• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Popular games that were NOT good discussion

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Hey guys and girls. Let’s talk about Adventure Games that we THOUGHT we liked at the time but in reality were not good. Games that were popular and well received, but might have been more sizzle than steak.

For instance, Toonstruck was heavily marketed. I was programmed to love it without bias. I thought I did. However, after analyzing the game at a later date I realized that I actually didn’t care for it. I ended up completing the game out of compulsion instead of joy.

Obviously this thread is personal opinion. We can give our reasons or just give name of the game or games.

I look forward to what I consider an under discussed topic.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The only popular game I can think of that I struggled with was Grim Fandango but I can’t honestly say that it wasn’t good. I didn’t dislike it, finished it eventually but it will never appear in a list of MY top hundred best games.

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Yikes. That’s a hot take. I appreciate your honesty.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

I actually agree with chrissie on Grim Fandango. The actual gameplay in GF is really mediocre. The game’s strength lies entirely in its characters, voice acting and setting. I always love the game when I start playing it and then wind up disappointed pretty quickly. LucasArts’ older games had significantly better puzzle design. I also wouldn’t say that it was a bad game, but without a doubt hugely overrated.

Full Throttle, OTOH, is indeed a hugely popular game that was definitely not good. I would also say that, with the exception of KQ6, all the King’s Quest games were bad.

I also dislike the Zork series. The only one I could be bothered to finish was Nemesis.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Does this have something to do with me bashing Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars in the “What game are you playing?” thread? Smile

I’ve also recently replayed the first two Simon the Sorcerer games and while I still consider them very good, I no longer think they’re the absolute masterpieces that I found them to be back in the 90s. But that’s not really what you’re looking for here, is it?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I know I’m not adding anything to the conversation of the thread but - Toonstruck is a brilliant game. Let’s forget about the fact that Christopher Lloyd is in it, that it has some of the best cartoon graphics and absolutely THE BEST voice over EVER in any genre of video games, what remains is the fact that the game is crafted by someone who knows what adventure game is all about - exploration starting from a single room, which becomes a castle, which becomes a kingdom; clever design with traditional inventory puzzles in its purest form; colorful characters and tons of fun along the way. I can replay it anytime.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve always though Grim Fandango would make a better movie than a game. I find it a bit so and so as a game, but as a story it is fantastic.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The Longest Journey My nomination for the most-hyped/most critically acclaimed/most tedious waste-of-time game ever produced.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I came here to say Full Throttle, which has already been mentioned. Although, I didn’t get to play that until later. I think there was so much hype around it I would have thought I liked it, without realizing it was just Tim Schafer’s wet dream - motorbikes, rock music and fighting.

Another of mine is Gemini Rue. I thought I liked it while playing, but by the end saw it as a shallow mash-up of sci-fi and cyberpunk themes and aesthetics without any depth.

I might also add the 7th Guest games. The novelty factor was so huge I think I would have liked anything playable with FMV and dumped on a CD-ROM. These games, however, were filled with poor acting, even worse standalone puzzles, and a ghost story that couldn’t be more generic. Boy, did I enjoy the hell out of them at the time though.

rtrooney - 24 August 2020 08:42 PM

The Longest Journey My nomination for the most-hyped/most critically acclaimed/most tedious waste-of-time game ever produced.

Why did you like it at first? And why did you change your mind?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Luhr28 - 24 August 2020 09:06 PM

Why did you like it at first? And why did you change your mind?

Well, I bought it because of the hype. If the critics are giving it 5 Stars it must be good, right? Hated it from the get go. The question is not whether I needed to change my mind after liking it. The question is whether a popular game turned out to be bad. This game, for me, meets that description.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

TimovieMan - 24 August 2020 05:32 PM

Does this have something to do with me bashing Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars in the “What game are you playing?” thread? Smile

I’ve also recently replayed the first two Simon the Sorcerer games and while I still consider them very good, I no longer think they’re the absolute masterpieces that I found them to be back in the 90s. But that’s not really what you’re looking for here, is it?

I missed that.
“No soup for you”

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

diego - 24 August 2020 05:45 PM

I know I’m not adding anything to the conversation of the thread but - Toonstruck is a brilliant game. Let’s forget about the fact that Christopher Lloyd is in it, that it has some of the best cartoon graphics and absolutely THE BEST voice over EVER in any genre of video games, what remains is the fact that the game is crafted by someone who knows what adventure game is all about - exploration starting from a single room, which becomes a castle, which becomes a kingdom; clever design with traditional inventory puzzles in its purest form; colorful characters and tons of fun along the way. I can replay it anytime.

I think my issue with Toonstruck, if it’s an issue at all, is that it created a sensory overload. Too much going on. Loud characters, loud visuals and the Lloyd green screen cut in was very distracting….which added to the loudness.

Just a little too busy. It was hard to develop an emotional connection to the characters or the story due to the environment. Ironically, the environment was supposed to be the selling point of the game.

PS… Congrats on 6000 posts.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I have always thought Grim Fandango is very much overrated. I wasn’t going to comment on that, but seeing that quite a few people are coming out of that closet, I might just chime in on that choir.

diego - 24 August 2020 05:45 PM

I know I’m not adding anything to the conversation of the thread but - Toonstruck is a brilliant game. Let’s forget about the fact that Christopher Lloyd is in it

Let’s not.
The fact that Christopher Lloyd is in it, makes some of the jokes in the game absolutely brilliant.

For instance, when the protagonist wears a cloak at one point, the protagonist saying “Activate cloaking device!”, would be funny as is, but it becomes a multi-layered joke because it is voiced by Christopher Lloyd himself.

Otherwise you are correct of course, Toonstruck would be a masterpiece even with no voice acting at all. A very underrated game that one.

I have heard a story that the bad sales where because of its terrible box cover, which doesn’t much imply a point and click adventure, and doesn’t really relate to the story. I’m not sure if I buy that explonation entirely, but as a contributing factor, it could be significant. The box cover doesn’t really inspire.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Grim Fandango is the 2nd best adventure ever made. just my opinion.

ok lets get the obvious one out of the way.

Myst sucks.

it’s a glorified powerpoint presentation that only sold because people wanted CD-ROM drives. No story, pointless puzzles and can be finished in less than 3 mins if you know what to do.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I was wondering when “Myst sucks” would show up.

I’m not sure I have any highly controversial opinions. Except I know the Untitled Goose Game was popular and I was watching some friends play it, and I did not find it looked fun or clever at all. Disappointing, because I thought there was potential there.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Saying that Myst sucks isn’t really that controversial.

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love towards Wadjet Eye’s The Blackwell games, which I’ve always found only passable at best. Same with the Unavowed. They are competently made, but all of them just lack that something special-element that would make them more than they are. As they are now, I’d call ‘em games you can play once and forget about.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top