• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sam & Max: Save The World Remastered

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Vice article on the announcement.

Sam & Max are back—again. Yes, there was a virtual reality game announced a few months back, but this latest announcement is likely to land a big harder with fans. Several members of the original Sam & Max development team at Telltale Games have come together under a new roof to update, polish, and remaster the first season of Telltale’s episodic series.

This update to Sam & Max Save the World, the game’s first season, is coming to both Switch and PC on December 2.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Pre-order at gog: https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_sam_max_save_the_world

Not a bad price if you don’t already own it. IT’s been ages I’ve played it, but I recall it being fun enough.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Great news! Just played first season few weeks ago. It`s fun game.

There are lots of Sam & Max things going on right now.. New action figures, rumored anthology box made by Limited Run Games, new vr game and now this remastering. Sounds good to me Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

PlanetX - 09 November 2020 12:17 PM

Sam & Max are back—again. Yes, there was a virtual reality game announced a few months back, but this latest announcement is likely to land a big harder with fans.

It’s really going from bad to worse.
I didn’t think this kind of content suits to VR at all, but making a remaster seems even more stupid. At least seeing those screenshots makes it look completely pointless, basically they just add few shades here and there.

I suppose this is the best that the new Telltale can do (and it’s not even them doing it!), and the only good thing I can think about this is that maybe this will somehow help them finance some new game content in the future. Having said that, I can’t believe that there is much of an audience for this. Most gamers have the original game already, and there’s no point in buying the remaster just to get few more shades in the game.

tomimt - 09 November 2020 01:21 PM

Not a bad price if you don’t already own it. IT’s been ages I’ve played it, but I recall it being fun enough.

It’s a complete rip-off price!
There’s nothing that people owning the original game would need to have here, and asking that much money to buy that game again is ridiculous. Most of the time people get remasters for free anyway on GOG (like recently with Neighbors back from Hell), which makes that price ever worse.

I won’t be buying it, I hate remastered versions anyway, and this seems to have much less content than remasters usually do. At least DoubleFine remasters and all those had completely different graphics, this one only polishes already existing models.

I find it very hard to believe that this is going to generate much interest.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m a HUGE fan of Sam & Max and for me this is great news.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GateKeeper - 10 November 2020 03:13 AM

tomimt - 09 November 2020 01:21 PM

It’s a complete rip-off price!
There’s nothing that people owning the original game would need to have here, and asking that much money to buy that game again is ridiculous. Most of the time people get remasters for free anyway on GOG (like recently with Neighbors back from Hell), which makes that price ever worse.

If you read what I wrote, it says “Not a bad price if you don’t already own it.” So, you know, for people who don’t have it, it’s not a bad price. Personally, I’m not going to buy it either, as I have the original.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 10 November 2020 06:43 AM

If you read what I wrote, it says “Not a bad price if you don’t already own it.” So, you know, for people who don’t have it, it’s not a bad price. Personally, I’m not going to buy it either, as I have the original.

I think it’s a rip-off price for those who don’t own it as well, it’s the same price as the original game had few years ago (I checked from archive.org), and the original game isn’t part of the package, at least it isn’t mentioned in the game card.

Compared to Season 2, which very surprisingly is still available on Steam, it’s double the price, and for that you don’t get the original game, but some weird “remaster” where somebody has added a few shadows to a 14 years old game.

Whether you own the original or not, I just can’t see any justification for that price. Those who already own it, are supposed to be paying for it again. Those who don’t own it, will be paying the full price and never getting the real, original game.

I think that’s a lose-lose situation no matter how you think about it.
I’m not even getting into the discussion about some voice actors being changed for some weird racial concerns.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Now I see that they are changing Bosco’s voice actor and he was the best one in the game.
WTF!!??

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GateKeeper - 10 November 2020 08:20 AM

I think it’s a rip-off price for those who don’t own it as well, it’s the same price as the original game had few years ago (I checked from archive.org), and the original game isn’t part of the package, at least it isn’t mentioned in the game card.

Compared to Season 2, which very surprisingly is still available on Steam, it’s double the price, and for that you don’t get the original game, but some weird “remaster” where somebody has added a few shadows to a 14 years old game.

Oh, please. It’s obvious they’ve done a bit more than “just added some shadows to a 14-years old game”. Now you’re just being snarky just for the sake of being snarky. This isn’t something like that terrible “HD-version” of Simon the Sorcerer was a couple of years back.

