• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Space Pilgrim saga

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I haven’t seen this game series ever mentioned on Adventure gamers (it’s not even in the list of games here) and I feel it’s a pity because it’s very good and it’s really an underrated and unknown gem that I’d recommend. So I figured I’d correct that.

It’s two point and click adventure games made with rpg maker, the first game in the series Space Pilgrim is divided into 4 chapters and while the first chapter is good, the game keeps improving giving a very epic feel to the story. The story and especially the characterization is really where this game shines.  If you like Science Fiction and if you like good characters that each have their own distinct personality, then it’s definitely worth trying.

Puzzle wise there are quite a few good and fun puzzles, I’d say it’s on the easy side for people here who have played a lot of point and click but not easier than say Beyond a Steel Sky. There are a few fetch quests and puzzles and some pixel hunting but not much and a lot of the puzzles are seamlessly integrated in the story.

The second game Space Pilgrim academy (year 1-3 and reunion) improves on all of this.

The first chapter is free on steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/429470/Space_Pilgrim_Episode_I_Alpha_Centauri/

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

giom - 14 August 2020 06:15 AM

I haven’t seen this game series ever mentioned on Adventure gamers (it’s not even in the list of games here) and I feel it’s a pity because it’s very good and it’s really an underrated and unknown gem that I’d recommend. So I figured I’d correct that.

The first chapter is free on steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/429470/Space_Pilgrim_Episode_I_Alpha_Centauri/

Sadly, there are so many games that are missing from the database, I would guess that there are only 25-50% of adventure games there listed, and I think it’s the most extensive database of the genre!

I don’t know if they should have some kind of AdventureGamers wiki where users could add games, maybe it would be too vulnerable for vandalism and all that.

Anyway, I have bought those games a while back, and for those who want to buy them, I would recommend Humble store, as you get both DRM-free versions and Steam keys for the same price. Coincidentally(?), those games seem to be at the moment even -50% discounted.

http://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&publisher=GrabTheGames

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oh, didn’t know there was a discount, I just wrote this because I just finished those games yesterday and really enjoyed them Smile so, selfishly in the hope for a sequel, I decided it’d be great to let other people here know about it.

It’s also the first time I recall playing a recent game that impresses me and then when checking the AdventureGamers database noticing that they are missing.

On humble store they seem to only have the first game (episode 1 to 4) but not the second game Space Pilgrim Academy.

Given that their games are barely reviewed anywhere, I’m not sure their publisher is doing a great job…

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Is Space Pilgrim an adventure series? I’ve seen them in bundles but I never heard them referenced as an Adventure. I guess I’ve never taken the time to research it.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 14 August 2020 08:10 PM

Is Space Pilgrim an adventure series? I’ve seen them in bundles but I never heard them referenced as an Adventure. I guess I’ve never taken the time to research it.

It really depends on your definition.
For instance, if you look at the Steam tags, the first is “adventure”, so the answer would be “yes”, but already the second tag is “RPG Maker”, which in itself would mean “no” for many people.

Also some of their other games are hybrids, like the description for The Deed says: “A keenly dark twist on the traditional murder mystery setting, The Deed is an Adventure/RPG game about getting away with murder.”
(And for what it’s worth, the first tag for that game is “RPG Maker”, followed by “adventure” and “RPG”.)

But if the store description of Space Pilgrim says “Relive the days of good old fashioned point-and-click adventure games”, I would say that there needs to be some good evidence for the game NOT to be considered as an adventure.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Adventure games made with RPGMaker aren’t that uncommon. It’s a pretty simple engine to learn and you don’t have to use any of the RPG elements it has.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

GateKeeper - 14 August 2020 06:31 AM

Anyway, I have bought those games a while back,

By the way, Gatekeeper, I’m curious did you play them? What was your experience of it?

Captain Blondebeard - 14 August 2020 08:10 PM

It’s a pure adventure game, there are no combat or any RPG element. All puzzles are done by using items from the inventory on the environment or combining items from the inventory.

The first episode takes about an hour or so, it’s a bit rough and shorter compared to the later episodes but still gives a good idea about what it’s like and is worth a try.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

giom - 15 August 2020 09:29 AM
GateKeeper - 14 August 2020 06:31 AM

Anyway, I have bought those games a while back,

By the way, Gatekeeper, I’m curious did you play them? What was your experience of it?

I haven’t had time to finish the series, I will try to get to it, but there’s so many games and not enough time! When it comes to “space games”, I would first need to finish my Space Quest playthrough, which got stuck to Space Quest V - stuck as in, I played it through, wrote a review that I didn’t make public as of yet (spoiler: SQV is the best of the series up to that point), and didn’t get started with Space Quest 6.

tomimt - 15 August 2020 05:57 AM

Adventure games made with RPGMaker aren’t that uncommon. It’s a pretty simple engine to learn and you don’t have to use any of the RPG elements it has.

Yeah, you can create almost any games with almost any engine, not that it makes necessarily much sense. But there are some sports games or whatever that have been created with AGS too.

There’s certain reputation that RPG Maker has however, and it’s not a good one. As already said, some people don’t consider RPG Maker games adventures even if they might play like adventures. It gets worse. I have heard a rumour that GOG doesn’t let RPG Maker games even enter their evaluation process, which is infamous for turning down indie adventures anyway.

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

GateKeeper - 16 August 2020 04:14 AM

There’s certain reputation that RPG Maker has however, and it’s not a good one. As already said, some people don’t consider RPG Maker games adventures even if they might play like adventures. It gets worse. I have heard a rumour that GOG doesn’t let RPG Maker games even enter their evaluation process, which is infamous for turning down indie adventures anyway.

I like the principle of GOG but I hate how much bias they have against indie adventure games. I remember how much efforts Simon did to try to get ASA a space adventure released on GOG, adding features based on their feedback all for nothing.

GOG did accept some rpgmaker games: To the moon, finding paradise but they even rejected rakuen which is quite similar. Not that I would place Space pilgrim as similar to those games, space pilgrim has a lot more actual puzzles using the environment.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top