• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #61: Anna’s Quest

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Chapter V is just underway and I’ve got two achievements already. “No posters allowed” for tearing off a whole slew of posters from the castle wall - including a few Daedalic posters and what I’m assuming are drawings of Dane and some people at Daedalic???, and “Clever reference #451” for trying to take the fruit with my hands instead of telekinesis - which gives another Harvey’s New Eyes reference. Why #451, though? An obscure Fahrenheit 451 reference???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Remember that I said there weren’t any laugh-out-loud moments? I just LOL’d at the Swan Prince decapitating his robot swan and running off crying. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just solved the pigeon puzzle, but it was completely by blind luck trial-and-error. Is there an actual trick to it? Other than “try until it somehow works”???

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Apologies for the thread filibuster. Just finished the chapter.

Great (almost-)chapter-ending cutscene! The return of the queen actually made for an emotional impact. And then Anna not only saves everyone from falling debris, but goes for a mind-reading on Winfriede - instead of destroying her with telekinesis which is what I probably would have done! Anna is going for the peaceful solution no matter what! Heart

The bit about wyrd isn’t all that clear to me yet, but I feel like we’ll get to that in the next chapter. I’m stoked to continue. Gonna be a *very* long week now that we’ve made it this far… Crazy

I almost stopped as soon as we were in the flashback. It didn’t fully dawn on me that I hadn’t seen the “Chapter VI” announcement yet. Smile

Also, about the kids in the Voigt school (and their self-portraits in class), we know Winfriede and Jannike, Joringel and Jorinde, and Hans, but we don’t know who Wilhelm and Jacob are. The Grimm brothers, perhaps? Grin

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 19 August 2020 12:37 PM

I almost stopped as soon as we were in the flashback. It didn’t fully dawn on me that I hadn’t seen the “Chapter VI” announcement yet. Smile

Use the spoiler tags like this here TimovieMan. Smile
Yes, perhaps telling everyone to stop after the “scene” would probably have been better, but I went for consistency. It will be the final chapter after all.

Glad you enjoy it. Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 19 August 2020 03:42 PM

Use the spoiler tags like this here TimovieMan. Smile

Sorry. Small oversight.
In my defense: it’s not a habit of mine to put spoilers in the open. Innocent

Sefir - 19 August 2020 03:42 PM

Glad you enjoy it. Smile

Enjoy it?
If the game’s ending delivers, this is all-time top-20 material!
I haven’t been this excited since the CPT of The Cat Lady!  Cool

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 19 August 2020 11:08 AM

I just solved the pigeon puzzle, but it was completely by blind luck trial-and-error. Is there an actual trick to it? Other than “try until it somehow works”???

Yes.
You can place the balls in any empty cell. But the pigeon will be moved only if the ball has been placed below, right, left or top him closely. They move to the opposite direction of the one you put the ball. Ofc if there is something that prevents the pigeon from moving, f.e. a wooden cover, the pigeon stops there.

Or you can skip it alltogether ofc….

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 19 August 2020 04:13 PM

Yes.
You can place the balls in any empty cell. But the pigeon will be moved only if the ball has been placed below, right, left or top him closely. They move to the opposite direction of the one you put the ball. Ofc if there is something that prevents the pigeon from moving, f.e. a wooden cover, the pigeon stops there.

I noticed the pigeon *generally* moved away from the popping balloon, but there wasn’t a real consistency as to “how far”.

I got it stuck in the bottom hole of the left-most column a couple of times and had to reset then.

Or you can skip it alltogether ofc….

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished Chapter V. Really looking forward to playing the final one.

My favorite moment was realizing who Winfriede was. The pacing of plot elements is excellent!

Sughly - 10 August 2020 07:16 PM

I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with her eyes in the end Grin

We kind of got a hint of that in this chapter, when Ben comments on how Anna’s eyes look through the holes of the painting.

TimovieMan - 19 August 2020 04:44 PM

I noticed the pigeon *generally* moved away from the popping balloon, but there wasn’t a real consistency as to “how far”.

The pigeon moves as if it is pushed over a frictionless plane, only stopping when it reaches an edge or blocked hole.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pegbiter - 20 August 2020 05:50 PM

My favorite moment was realizing who Winfriede was. The pacing of plot elements is excellent!

In the second chapter, I was actually convinced that the torn off part of that family picture would be Ben. Innocent

Sughly - 10 August 2020 07:16 PM

I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with her eyes in the end Grin

We kind of got a hint of that in this chapter, when Ben comments on how Anna’s eyes look through the holes of the painting.

Actually, I thought it was odd that Cindy had similar eyes like Anna, only coloured blue.
I’m not sure I’m convinced that was any better. Looks like I prefer just a black dot, or “regular” white eyes…

The pigeon moves as if it is pushed over a frictionless plane, only stopping when it reaches an edge or blocked hole.

Oh God, that makes perfect sense. How come I didn’t spot that? I’m supposed to be *good* at stuff like that…  Gasp

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2009-09-30

PM

The pigeon puzzle divided our play testers too at the time, hence why we introduced the skip this puzzle option - not something I am a fan of at all, but it was of course preferable to potentially frustrating the player.

