• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Happy New Year! Best Adventure Game You Played This Year!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Happy New Year! Now what is the Best Adventure Game You Have Played This Year?

My favorite I played is The Council. I really liked the characters and story - both were rather unique. Puzzles were pretty basic but that’s not why I play these games. Graphics were quite lovely too.

So, how about you? Play any great games this year you want to share?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Outer Wilds (2019) – Marvelous. My Game of the Year. (I’m a little behind the times as it was AG’s GotY in ’19.) Dexterity required to navigate your spaceship and jetpack, but it’s basically a Mystian game: completely non-linear, mysterious planets to explore, physics puzzles, stuff to read, no inventory. One of the most satisfying game endings ever, emotionally and intellectually.

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020) -  Hilarious! Can’t remember the last time I laughed so much playing an adventure and had so much fun solving unique puzzles. Great writing and voice acting. Just thinking about the game makes me smile. Every fan of adventure games should play this one.  It deserves to win a few Aggie Awards.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Hands down, Mutazione. Wonderful characters and dialogues, beautiful and unique looking graphics, highly interesting story and setting. A hell of a lot of heart went into this game and the writing.

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am also a bit behind, but the best adventure I have played this year is Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love. Very funny, beautiful graphics and good puzzles.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Karlok - 31 December 2020 11:12 AM

Outer Wilds (2019) – Marvelous. My Game of the Year. (I’m a little behind the times as it was AG’s GotY in ’19.) Dexterity required to navigate your spaceship and jetpack, but it’s basically a Mystian game: completely non-linear, mysterious planets to explore, physics puzzles, stuff to read, no inventory. One of the most satisfying game endings ever, emotionally and intellectually.

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020) -  Hilarious! Can’t remember the last time I laughed so much playing an adventure and had so much fun solving unique puzzles. Great writing and voice acting. Just thinking about the game makes me smile. Every fan of adventure games should play this one.  It deserves to win a few Aggie Awards.

Now that I have a brand new gaming PC, I will play both of these excellent games in 2021, can’t wait!

2021 is going to be an excellent year for me!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Happy New Year!

Can’t remember exactly which games I played last year, but among the ones I can remember playing I’d rate them as follows:

Great:

Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil
Paradise Killer
Observation
Röki

Good:

The Signifier
Stories Untold

Ok:
The Hand of Glory
Oneiros
The Suicide of Rachel Foster
Geospots

No really bad games for me in 2020, although I only spent a couple of hours with Beautiful Desolation (felt overwhelmed by the game world and interface, will probably try again someday) and I’m having a hard time working up the enthusiasm to finish Darkside Detective (surprised by all the positive reviews for this one. I find it mediocre).

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

The best one played in 2020, I guess I’d say The Antidote.

At least from the traditional adventures category, otherwise there were some other games that I would maybe rank higher, but from the point-and-click category, that would be it. And the best part is, it was a complete surprise hit for me!

During some Steam sale I was checking discount price adventures, and the screenshots looked like something very different, so I bought it, played it, and (to a notable degree) loved it.

I guess not all of you have even heard about that game, as I hadn’t either.

I have gathered my thoughts about the game in my review, in case anyone is interested.

Veovis - 01 January 2021 11:59 AM

I’m having a hard time working up the enthusiasm to finish Darkside Detective (surprised by all the positive reviews for this one. I find it mediocre).

Well, it happens to be one of the best adventure games ever made, so there can’t be enough positive reviews really.

I know some people don’t like the graphical style and all that, but having Enid Blyton’s ghost that is visible through a ViewMaster is alone enough for me to elevate the game pretty much above anything that Sierra ever did.
Maybe not Space Quest V or Leisure Suit Larry III.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The best games I’ve played this year are Disco Elysium (2019), Anna’s Quest (2015) and There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension (2020).

I quite like the fact that all three games are *very* different from one another. Disco Elysium is an action-less adventure/RPG hybrid, Anna’s Quest is a traditional adventure game, and There Is No Game is a meta fourth-wall-breaking game. Fits my boundary-breaking opinion of “I don’t care if it’s considered an adventure game or not - a good game is a good game no matter what genre label you give it”. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, in fact, the best game I played in 2020 was Strangeland, but shhhhh… it’s a secret Smile

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

This is about the only time I ever post here, but it’s always fun to look back at the games I played over the year. Going in order

Unavowed and Life is Strange 2 were both replays in January with me making bad/evil choices. Tongue It was my third time playing Unavowed.

Telling Lies - Kind of tedious, but I did enjoy it. Would play more of these kinds of games.

Stories Untold - Cool, unique concept. Wish I could have saved the game, but I also enjoyed this one.

Aporia: Beyond the Valley- It took me a long time to go through this one. Nice settings. Overall I liked it, but it’s not something I’d play again.

Geospots - Same old Carol Reed. And I think it’s “middle-of-the road” when compared to other games in the series.

The Low Road - Certain things annoyed me. It was OK.

The Darkside Detective - Really funny. Great game. Looking forward to the sequel.

Tangle Tower - Well made. Even more refined than its predecessor. Excellent animation and voice acting. I really enjoyed it.

Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - Thought I’d like it more than I did. I still enjoyed it, I just didn’t like a couple of the voices, and the humor didn’t always land for me and the ending(s) were abrupt.

Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil - Enjoyed exploring the house and the atmosphere. The puzzles stumped me more than I’d like to admit.

