• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

what is yalls favorite gaming systems and why?

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I am curious what are some of yalls favorite systems over the yrs. It is very hard to choose. I love the original nes, my sega, ps2, ps4, and xbox 360, but even though it had a shorter shelf lifw my absolute favorite console probably is my sega dreamcast.

I loved my dreamcast, and I still play it from time to time, even though it sounds like a jet taking off lol. The dreamcast had games for everybody. It also hosted my two favorite jrpgs of all time, in grandia 2 and skies of arcadia. You also had the first console type of open world game in shenmue, and several great sports games, and arcade type games. You could go from playing sonic, to DOA, nfl2k, to crazy taxi, powerstone, shenmue, all the way to raising a pet voiced by leonard nimoy in the game seaman lol. Dreamcast took chances and made a lot of good crazy games, along with a lot of horrible games, but they tried to push boundaries. The dreamcast came and went quickly, but it is a favorite of mine. What about yall?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have fond memories of my Sega Master System II, of the Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesys), of my Nintendo Wii, my Nintendo DS and my Nintendo 3DS.
If I have to pick a favourite, it’ll either be the Master System II or the DS. There’s more nostalgia linked to the Master System II, but the DS had - for me - a few better titles.

But all things considered, PC has always won the fight for me against all other platforms…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I have fond memories as a child of visiting my next-door neighbor and playing his Amiga. It was incredibly slow to boot up and required a separate boot disk, and it had a joystick which you needed to wrestle with most of the time to do what you wanted it to do. But I loved it. It was my first introduction to gaming. There was some great games I remember playing liked Centurion: Defender of Rome, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and a bunch of other 2 player co-op games.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 September 2020 02:06 PM

I am curious what are some of yalls favorite systems over the yrs. It is very hard to choose. I love the original nes, my sega, ps2, ps4, and xbox 360, but even though it had a shorter shelf lifw my absolute favorite console probably is my sega dreamcast.

9.9.99 baby!! Everything surrounding the Dreamcast was a sight to behold; not only its library but the console itself was a thing of beauty, completely apart from the competish (especially the PS2 which broke down constantly). Even though I have my best memories on the Saturn ‘cause nothing beats booting up Panzer Dragoon or NiGHTS for the first time, the Sega Dreamcast definitely takes the trophy hands down simply for being so out there.

As for the handhelds, I’ll pick the majestic Neo Geo Pocket Color. My best friend and I were so obsessed with her brother’s Pocket Color lol maybe ‘cause no one else owned one in the entire world Money Mouth Way too many hours were spent playing the great Pocket Fighting Series just to hear that sweet Nakoruru chiptune once again Heart

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My iPad mini is wonderful, lots of games and a great screen. PS4 remote play is amazing. I am actually back to playing games on my PC laptop and it’s simply amazing, so I’ll go with those two.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Adv_Lvr - 02 October 2020 10:03 AM

My iPad mini is wonderful, lots of games and a great screen.

Speaking of which, could you recommend some? It’s really hard to sift through all the lousy & p2w games. I had a blast with the funky Dandy Dungeon - The Legend of Brave Yamada and the cute as a button Kairosoft management series, so I know they’re out there somewhere waiting to be found Nerd

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Kathy Rain, The Walking Dead, Shape Shifting Detective, Whispers of a Machine, Ace Attorney to name a few.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I have really fond memories on Gameboy Colour and PS2.
And recently I discovered 3DS. Great little system.

My favourite modern gaming system is Oculus Quest though. VR is truly a paradigm shift. It took them a few years to find the right formula, but it’s now clear the console-like wireless VR system is the way to go forward.
The best thing about about playing on Quest is how active you are. It upgrades the idea that Nintendo had with Wii and it actually make it a non-gimmick. My daily rutine has become playing a table tenis in my living room.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2020-10-06

PM

I’m a health professional and we have been slowly implementing VR for palliative care, following Dr. Brennan’s Virtual Reality studies. Even young and healthy colleagues need to take a break from it after 10 minutes or so. I am quite doubtful it’ll be the future of gaming any time soon. 

My best memories are with my mother’s old Commodore 64 playing the classic Monty on the Run.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

What VR system are you using, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’d argue, mainstreamization is already happening though. Oculus was unable to keep up with the Quest demand for most of the year.

Btw, why do they need to take a break after 10 minutes? Because of comfort?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have a PSVR system I just love.  I play it for hours at a time. I have 54 games on the system. Sony has shipped over 5 million headsets and over 25 million games. Some people like to take a break after an hour of play or so if they are prone to motion sickness.

The oculus quest is also a very popular headset and sells very well. VR gaming is here now and is quite fun. I even have an adventure game on the system The Invisible Hours I cant stop playing.

Heart

Joined 2020-10-06

PM

The Rift S and the Quest but the latter gets comprehensibly more use. I’m not in tune with the current VR gaming landscape so I won’t add more to it. Everything is on hold due to heightened fears of infection but each patient used to get a 10-minute section. Comfort has never been an issue, you can go to the link below for more details on the troubles of implementing VR in patient care.
https://mygi.health/blog/expert-opinions/top-10-lessons-learned-using-virtual-reality-hospitalized-patients

As for my colleagues, they reported minor motion sickness and dizziness around that same time span, IPD taken into account.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Very interesting blog. The story of patient with cancer was touching and made a lot of sense to me. VR is an “escape” tool that somehow doesn’t make sense for someone who is saying goodbyes to loved ones and life itself.

I also saw that you were using GearVR. This could explain discomfort part you were talking about. 3dof motion (no positional tracking) can often lead to nausea and dizziness. Quest and Rift S should be better in that regard as they are 6dof. Both devices are good enough that they should not make you nauseous or even dizzy when used with comfortable experiences (if you play rollercoaster or experiences with smooth moving though, you’ll need some “VR legs”).

It’s true that some are more prone to simulator sickness than others, but the negative effects usually go away in a few days of moderate use.

It’s also worth noting that Quest has 72hz and Rift S 80hz screen. The higher refresh rate, the more 1:1 is your movement inside VR and less disconnect there is with your actual movement and what you see inside VR. The more disconnect there is, higher is the chance you’ll get dizzy.
So hmds like Quest 2 that uses 90hy will help with simulator sickness as well.
Those who are using the high end PC VR hmd Index which has 120hz screen (and even an experimental 144hz mode) are reporting that any kind of lightheadedness that sometimes follows longer play-session inside VR is effectively gone.

Joined 2020-10-06

PM

We are mostly using the Oculus Quest following a comparable method to Dr. Brennan’s, the author of the blog. There is overlapping but it is not the same. He recently released a book that expands on the blog.
https://www.amazon.com/VRx-Virtual-Therapeutics-Revolutionize-Medicine/dp/1541699769

Regards

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

An interesting read to say the least. Good to see that VR can be used for more than shooting monsters or driving cars, etc. VR is now mainstream gaming with millions of headsets sold and several hit games like half life alyx and Iron Man VR.

If you haven’t done VR gaming, I highly recommend giving it a try, to me it’s pretty amazing.

Heart

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2020-11-03

PM

the best console, in my opinion, is ps2. After this console, there was a breakthrough in the field of games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top