That said, the animator who worked on that pigeon took it all on himself from one keyframe I drew for him - very impressed with the work he put into it! You can see more of his work here for those interested: https://www.johanneslott.com/

TimovieMan - 19 August 2020 07:23 AM

Chapter V is just underway and I’ve got two achievements already. “No posters allowed” for tearing off a whole slew of posters from the castle wall - including a few Daedalic posters and what I’m assuming are drawings of Dane and some people at Daedalic???, and “Clever reference #451” for trying to take the fruit with my hands instead of telekinesis - which gives another Harvey’s New Eyes reference. Why #451, though? An obscure Fahrenheit 451 reference???

I’ll have to dig up that drawing of me when I get home - it was actually done by Simone Grünewald, aka Schmoe, who lead a lot of Daedalic’s art direction. She would do these drawings for Daedalic employees as a kind of celebration of their time at the company, and I was lucky enough to get one too! In the meantime you can find her instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/schmoedraws/?hl=en

The #451 though I believe is just an arbitrary number just to represent how many in-jokes and references I squeezed into the game Grin

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finished a chapter.

I was one of those who quite enjoyed the “pigeon puzzle”.

I do like the overall development, but I have never liked fairy-tales as a literature genre and now I’m yet again confirming why, since I walked into the game blind. The good is REALLY good, the evil is REALLY evil and it’s all because ______ (you can insert big, yet slightly vague thing here). Here we have the Wyrd which also got me confused at the moment and came rather unexpectedly.

I think the beginning of chapter 6 (or the end of ch. 5 was BY FAR the most intriguing). It is SOOOO refreshing to see someone with a bit of spunk and character! Attitude and all, just a normal kid behavior - not some innocent perfection and a paragon of virtue, or someone saving and rescuing someone, or someone being absolutely selfless to help someone… Those things, I realized, are good in small doses. They are overwhelming here to me. It’s just nice to see a kid acting like a kid - sulk, sass, mouthing off a bit and hating school, not wanting to learn and just get outside - just regular kid, man. I had perfect grades back throughout entire school and was an overall good kid, but I feel much closer to Winnie then to anyone else.

I really enjoyed outlying characters here the most - Winnie, Reynard, the Rooster from the Bremen Town musicians ... basically those, who had sparks of personalities in them, something that isn’t just black and white, instead of spewing never-ending goodness. I feel like when you’re nothing but “good”, even if you grow from Just Good to Super Duper Save Everyone Good, it still comes off one-dimensional. Add a bit of sass to Anna, let Ben get angry at something a bit - just things like that would have made them much more relatable. Again, this might be an overall fairy-tale theme throughout all the mediums of presentations, so I might just not be a fan of that.

The animations and music continue to be exceptional, the VO continues to be hit-and-miss.
I enjoyed puzzles here, and I feel like the overall puzzle balance is really good throughout the game. It’s part really smooth/part fun/part challenging but JUST SO.

Favorite moment was the guards misinterpreting Anna’s intentions throughout their dialogue Grin Loved it!

Since, the setting of the Ch.6 honestly feels like a breath of fresh air, I’m really looking forward to continue!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Did we stop the wedding? I think we did! What awaits us now in the final chapter? The moment of truth.

Chapter 5 is behind us. We explored the royal castle and what fun it was! We messed with posters, guards, princesses, cooks, jesters, even with poor birds!! I especially loved the personality of some of the new characters, like the grumpy cook. We also learned a lot regarding Winfriede and Ben’s background!

Regarding the pigeon puzzle, it took me some time to realize I could move some wooden blocks with Telekinesis, but when I did, it was quite simple really.

In this final chapter we delve into Winfriede’s past. An awsome chapter and little Winnie is just adorable.

I want to thank all AG members who participated in this walkthrough and most of all Dane Krams who agreed to join along the trip and provided us with valuable and interresting info!!  Smile

The game is still in my Top-10 adventure games of all time and it did not disapoint at any moment through replaying it. In the contrary, the experience was most enjoyable.

There is no timeline for this chapter. Just finish the game. One of the most memorable endings ever IMHO.

Most memorable moment of chapter 5 for me, definetely goes to the cinematic near the end where we stop the wedding.

P.S. Stay after the credits. There is a small dialog between 2 characters that I first assumed it meant a possible sequel (Do you read this Dane??)

P.S.2: Hey I found 2 caramels! One in chapter 5 and one in chapter 6!! Don’t tell me there are widespread sweets throughout the game for a special achievement! Yet another reason to replay the game I guess….

P.S.3: There is also an award if you make the jester throw tomatoes in every area possible. What a mess indeed!!  Grin

P.S.4: Remember what I told you in the earlier chapters? Replay the game and, with knowing what is going on, everything has a different meaning now. Smile

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Some random moments from chapter 5

It was a good thing we stopped the wedding. Considering the menu, everyone would have died from food poisoning, or at least choking.

Daenerys Targaryen vs the walls of King’s Landing: The early years

I have to be honest here. First time I saw this scene, I thought the old hermit was ready to pee. Grin
Nice scene though.

The moment of truth. Go Anna!!

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I just finished the game. Great stuff!

There are a lot of things I need to process here. My first thought was however that we never got to know Reynard’s motives. Did he help in order to be in favor with the royal family, or was he actually already in that circle before (most of) the events of the game?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top