrounds to a folder. You need to name the files accordingly and just point the game to look for the files from a folder. I’ll post a video at some point on the monstrosity I’ve been tinkering with.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 30 January 2021 07:25 PM

I’ve now tinkered with this new ScummVMx fork and it is, indeed, as easy as dropping new backgrounds to a folder. You need to name the files accordingly and just point the game to look for the files from a folder. I’ll post a video at some point on the monstrosity I’ve been tinkering with.

Awesome Tomimt, thanks for confirming these news, its gonna be a nice hand to push me playing all these Sierra’s once this updating takes place. Thumbs Up

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

here’s a small upscale test I did on Colonel’s Bequest. It does look quite horrible, but it is something of a proof of concept on what is possible with the new ScummVMX build.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Here’s a bit better upscale test for Dagger of Amon Ra. The quality is visibly better on comparison to what can be achieved from upscaling graphics like Colonel’s Bequest has.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Myles, the developer of ScummVMx has now added the possibility of turning old SCI games fully voice acted. This is really turning into the goto tool for remastering old Sierra titles.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I decided to release the HR mod for Colonel’s Bequest I’ve been playing with. Just follow the instructions on my blog. But do ask, if you have problems. I am aware of the graphical glitches.

http://bit.ly/3tp8Nyv

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 04 February 2021 04:31 AM

Myles, the developer of ScummVMx has now added the possibility of turning old SCI games fully voice acted. This is really turning into the goto tool for remastering old Sierra titles.

Voiceover mods are a cool thing for modders, so that’s nice.
The problems are obvious and already present in that short clip. The entire structure was designed so that it mixes lines spoken by the characters and some third person narration. It would take serious reprogramming to get rid of that. But kind of cool nonetheless.

But man, does that graphics modding look bad or what? What was perfectly good pixel arts now looks like some cheap Flash-based browser game.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, there are limits even for AI-based upscaling. Any proper remaster would require the art assets to be re-drawn in higher resolution. These should be seen more as proofs of concept on what can be done and how it can be done, not as the easy way of turning EGA games into VGA.

It’s interesting that you flash though, as SCI0 games, like LSL2 or Colonel’s Bequest, actually have vector-based graphics for the backgrounds. The same goes with older AGI titles.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top