• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

more attention needed to define the sub genres of new ‘adventures’

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

we used to have classic point and click, Third-person, Solitary Exploration, Puzzlers, Visual novels, Investigation…etc but in recent years the word ‘adventure’ has been exploited by other genres, and nevertheless lots of new experimental’s.

One could have had a look before at any game’s screenshots to know what to expect, now even with reading the review really we can’t get our head around what is the game really about, one needs to watch tube videos and read several posters/gamers reviews to just starting to get the picture.

what do i expect for Hiveswap, what subgenre it falls under, how about The Norwood Suite or Paradise Killer?

either we start to define those new adventures into various new sub-genres or maybe, just maybe at least have a segment at the reviews telling everything about its gameplay, and I mean, a segment that not scattered within the review, but a part precisely dedicated to describing what kind of the game’s gameplaying is about.

and please admins don’t throw me with ‘we already have this implemented at our reviews’ bc if it is, then it is poorly done, the genre is expanding**** every hour, and you need to catch up with it, by implementing new features that help the posters, viewers, and the visitors to understand the genre inevitable evolution.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i love how ye all are sticking your finger your their ears. many months later this will be a concern and apparent confusion of how the genre is losing its three cornerstones with no actual ties to the core still intact; creating confusion if not for many at least for me?.

it seems that any game that has no action element or whatnot is now being pushed into the adventure genre, i.e if you filter Steam with the ‘adventure’ tag you will come across games you might know better yourself what they are about, but newcomers will absolutely be in a state of delusion about what the genre is really about, but that not even the problem, steam is just and selling venue, but when this sort of categorization of games also showing its disguise at the site might be, also again maybe it is not of a big deal…
but a leading site like this that has most of the elite Developers as members at it and many are already active and comfortable feeling the respectable vibe needed that let them come forward, ‘do you know how devs layback at any site they happen to register to, and honestly before I mention them devs i must bring to attention that the site hotspot really having the most intelligent gamers of any kind gamers or genre all present here, and that nice vibe i give all the credits to the Admins whom always being involved in discussions as gamers before moderator long before needing making some firm solution to any kinda hassle that gets around here rarely between members or thru any of the posts the uses aggressiveness or attacking content toward anything, really this is a blessing. for me its not just an adventure gaming news site but rather a social network that exceeds FB, Instagram or even twister, simply bc adventure gaming is the most 2nd important thing in my life that I want to always have discussions about with anyone

so the point after all this babbling is the need to be initiative, not followers, as always the site was; starting redefining those new emerging different sub-genre bc some haven’t any reference to/from games at the database here, and i am sure i need to be speaking exclusively about my self, but whats better when telling someone about a new adventure than just to point at other titles that he/she can instantly absorb how the reference explain 100 words review in FLASH, thus what to expect,

just by starting seeing that the way of point and click and Solitary exploration arent the 90% of what the genre is publishing each year like thru the first 30years and the reason eventually the last 10 years more are contributed to tablets and mobiles rather than the PCs and computers, so, for example, that covering of the Handheld games at Aggies Award each year always (or seems to me) made just out of wanting to be honorable to these kinds of adventure gaming. but soon this and we should know that the Tablet/Handheld’s section will ride the shark! so soon, either we liked it or not.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie did you finish Disco Elysium?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

No Gabe, not even tried, and it’s exactly bc i don’t have any idea what i can expect from it.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I advise you finish it first,before try to define the sub genres of new adventures.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

To me, almost all sub genres are getting releases. It can be FMV, Point and Click, VR or Visual Novel, we get plenty of variety today and that’s good. The quality is excellent also. To me, I can identify the sub genre almost instantly from the pics and description on the website.

I am currently playing 2064 Read Only Memories and VA-11 Hall-A, great retro games with great stories. 2064 is classic point and click, while VA-11 is a classic visual novel with some simple puzzles. Both have great stories and characters.

I can recall in the past where we didn’t get near the variety we get today.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Advie - 01 December 2020 08:12 AM

just by starting seeing that the way of point and click and Solitary exploration arent the 90% of what the genre is publishing each year like thru the first 30 years

Going by what you posted here and over in this thread…
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/8221/

...you’re having trouble finding games you want to play because of the low signal-to-noise ratio.

When I started looking for adventure games to play in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, games like Tomb Raider and Zelda were labelled as “adventure games,” both online and in local game shops. Besides RPG’s and action games, strategy games were also mislabelled as adventure games. They aren’t even the same genre as adventure games. So not classifying individual adventure games by subgenre doesn’t seem that big a deal by comparison.

