• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ken Williams’ book is out

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Venkman - 03 October 2020 07:21 PM

This is how I’ve generally felt about autobiographies - I’ve barely read any in my adult life. But I think I’ve come around a bit to the value of reading directly from the source, even if you’re going to have to take everything with a grain of salt.

It does provide some interesting insight, if not on anything else then at least on how different the computer business was still back in 1980 when Mystery House was released.

It’s hard to imagine it now, but the idea of a game begin distributed by driving them to a store packed in a box full of Ziploc bags in a backseat of an old Ford by Ken’s brother John is amusing enough on its own right.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Vehelon - 03 October 2020 05:25 PM

Aww.. nothin’ cuter than a woman who thinks her beauty is only skin deep…! Wink

What’s that supposed to mean? Rather offensive

tomimt - 04 October 2020 02:03 AM
Venkman - 03 October 2020 07:21 PM

This is how I’ve generally felt about autobiographies - I’ve barely read any in my adult life. But I think I’ve come around a bit to the value of reading directly from the source, even if you’re going to have to take everything with a grain of salt.

It does provide some interesting insight, if not on anything else then at least on how different the computer business was still back in 1980 when Mystery House was released.

It’s hard to imagine it now, but the idea of a game begin distributed by driving them to a store packed in a box full of Ziploc bags in a backseat of an old Ford by Ken’s brother John is amusing enough on its own right.

I’ve read the beginning so far, it’s interesting. And it’s definitely nice to see another point of view than the former employees of Sierra.

As for the other comments about biographies, I’d say also there’s a big difference between autobiographies of celebs (like Jackie chan et al’) and biographies like this that are mostly focused on the story of the company Sierra…  I’m interested in Sierra and in what Ken has to say about it, I’m not that interested in his life, only in the ways it intersects with the company and the game industry…

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

giom - 04 October 2020 09:04 AM

On the contrary.. if you are suggesting someone’s beauty is only skin deep, THAT would be offensive. But I don’t think that was your intent.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

What’s more interesting:

A)The Book

b) AG’s Reaction to the book?

This thread is turning into something I didn’t expect.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Unless you’re being sarcastic (which seems like you were, but still, just to clarify) @Vehelon was actually being cool* by underlining that women are more than just their physical appearance.
*a huge fat liar!! as if the rich & powerful pick the brainiacs!!!

Captain Blondebeard - 04 October 2020 09:51 AM

What’s more interesting: a) The Book b) AG’s Reaction to the book?

I’d say both, actually. A take on its contents or on its raison d’être is welcomed in my errr book Nerd

rtrooney - 03 October 2020 09:29 PM

So, Maroko, I posit that you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve seen your posts in other forums. I think Lady Kestrel said it well. The word begins with a T and ends with an L.

Instead of revelling, like Jabod, on what seems to be a recurrent preferential treatment to older members—as other forum members PM’d me in support—do try to read the forum rules:

“Passionate, even heated debate is welcome but messages which descend to personal insults, name-calling or other abuse will be deleted.”

Riposte simply to what was said and refrain to get a dig on the person for brownie points. Your bizarre take not only was completely out of left field, it seemed to miss what was an obvious tongue-in-cheek back and forth with @Vehelon. Also, I ask of Admin Lady Kestrel to write in here word-for-word the actual reason she gave me for shutting down my thread.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Maroko - 04 October 2020 01:47 PM

Instead of revelling, like Jabod, on what seems to be a recurrent preferential treatment to older members—as other forum members PM’d me in support…...

I don’t believe anyone Pm’d you in support.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You missed a couple of the rules, Maroko:
- We retain the right to delete any messages or threads deemed inappropriate (e.g. flames, spam, trolling), or to ban users deemed to be breaking the forum rules.

- Religion, politics, and other hot button issues are permitted in the Chit Chat sub-forum, but be aware of the tendency of such topics to escalate into inappropriate personal arguments. There are no hard and fast rules for what’s acceptable in these areas, of course. We simply ask that you show some discretion and consideration for others.
- There will be no tolerance for any kind of hate speech or trolling with racist (or race-baiting), sexist, or other deliberately offensive or deceitful agendas.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

chrissie - 04 October 2020 02:19 PM

Funny I’m not at all surprised with that. @Vehelon, for example, did and he’ll confirm it. Now, please, stop trolling.

Lady Kestrel - 04 October 2020 02:24 PM

You missed a couple of the rules, Maroko

Hm, you’ve PM’d me the following: “American politics are explosive right now, and none of us behind the scenes are in the mood to moderate a battle about it.”

Controversial statements isn’t trolling nor does it violate any of that. If the threads are about politics or touch on controversial events like the 92 LA riots, their bound to have unconfortable opinions on there for many. Is everyone made out of porcelain around here or are we adults? Still, I’ve followed your advice on chitchat only for Jabod to proceed with ad homs without being pubicly called out, i.e., you guys are breaking your own rules in favour of older members.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Maroko - 04 October 2020 02:49 PM

Controversial statements isn’t trolling nor does it violate any of that. If the threads are about politics or touch on controversial events the 92 LA riots, their bound to have unconfortable opinions on there for many. Is everyone made out of porcelain around here or are we adults? Still, I’ve followed your advice on chitchat only for Jabod to proceed with ad homs without being pubicly called out, i.e., you guys are breaking your own rules for older members.

Controversial statements are trolling if they’re continually being phrased in as toxic a manner as they can be found in your posts. But since you clearly can’t take a hint, you can take your business elsewhere.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Vehelon - 04 October 2020 09:14 AM

On the contrary.. if you are suggesting someone’s beauty is only skin deep, THAT would be offensive. But I don’t think that was your intent.

Sorry I may have overreacted but why would you think that Roberta thought that?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Maroko - 04 October 2020 02:49 PM
chrissie - 04 October 2020 02:19 PM

Funny I’m not at all surprised with that. @Vehelon, for example, did and he’ll confirm it. Now, please, stop trolling.

One person Pmed you - WOW! Trolling? - when since was a question interpreted as trolling?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 04 October 2020 03:14 PM

One person Pmed you - WOW! Trolling? - when since was a question interpreted as trolling?

He’s been banned, you can stop feeding him. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sorry, I don’t understand - Vehelon? or Maroko?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 04 October 2020 03:45 PM

Sorry, I don’t understand - Vehelon? or Maroko?

Maroko, of course.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 04 October 2020 03:46 PM

Maroko, of course.

Thank you - Maroko’s a ‘he’ although I thought it was a possibility to start with.
Vehelon - did you really?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top