• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last post link oddity

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

When clicking on the “last post” link for the thread “What game have you just finished?” in the Adventure subforum, something odd happens.

Instead of bringing me to the last post of that thread, it takes me to the last page of the “Last finished game” thread in the General subforum.
Both threads have a similar purpose and coincidentally the exact same number of pages at the moment, but they’re very different threads, so the link doesn’t work as it should.

Clicking a page number link takes you to the right page of the correct thread, the odd behaviour only happens with the “last post” link.

And not sure if it’s related, but since noticing that link error, I’ve also had the following issue:
When there are new unread messages, refreshing the forum page often results in the yellow “new posts” icons becoming grey for some of the threads (as if there were no unread posts), even if I hadn’t yet visited that thread and read the new posts…

I’ve had the same issues appear on two different laptops, both running Windows 10 and using Google Chrome.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-09-03

PM

TimovieMan - 17 September 2020 11:08 AM

And not sure if it’s related, but since noticing that link error, I’ve also had the following issue:
When there are new unread messages, refreshing the forum page often results in the yellow “new posts” icons becoming grey for some of the threads (as if there were no unread posts), even if I hadn’t yet visited that thread and read the new posts…

I’ve had the same issues appear on two different laptops, both running Windows 10 and using Google Chrome.

I also have the 2nd issue you mention.

Further, I have a different issue with the last-post button - sometimes it takes me to the top of the last page of a topic or even the first page of a topic. I’ve found no rhyme or reason to it, and it happens with different posts and can happen intermittently (where it will work, then not, then will again at seemingly random). Edit for clarification - yes, I am aware of the difference of the last-post and the last-read-post. Both will throw me somewhere unusual in the thread from time to time.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

When clicking on the “last post” link for the thread “What game have you just finished?” in the Adventure subforum, something odd happens.

Instead of bringing me to the last post of that thread, it takes me to the last page of the “Last finished game” thread in the General subforum.
Both threads have a similar purpose and coincidentally the exact same number of pages at the moment, but they’re very different threads, so the link doesn’t work as it should.

I wonder if that’s related to me moving a post from the General thread to there. That sounds like the likely cause anyway.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This happens to me quite frequently.  Sometimes all the unread ones turn gray and sometimes one or two remain yellow until the second time I refresh the page.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 17 September 2020 04:23 PM

This happens to me quite frequently.  Sometimes all the unread ones turn gray and sometimes one or two remain yellow until the second time I refresh the page.

Thought I squashed that bug, but clearly there is still an issue with this. I’ll dive deeper, it’s an interesting one honestly.

What is the expected behavior? Having a forum yellow (unread) until all posts in it have been read (that are marked unread - yellow)? (I’d assume this) as well as only marking those posts as read (grey) once you’ve read them.

This is what -most- of the times happen, but I’ve definitively recently noticed that I’m sometimes confused if it marked a post read that I hadn’t yet. Will dive back into the inner workings of this forum software.

As for the last-read post bug, definitively related to what Dave mentioned, but I’ll see if I can make it more resilient. It currently tracks the last message in a post that was there when you last read it. I -think- I do keep the page in mind (e.g. when you get to page 4 of a 7 page post, it will remember you are on page 4 even they are 9 pages when you return) but do not keep the position of the page in mind as you scroll (just the last post that was there). It’s a complex beast tracking everyone’s progress everywhere, but will look into this further :-)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top