• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is there any game from the past 5 years that would enter your Top 10?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m missing out on recent titles, so I’d like to have some shortcuts, and to see the opinion of a beloved community - which recent game would enter your All Time Top 10 list? (Or at least Top 20, if there’s no place in Top 10).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

For me it would definitely be The Painscreek Killings. Very involved and you have to think, that’s for sure.
The main downside is there’s a whole town to investigate and, although there’s a map, there’s no fast travel which it could use once you’ve found a reason/way to visit new areas.
Also needs a fairly powerful PC to run smoothly.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Return of Obra Dinn. It’s a great game and also, at least to a degree, a benchmark on how investigation games should be made.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

All-time top ten is a tough call for any year to make it, even picking one game per year there are 30 years out of 40 that wouldn’t fit in there. Picking more games from a single year (especially 90’s) makes it even more difficult to find any recent games to place there, even if quality would be even throughout decades, which it is not.

The Darkside DetectiveThumbs Up

Other than that, I can’t really think of any games from the last five years that would be able to challenge the older ones. Or maybe some hybrid things, but then we are no longer necessarily talking about pure adventures anymore.

Even if there aren’t more games that I would consider to be best of all times, there are some gems from the last five years that you should play, if you already haven’t.

Sidekick High. An almost perfect one (or two) room escape kind of game, which is also freeware.

Late Shift. Quite possibly the best way ever to use FMV in adventure games, even if that means no real puzzles and in a sense no challenge either as the game will even autoplay if you don’t interfere.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine. Probably wouldn’t make it anywhere near top anything, but in its own way it is one of the best adventures from the last five years.

Start with those, if you already haven’t gone through them.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Disco Elysium. An adventure game disguised as an RPG without combat. Tongue

And I can vouch for Return of the Obra Dinn as well.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1623

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

If you’re talking about just adventure games,I really do think technobabylon would be in my top 10 of all time. I truly love that game.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

From my Top Twenty 2000-2020:
Return of the Obra Dinn - sleuthing at its best and a compelling story, my GotY 2019
The Witness - puzzles, science, spirituality and perpectives, my GotY 2016
Outer Wilds - dexterity required, my GOtY 2020
Gorogoa (2017) - unique little puzzle game (can be finished in one sitting, diego!)

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Not sure about top 10, but Disco Elysium, Hypnospace Outlaw and Return of the Obra Dinn in particular are definitely among my favourite adventure(ish) experiences of the 21 century. Can’t praise them enough and wouldn’t mind if all of them (Return of the Obra Dinn in particular) enter a new “Top-something all-time adventure games” by AdventureGamers. In fact the only “problem” I see is that all of them are indie experimental adventures made by small, even micro teams, unlike most other adventures usually featured among the best. Is it even fair to put a one-man game like Obra Dinn besides all-time classics written, drawn and programmed by tens and hundreds of seasoned game devs?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Doom - 08 September 2020 03:05 PM

Is it even fair to put a one-man game like Obra Dinn besides all-time classics written, drawn and programmed by tens and hundreds of seasoned game devs?

Fair for whom? The extremely talented single individual or bigger teams? In other words, why should the team size have any bearing on getting on a list if the game is good?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 08 September 2020 12:42 PM

Gorogoa (2017) - unique little puzzle game (can be finished in one sitting, diego!)

Oh yes, that one is great! Very unique!

Also - yes, I actually want to hear the honest compare between “90s big-budget” games and recent one-man indie game. It shouldn’t matter - because if YOU were making YOUR All-time Top 10 list without any restrictions, would there be place for a new, “small-budget”, indie game? I know that my only restriction is that I haven’t played that many new games, so older games would dominate the list.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

There are a few I would really consider.. that doesn’t mean they would make the top 10. Most likely not. But if I had to draw up a nominations list, limited to 10 games, it would include

(Edit: Need to rethink this. I thought it was 10 years, not 5)

As much as I like Gorogoa and Obra Dinn, it was really just one or two elements I really liked, the gameplay or art design. So they don’t make the list, even though they are still very good games.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Oh yes there are! Disco Elysium, Return of the Obra Dinn, The Darkside Detective, and if episodic games which final chapter has been released over the past 5 years also count, I’ll add The Dream Machine and Kentucky Route Zero. I have several more excellent games in mind (like Gorogoa), but I’m trying to keep it short. Yes, that’s already half of a top 10, I’ve just never been good at lists.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Kathy Rain

Whispers of a Machine

Dangaronpa V3

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Return of the Obra Dinn has been recommended 5 or 6 times (Vehelon?). Are you going to play it, diego?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Stories Untold
The Witness
Soma

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

My answer is “no, not really”.

I like most of the games mentioned so far, I would just like to know which games you are going to knock out of your top 10. Not much is going to budge Riven, or Discworld, or Last Express or even a Gabriel Knight.

It’s like, a lot of people have no problem proclaiming a Banksy or Pollock a “top 10” artwork until they realise it has to replace a Rembrandt or a Da Vinci or a Van Gogh.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top