If you’re not enjoying “shopping” for your next adventure game by reading reviews, reading opinions on forums, watching snips on YouTube, etc., to find a game that’s the type of game you want, maybe it’s time to replay your older games. Do you really remember everything about the ones you played 20 or 30 years ago?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Adv_Lvr - 02 December 2020 06:52 PM

I can identify the sub genre almost instantly from the pics and description on the website.

Heart

well good for you Mkekelly you never seem to have any problems ever with anything.

crabapple - 03 December 2020 11:57 AM

maybe it’s time to replay your older games. Do you really remember everything about the ones you played 20 or 30 years ago?

i do that new regime all the time now, I’ve on this kinda two games repertoire, which always consists of (re)playing a new and an old game at the same time.

as for you 2nd part, are you kidding!, those all what I remember, I don’t remember much about Silence, but I sure remember everything thing that is about Loom, Phantasmagoria ...etc, or even KQ1.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Advie - 01 December 2020 08:12 AM

i love how ye all are sticking your finger your their ears. many months later this will be a concern and apparent confusion of how the genre is losing its three cornerstones with no actual ties to the core still intact; creating confusion if not for many at least for me?.

What are the three cornerstones? And what is the core?

it seems that any game that has no action element or whatnot is now being pushed into the adventure genre, i.e if you filter Steam with the ‘adventure’ tag you will come across games you might know better yourself what they are about, but newcomers will absolutely be in a state of delusion about what the genre is really about, but that not even the problem, steam is just and selling venue, but when this sort of categorization of games also showing its disguise at the site might be, also again maybe it is not of a big deal…
but a leading site like this that has most of the elite Developers as members at it and many are already active and comfortable feeling the respectable vibe needed that let them come forward, ‘do you know how devs layback at any site they happen to register to, and honestly before I mention them devs i must bring to attention that the site hotspot really having the most intelligent gamers of any kind gamers or genre all present here, and that nice vibe i give all the credits to the Admins whom always being involved in discussions as gamers before moderator long before needing making some firm solution to any kinda hassle that gets around here rarely between members or thru any of the posts the uses aggressiveness or attacking content toward anything, really this is a blessing. for me its not just an adventure gaming news site but rather a social network that exceeds FB, Instagram or even twister, simply bc adventure gaming is the most 2nd important thing in my life that I want to always have discussions about with anyone

I think this is the longest sentence I have ever read. Nice work!

so the point after all this babbling is the need to be initiative, not followers, as always the site was; starting redefining those new emerging different sub-genre bc some haven’t any reference to/from games at the database here, and i am sure i need to be speaking exclusively about my self, but whats better when telling someone about a new adventure than just to point at other titles that he/she can instantly absorb how the reference explain 100 words review in FLASH, thus what to expect,

just by starting seeing that the way of point and click and Solitary exploration arent the 90% of what the genre is publishing each year like thru the first 30years and the reason eventually the last 10 years more are contributed to tablets and mobiles rather than the PCs and computers, so, for example, that covering of the Handheld games at Aggies Award each year always (or seems to me) made just out of wanting to be honorable to these kinds of adventure gaming. but soon this and we should know that the Tablet/Handheld’s section will ride the shark! so soon, either we liked it or not.

I get a pretty good idea from the reviews here what to expect. But maybe some people would find what you are suggesting useful. Why not make a thread? It should not take you too long to do this for tens of thousands of games.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Luhr28 - 03 December 2020 07:03 PM

What are the three cornerstones? And what is the core?

Narrative/Story - Exploring - Puzzles

the core?, what’s the core of RPGs?

Luhr28 - 03 December 2020 07:03 PM

I think this is the longest sentence I have ever read. Nice work!

hey, i may just have forgotten the dots, commas, and the spaces Laughing

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Advie - 04 December 2020 07:37 AM

the core?, what’s the core of RPGs?

Never ever ask this question. Unless you want a horde of passionate RPG fans to storm into the forum and start a fight about the definition of RPGs. Trust me, I’ve spent enough time with that crowd. They just can’t agree on the answer to your question.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

LittleRose - 04 December 2020 04:25 PM

Never ever ask this question. Unless you want a horde of passionate RPG fans to storm into the forum and start a fight about the definition of RPGs. Trust me, I’ve spent enough time with that crowd. They just can’t agree on the answer to your question.

Sounds familiar. Innocent Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top