• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Encodya

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

It really looks very impressive.

Not sure about the heroine - she comes across as roughly thrice her age (just with a squeaky voice) - but it’ll probably be worth a playthrough just for the setting ^^;

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-02-12

PM

I’ve played the demo (on Linux, btw), you can get it here: https://chaosmonger.itch.io/encodya

The demo lasts around 1 hour, it is long enough to see how much work has been put on this one. Truly outstanding graphics and voice-over, a lot of (maybe too many) easter eggs for the fans of golden age point and click games, Miyazaki movies and generic cyberpunk stuff.

Anyway it works pretty well, and the best part of it I must say is the traditional gameplay. I really enjoyed going through the puzzles and trying to figure out what to do next. I usually don’t back games on Kickstarter but this demo really impressed me also because it came out of nowhere. It quickly became my most wanted adventure.

If you are more on the traditional side of adventure gaming (i.e. those with inventory puzzles leading the experience) and don’t dislike AAA graphics (who does?) you should really try out the demo.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

10 days guys, finally something one can hold his breath for.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wow, the site uploaded the walkthrough before the game’s release, strangest thing can happen.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Been paying attention to Encodya for about a year now. Somehow this release totally snuck up on me, though. Cant wait to give it a shot after I’m done with the game I’m currently playing.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

beautiful artwork and a100% classic output and gameplay.

just started but it is on the easy side even tho i chose to play on the hard mode, some ‘obvious’ pixel hunting that doesn’t bother at all to this point, but i don’t know if it is my computer; the mouse is lagging or heavy on its movements reception a bit.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The pixel hunting is actually really annoying me in this game. 99% of the time I’ve had any trouble with the puzzles it’s because of missing some intentionally obscured object, not lateral thinking. Reminds me of early Pendulo games that seemed to revel in pixel hunts rather than regarding them as an unintentional design flaw of some earlier adventure games.

Easy mode is basically worthless, too. All the hints are suggestions you would have already considered if you’re stuck enough to want a hint. Easy mode let’s you use hotspot highlight but it’s less of a highlight and more like a dim glow. A brief dim glow. Also it only highlights objects you can pick up instead of all interactables (like every other game on the planet). So if an object you need is in a trash can, a box, or whatever else it won’t highlight it.

So far it seems like a decent game, it’s very beautiful, but the story wasn’t grabbing me enough to put up with the issues I had. Bouncing off it for now to play The Medium.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Sad to hear, game looked beautiful.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 31 January 2021 09:22 AM

its beautiful, i hear nothing from PlanetX that makes it less.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 31 January 2021 11:00 AM
Jdawg445 - 31 January 2021 09:22 AM

its beautiful, i hear nothing from PlanetX that makes it less.

If gameplay is lacking, then all the beautiful artwork in the world is for nothing to me. Might as well watch a movie, you said mouse was laggy, and planet x confirms pixel hunting to the fullest, and the story is subpar to him. Our views pretty much line up, when it comes to games.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished this beautiful looking game & I liked it a lot - engaging story, nice voice-acting & enough challenge puzzle-wise to keep me interested although too many dialogue-based ones for my liking.

I guess I’m lucky as didn’t experience any problems with the mouse being ‘laggy’ so for me the game played flawlessly.

Pixel hunting - seriously? No, there were only 2 places that I missed spotting an object I needed & they were easy enough to find - it was helpful to move the characters around that potentially obscured them.
Is this what it’s come to now that so many games are so easy that just scouring (previously known as exploring) a scene to find useful objects is now a ‘pixel hunt’?

I do agree with PlanetX that the hints especially hotspot highlighter weren’t so good but not a negative for me. 

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Looking throughout a scene for objects is fine and a staple of exploration in the genre. When those objects are intentionally obscured within the game art it becomes a chore. Even worse is when the one small object you need to interact with is on a screen with little to no other interactivity. In a better game, like Gabriel Knight for example, you get used to looking at every little thing because you get so many unique responses. In Encodya you have several screens that are mostly vacant with one small thing to find.

If it didn’t bother you it’s fine, but the pixel hunting in Encodya’s first section was worse than most adventure games I’ve played from the 90s that get (unfairly) stigmatized for pixel hunting.

The game seems decent overall, I just didn’t have the patience to put up with those issues when other really good looking games like The Medium and TOHU just came out.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

PlanetX - 31 January 2021 05:00 PM

Looking throughout a scene for objects is fine and a staple of exploration in the genre. When those objects are intentionally obscured within the game art it becomes a chore. Even worse is when the one small object you need to interact with is on a screen with little to no other interactivity.

I’m baffled as to what objects were ‘intentionally’ obscured? & the small object you needed to interact with? I’m sorry, I’m not setting out to be contentious, I just want to understand what objects you thought were obscured? Also what the small object was? Spoiler tags reminder if you reply.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

It’s really not baffling. I’m talking about small objects or ones colored in such a way that they easily blend into their surroundings. The game’s full of them. The worst ones are probably the stick on zoomed out crossroads screen or the capacitor on the side road.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

PlanetX - 31 January 2021 05:36 PM

It’s really not baffling. I’m talking about small objects or ones colored in such a way that they easily blend into their surroundings. The game’s full of them. The worst ones are probably the stick on zoomed out crossroads screen or the capacitor on the side road.

Thank you for answering PlanetX. But I found both those items really easily which leads to ask that perhaps there’s something wrong with your monitor?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top