• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Martian Memorandum was among my first adventures from the early 1990s (and I played them after I had already experienced some of the mid/late 1990s gems, so the transition wasn’t easy) and I remember thoroughly enjoying it after learning the rule “save early, save often”. A well-constructed and lengthy sci-fi mystery with plenty of puzzles, branching dialogues where choices actually matter and with hilarious over the top acting. I still quote some of the lines. It is in fact quite different from later installments in terms of writing since Aaron Connors hadn’t joined the team by that time yet. I’d say it’s closer to classic B-movie mysteries than other Tex Murphy games which felt more like a comic take on The X-Files. There are also no 7th Guest-like puzzles.

Same goes for Countdown, another early adventure by Access. Both require some patience, but I wouldn’t say mazes or dead-ends were that bad. In fact I encountered dead-ends maybe twice per game near the finish line when the tension grew and I started missing crucial items (which doesn’t excuse the pixelhunting, of course). I agree with everyone on Mean Streets though, quit after an hour or so.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Just finished whispers of a machine. It was good. Its not a very long game, but it was enjoyable. The mechanics left me wanting more. Cybernetic augmentations are used for puzzle solving, and dialogue choices lead to you developing different augmentations.. but the chances to use them to solve puzzles were few. Still, the story came together and was quite strong.. and the voiceacting was good, and it seems they recorded different lines depending on how the main characters personality is. I watched a video to see the endings i didnt do and realized vera was saying different things at the same parts with no prompt because her personality was different.

Aaand because it was so short i also just finished death come true a fmv game written by the writer of danganronpa. I think the correct way to view this is its a movie with some lite interaction. There arent really branching paths like a VN, just choices where the game progresses forward or it doesnt. They definitely couldv done more with gameplay… Because they did pretty much nothing. That said, its a pretty good movie with good production value. The first 30ish minutes are key, because its disorienting and surreal and has a strong impact. That made it a worthwhile movie experience. Even though theres a lot left to desire in gameplay… The story concludes well. Debates can be had over whether the price is worth it (currently $16).. which is priced like buying a movie on dvd… But then how many people still buy dvds instead of watching from a subscription service… I dont know. All in all i was satisfied with the experience and didnt feel totally price gouged… A full game price likely wouldv been offensive.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble. A visual novel from 2008 but apparently translated into English from Japanese in 2018. The “visual” consists of still pictures and the occasional video. Well written with many twists and turns and with lots of quirky characters in that charming Japanese style. I spent over 33 hours until reaching the end and really enjoyed the ride. Highly recommended if you like these type of games. I think it’s made by some of the people behind the Danganronpa series (which I will play next) and 999 and its sequels.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Veovis - 28 July 2020 12:26 PM

I think it’s made by some of the people behind the Danganronpa series (which I will play next) and 999 and its sequels.

Jiro Ishii (the head supervisor of 428) also produced 999, but that’s basically the only major connection. 428 was created by Chunsoft as a semi-sequel to 1998’s Machi, while Danganronpa was originally a Spike IP, until the companies later combined into the current Spike-Chunsoft.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Yesterday. I thought is was OK, the plot is more than a little strange, while the graphics I thought were quite good. Puzzles in the game were fun to solve, and I did like the ending. I’ve played the second game in the series also and it is basically more of the same.

Worth replaying sometime in the future, but not anytime soon.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just finished The Talos Principle.

After Portal 2 I was in the mood for another puzzler, but I didn’t expect this to be something of a spiritual successor. Early on I was thinking “this is like Portal but with different mechanics”. Smile
This game is deeper, though. Portal 1 and 2 were clever and funny, Talos is smart and philosophical, with more gravitas.
I quite liked arguing (straw man) philosophy with the AI, even if I would have liked to take it a little further still.
While I managed to complete the game’s 120 levels quite alright (only a handful had me stumped until I had an epiphany), I only managed to get 12 of the 30 stars and had to resort to a walkthrough for the rest (I’m a completionist player, so there was no way I was NOT going to get them). Well, the bonus star levels were for the most part mind-blowing. I needed a friggin’ walkthrough for 5 out of 9 of those puzzles!
And all that for an extra ending that wasn’t even all that satisfying. Grin
The games’ “regular” ending was the one for me (and was pretty much exactly what I had envisioned during the game - just like the “fake” ending).

The puzzle mechanics have now outstayed their welcome, however, so I’ll wait a while before tackling the DLC “Road to Gehenna”. I need a break from this…

But nevertheless, this was a great and thought-provoking game, and it was absolutely gorgeous to look at!

The Talos Principle - 4/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^thats how i felt after talos, and i still havnt returned to the dlc years later. It was a solid experience and i felt done. The “last boss” scenario at the end remains very memorable for me.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished The Perils of Man. It was a fun litttle adventure. Great graphics and voice acting. The story kept you guessing until the end. Overall, the game played well with interesting puzzles and I would play this game again in the future.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just finished two Android casuals (that were free on the Google Play store for a few days). I shouldn’t have bothered…

The Hunt for the Lost Ship
+ no HOGs
+ variety of moderately ok clued in puzzles
+/- ok graphics, some poorly stitched-together scenes
- in-game hints require extra purchase
- no story whatsoever apart from a letter at the start and a letter when finishing
- fast-travel between locations only available with extra purchase

Alice Trapped in Wonderland
+ no HOGs
+/- variety of often poorly clued in puzzles
- poor graphics, most scenes are VERY poorly stitched-together
- no story whatsoever apart from a letter at the start and a letter when finishing
- ends on a cliffhanger

Basically, they’re the sort of casual games that give casual games a bad name. I wouldn’t consider playing Trapped in Wonderland 2 even if it was also free.
Don’t waste your time and skip these games.

The Hunt for the Lost Ship - 1.5/5
Alice Trapped in Wonderland - 1/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You do know that there’s a thread for posting casual comments, don’t you? Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 07 August 2020 04:06 PM

You do know that there’s a thread for posting casual comments, don’t you? Cool

Good call. I didn’t even think of posting there. I’ll crosspost. Tongue

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Finished The Touryst. It’s only about6 hours long. Nice little puzzle platfomer ot tourist simulator.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Finished Tangle Tower

8.3/10. Would’ve been higher if motivation of culprit was a bit clearer and some plot developments the game could’ve done without.

The modus operandi for the murder is a classic locked-room murder mystery solution. Whole investigation leading up to the finale was also great. Script and characters, music top-notch. I swear I feel like there is one song in the game that was inspired by the VN house in fata morgana.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-08-10

PM

Finished A Plague Tale: Innocence.

It was quite nice actually. Combat and stealth mechanics were good enough to keep you up during gameplay. The bond between the brother and the sister, and feeling of a real adventure were on top. But the best part for me was the design of the Medieval Age environment. It was really excellent and is alone a reason to play this game.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Origami - 10 August 2020 02:25 AM

Finished Tangle Tower

8.3/10. Would’ve been higher if motivation of culprit was a bit clearer and some plot developments the game could’ve done without.

The modus operandi for the murder is a classic locked-room murder mystery solution. Whole investigation leading up to the finale was also great. Script and characters, music top-notch. I swear I feel like there is one song in the game that was inspired by the VN house in fata morgana.

How does Detective Grimoire compare? Worth visiting for TT fans if they haven’t played it?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top