• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last Door, A pixel art horror adventure

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

Hi!

What do you think about this horror adventure game on Kickstarter?

There is playable teaser available here:
http://www.thelastdoor.com/

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1042570429/the-last-door-episodic-horror-adventure?ref=category

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Backing! I love the artstyle and can’t pass on contributing to a fellow indie developer Grin

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Love the style, but i’m curious. Why are so many horror games using the ‘VERY PIXELATED’ look? Its a silly trend…but then again, I loved sword & sworcery.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

I think the point is to use your imagination to fill the details and get more personal appreciation of the atmosphere. Smile

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

qapitan - 28 November 2012 04:10 PM

I think the point is to use your imagination to fill the details and get more personal appreciation of the atmosphere. Smile

Reasons why retro horror games are just so damn creepy.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Backed!!! Looks awesome!

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

The art looks like the horror game “Home”, which I have not yet played. Thanks for posting!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 28 November 2012 04:01 PM

Its a silly trend…but then again, I loved sword & sworcery.

I strongly disliked Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery, so I’m hesitant to back this. On the other hand, if the developer tells me it’s nothing like it…

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oscar - 28 November 2012 08:07 PM

I strongly disliked Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery, so I’m hesitant to back this. On the other hand, if the developer tells me it’s nothing like it…

I wasn’t comparing it to the game mechanics, I was only comparing it to the neo-retro visuals.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Oh dear…

I laughed hysterically when I saw this and they’re offering you this reward for 200 to 1,000 pounds. It’s almost criminal.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

The demo was short, but very effective.
Looking forward to playing the full game.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I must of looked over the ‘playable’ part. I’m so use to video teasers. Going to check it out.

EDIT: I’m sold. I want to back this project up….it just sucks so much that the us dollar is worth less and I have to pay A LOT just to back up the low end deals. Meh I want to wait a bit so I can properly back the project.

Joined 2012-11-28

PM

thejobloshow - 29 November 2012 12:29 AM

Oh dear…

I laughed hysterically when I saw this and they’re offering you this reward for 200 to 1,000 pounds. It’s almost criminal.

No, that reward is for 25 pounds. Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I don’t mind pixelated look infact loved it in GeminueRue or Lone Survivor and other indies but in this case its not 8-bit level of pixels but Atari level pixels stretched in high Resolution, turning me off.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 28 November 2012 10:44 PM
Oscar - 28 November 2012 08:07 PM

I wasn’t comparing it to the game mechanics, I was only comparing it to the neo-retro visuals.

Ah. My problem with S&S is I just didn’t see a reason for the retro graphics.

Usually the pixellated look in modern games suggests to me “hey we’d like to do hi-res graphics but we just don’t have the resources!”. When it’s done for a particular reason other than just financial or technical limitations, that has the ability to appeal a lot more to me. But that’s rare.

There was actually a really good game released earlier this year called Thomas Was Alone which demonstrated a good use of the pixel-style. The pixels themselves were sort of involved in the story, giving the game a reason to look like that. I wonder if it will be reviewed here because it was really an adventure in the same sense as Portal.

I think a good question to ask for developers is: “Can this game be improved by higher res graphics?” If the answer is “no”, it’s an appropriate style to use.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oscar - 29 November 2012 06:18 AM

Ah. My problem with S&S is I just didn’t see a reason for the retro graphics.

Usually the pixellated look in modern games suggests to me “hey we’d like to do hi-res graphics but we just don’t have the resources!”. When it’s done for a particular reason other than just financial or technical limitations, that has the ability to appeal a lot more to me. But that’s rare. I think a good question to ask for developers is: “Can this game be improved by higher res graphics?” If the answer is “no”, it’s an appropriate style to use.

Ah, I understand. Funny since S&S was the game that ushered in the idea that pixelatted graphics don’t need to be the fallback because of a budget. It demonstrated that you don’t have to rely on typical 8bit conventions and can still use modern graphical enhancements like gradients, reflections, glow, etc. There is beauty in the pixel and that is the reason why its so popular. Not because of budgetary constraints.

qapitan said it best. “I think the point is to use your imagination to fill the details and get more personal appreciation of the atmosphere. “. S&S wouldn’t have been so magical without its Neo-Retro art direction.

A bit off topic. Use the term Neo-Retro for future reference. I coined the term three months ago at one of the Los Angeles IGDA meetings and its catching on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top