Edna and Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes - I enjoyed the sequel more. I had a fun time with it, but I didn’t like the RPG thing at the end.

Tacoma - Enjoyed, but wished it was longer.

A Short Hike - Not an adventure game per-say. Controls were fiddly, camera setup wasn’t good, and I could have used a map. In spite of that, I thought it was a nice little cute game and perfect for pandemic stress.

VirtuaVerse - Didn’t love it, but didn’t hate it either. Environments and art style was good, but the puzzles I found to be lacking with wacky logic.

In Other Waters - Pretty cool and immersive game. I had fun with it.

Beyond a Steel Sky - The bugginess almost ruined things for me. Enjoyed the world and characters. It had been a while since I played Beneath a Steel Sky. Probably should have replayed it again before this one, but Joey I will always love. I thought they did a pretty good job with it despite the technical issues.

Four Last Things - Too short, but I enjoyed the humor.

The Procession to Calvary - I actually enjoyed it more than the first and liked the puzzles more.

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension - Very clever and a fun time.

Tell Me Why - Really really liked this one, although I would say it could have used more substance. Voice acting was superb.

And as for the non-adventures I played

Stardew Valley - Turns out to be my perfect pandemic game. Started it early on in the madness and I’m still playing it.

Two Point Hospital - I hadn’t played a simulation game in a long time and I had a lot of fun with this one, but boy was it time consuming.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

GateKeeper - 01 January 2021 01:22 PM
Veovis - 01 January 2021 11:59 AM

I’m having a hard time working up the enthusiasm to finish Darkside Detective (surprised by all the positive reviews for this one. I find it mediocre).

Well, it happens to be one of the best adventure games ever made, so there can’t be enough positive reviews really.

I know some people don’t like the graphical style and all that, but having Enid Blyton’s ghost that is visible through a ViewMaster is alone enough for me to elevate the game pretty much above anything that Sierra ever did.
Maybe not Space Quest V or Leisure Suit Larry III.

I’ve no problem with the almost no pixel graphics. Loved both The Last Door games for example. So far The Darkside Detective has had a few really funny, laugh out loud moments, but in between there’s really not much there for me. Unimaginative writing and gameplay, those encounters with different writers in the library being a good example. But I’ve only finished three or four of the cases. Maybe I’ll view the game differently if and when I finish the rest of them.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

My 2020 Top-3 would be like this:

There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension - funniest game of the year with a crazy concept that shouldn’t have worked, yet it worked and so damn well. Shared my emotions during the CPT.
Lair of the Clockwork God - another hilarious, unique indie with a very risky mix of adventure and platformer. Maybe not for purists, but I loved it.
Dark Fall: Ghost Vigil - my 2nd favourite entry in the series after the 1st game. Smart puzzles, spooky atmosphere, plenty of gadgetry - what not to like about it?

My Top-3 oldies played this year:

Shivers Two: Harvest of Souls - an almost masterpiece of puzzle-adventure, a campy horror with many cool twists and one of the best Sierra games of latter days.
Memoria - didn’t expect to enjoy it this much after the mediocre Chains of Satinav. But it turned to be a fantastic fantasy ag, the best Daedalic game I’ve played.
The Cat Lady - glad I finally made through it after all those years. A very beautiful and unique one-man game with a strong emotional message.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Tangle Tower - probably the biggest surprise of the year. I expected average casual adventure, but got exceptionally entertaining mystery adventure game instead.
Great characters (all excellently voiced), good puzzles and wonderful graphics&animations;. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - my very first Layton game. Playing this on 3ds with stereoscopic 3d on was a wonderful experience. Other games in the series are a must as well.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Dry Twice - maybe my favourite game in the series. First one (Wet Dreams Don’t Dry) was good, but the sequel is even better. It’s long, with many locations, typical Larry humour and entertaining puzzles. Ironically, the design of gameplay reminds me of the best Lucas Arts games from their golden age.

Wilson’s Heart - finally decided to play this old VR classic. Wonderful use of VR and hands interactions, with gripping story and good puzzles. Mixed with VR immersion it was one of the highlights of 2020.

Red Matter - another VR game. A must for sci-fi fans of games like The Dig. As with Wilson’s Heart, tactile experience of hands interaction makes the game very immersive. The way they simulated weight (when interacting with heavy valves or picking up heavy objects) was awesome. Also, story is gripping and told in very interesting way.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

My favorite adventure game of the year is There is no Game. It is followed by Hypnospace Outlaw, Jenny LeClue and Call of the Sea.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is no Game is now on IOS, I will be picking this game up, sounds amazing.

Heart

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Many are so different it’s really tough to rank them in an order ... I’d say my top4 (this is a completely random number and not just carefully picked for the 4 adventure games I actually played and liked) this year were

4. Röki. Beautiful, traditional adventure. Solid story. Just not quite my kind of theme. Same things with adults and you can have my eternal #1 spot ...
3. Call of the Sea. Beautiful, solid game with only some small points I’d like to have seen improved. Rare for me to like a 3D puzzle game.
2. Girl Made of Glass. Traditional yet innovative. If only people stopped hanging themselves up over the “combat” (it’s not combat, get over it) it might get the recognition it deserves ...
1. Paradise Killer. What can I say - I’m a sucker for the strange and weird. Although this has some serious flaws it’s the game it’d miss most if I hadn’t played it.

Disclaimer: I almost certainly forgot I played this or that game this year. Obviously.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top