Again, as far I see it, that’s a pretty good deal if you don’t already own the game. But you will obviously disagree with that, if not for anything else, but for a principle.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

It’s worth mentioning that there’s a discount for people who do already own the game. They also have done more than just lighting. There’s new animation, models, music, gamepad support, etc.

I’m looking forward to it. I just wish they hadn’t replaced Bosco’s voice actor.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 10 November 2020 09:03 AM

This isn’t something like that terrible “HD-version” of Simon the Sorcerer was a couple of years back.

You’re right, that terrible Simon the Sorcerer comes with the original voice acting, and the original game is a downloadable bonus, so it’s indeed a different case.

There’s something similar too though, those who had the original Simon the Sorcerer didn’t (fortunately!) get that “remastered” version for free.

I guess I’m seeing a pattern here: these remastered versions always butcher the original game. I guess adding a few shadows and whatever else they have done isn’t as bad as ruining the opening sequence for Broken Sword and all that, but I just don’t see any reason for any of these, except trying to make easy money.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The new Telltale engine doesn’t look much different from the old one - which wasn’t a good engine to start with. I agree that it looks suspiciously like an attempt to make a quick buck on the recent Sam & Max craze rather than to do a proper remake - which wouldn’t be a bad idea since, from what I remember, the first S&M season was very rough around the edges, both technically and script-wise. But for some reason I have a feeling they are going to downgrade the game by simplifying the gameplay along with the interface to make it easier for console players and to promote their QTE style of latter days. And changing Bosco’s voice is the worst decision for certain.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2003-09-07

PM

Hi just dropping by AG to say I hope people like the game. Most everyone on the team worked on the original seasons or other Sam & Max content at Telltale. We’re now fortunate enough to collectively own our own work on these games (instead of them being owned by Telltale) and are using this as an opportunity to give them a fresh coat of paint and push them out to new platforms.

To be clear, the original release isn’t going away, we’re just not really interested in charging money for it, but don’t want it to be the “free version” in the store right at launch of the new version either, since that will cause a ton of confusion. We’re still sorting out exactly how to reorganize and release the old versions, but it will happen.

Jake Rodkin might be from the future, but he probably isn’t.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

From what it says in the VICE article they’ve been working on this for two years in total. So I’m reticent to cynically assume it’s all for a quick buck. What I get from it is that they wanted to do something with Sam & Max but they’re a small team so they needed to start small, test the waters to gauge the level of fan interest. See if it makes financial sense to invest the kind of time and money it would take to maybe make a new game.

Going from the article again it seems like they didn’t change the puzzles or interaction gameplay wise.

But the team also tried to draw a line in the sand: don’t mess with stuff you didn’t work on.

“We were very, very committed to sticking to the original design and the story,” said programmer Randy Tudor, “even to the point where there were a couple times John [Sgro] was playing the game and he’d write up a bug and be like ‘That shouldn’t be like that.’ I’m like “well, that’s the way they designed it. We were very careful about not trying to reinterpret intent.”

One small example was towards the end of the first season, where Sam and Max enter a room where there’s a big spoon that can be bent using your newfound psychic powers.

“When you leave the room, the designer was very specific about, ‘oh, I want that spoon to unbend,’” said Tudor. “We couldn’t remember why? But we think it was because they didn’t want someone to accidentally stumble across the puzzle solution. And we kind of sat on that issue for a while and thought up several different possible solutions and ended up not doing anything. [laughs] So it’s still the way it was before.”

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

PlanetX - 10 November 2020 03:25 PM

Going from the article again it seems like they didn’t change the puzzles or interaction gameplay wise.

You are right, my bad, somehow I missed this part of the article. Although I didn’t find where it says the game had been two years in production. It says Telltale closed two years ago, then a “controversial Telltale revival” happened (that was last year), then Dan Connors contacted some of the ex-employees and they managed to acquire S&M license, then they started digging into old stuff, then decided to make a patch, then decided to make a remaster… So it seems to me like the actual work on the game started only recently.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2004-03-25

PM

GateKeeper you REALLY need to chill out on this, you’re acting so bitter and angry when it’s actually a really cool thing to see these games getting this kinda love and clearly a lot of effort and care has been put into this. I for one am excited, these games were always a gem!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top