• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

7th Guest - Style - Suggestions

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-09-03

PM

Hi all,

A family member has requested for Christmas a game “you know, like 7th Guest”. I didn’t really play 7th Guest, and my memories of it are very vague. I mostly remember something about a toy maker, a creepy old house, dark atmosphere, FMV, and a chess puzzle.

My relative tends to be less interested in the story/graphics/atmosphere, so I think they are more into the particular type of puzzles that appeared in the game. Something that you can walk away from but then come back to once you think you’ve figured it out? But, I also suspect they will need a loose plotline to maintain interest.

I’m happy to search on my own, but I’m not really sure how to narrow down this type of puzzle-forward game?

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I don’t know if this too obvious, but how about The 11th Hour and The 13th Doll?

Joined 2020-09-03

PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I had thought of these, but wasn’t sure if they were super buggy? I remember reading some reviews on them that basically just trashed them as being near impossible to run consistently. My relative isn’t the /best/ with computers, so I’d need to set it all up and hope it can run more or less without failure.

Thoughts?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The 11th hour can be tricky to get running stabley. My own digital copy crashes a lot.

The 13th Doll is only a year or so old, so much better on that front.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’d think that The Cabinets of Doctor Arcana should be right up their alley.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Eyes of Ara is another one to consider.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

One game that constantly goes under the radar is Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok. I couldn’t remember how standalone the puzzles were so I checked the review (which is rather harsh on the game imo, at least with the rating) and most of them are standalone. Check it out, you might enjoy it.

Joined 2020-09-03

PM

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely look into these.
Smile

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

FaNaTiC - 22 December 2020 12:12 PM

Hi all,

My relative tends to be less interested in the story/graphics/atmosphere, so I think they are more into the particular type of puzzles that appeared in the game. Something that you can walk away from but then come back to once you think you’ve figured it out? But, I also suspect they will need a loose plotline to maintain interest.

7th Guest was basically a collection of self-contained mini-game type puzzles (like a word scramble, a chess puzzle, etc) where each room in the mansion had a different puzzle. The Sierra game Shivers had a lot of self contained puzzles like that. It’s also similar to 7th guest in that it’s spooky, takes place in a mansion, and has FMV cutscenes.

By the way, Shivers, 11th Hour, and 13th Doll are both being sold on GOG.com. Old games you get off that website are easy to run on new computers.

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Dark Fall: The Journal ist also like that.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Clandestiny

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

11th Hour was really good, better than 7th. I recommend it rather.

Been playing games since ‘82

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Not sure if this suggestion is too far off base, but the Barrow Hill games come to mind. Actually, everything that came to mind turned out be suggested before, so this is more like the next best thing. But who knows!

“Barrow Hill” and “Barrow Hill: The Dark Path” are a bit more traditional (linear, inventory puzzles), but they do have that dark mystery vibe going on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top