• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Röki

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Anyone else playing this game? It just got released a day or two ago. Started playing it last night and so far it’s fantastic. Could be the best adventure game this year if not for the past few years. Everyone should check it out.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Completed my run of the game. This one is really something special everyone should give this game a shot. I don’t see another adventure topping Roki for 2020.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

PlanetX - 25 July 2020 11:29 AM

Completed my run of the game. This one is really something special everyone should give this game a shot. I don’t see another adventure topping Roki for 2020.

Why?    Smile

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

chrissie - 25 July 2020 01:25 PM
PlanetX - 25 July 2020 11:29 AM

Why?    Smile

Yes, I was also thinking of asking this. What are the things that you think make it a GOTY contender?

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Without getting into anything too specific and giving away the game’s moment, it just does almost everything exceptionally well. The story is charming, mysterious, fun, funny and heartbreaking. The visuals are a mashup of wind waker and miyazaki by way of Scandinavian folklore, which is right up my alley. Some of the scenery in this game is jaw-dropping. Same with the the monster designs.

Plus it manages to do something so rare in that it’s an open ended adventure with satisfying challenge for hardcore fans but also an exceptionally well tailored difficulty curve that’s perfect for casual fans as well.

Everything down to the sound design and even the movement controls are expertly crafted. Even small details like the hotspot highlight (which glows elegantly and sounds like a wind chime) feel meticulously thought-out. And Roki manages to consistently throw new ideas at you for its 10+ hour play time.

Saying anything more than that would require me to get into story spoilers but yeah, it’s great. Really really great.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Glad to hear you think it’s as amazing as it looks! I’m off to buy it, I guess.

Edit: Have played it for a bit more than an hour, and this far it’s great…

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

This somehow slipped under my radar. Purchased and installed! Love Scandinavian folklore and the game looks interesting. Was gonna play the Dangananropa series next but think I will play this one first.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Trumgottist - 29 July 2020 07:48 AM

Glad to hear you think it’s as amazing as it looks! I’m off to buy it, I guess.

Edit: Have played it for a bit more than an hour, and this far it’s great…

It gets even better from there. You’re in for a treat.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Now I have finished the game. (10 hours according to Steam, for those of you who care about that sort of thing.)

It really is as beautiful as it looks! And both story and game holds up all the way to a good ending.

I love it, and agree with PlanetX that I’d gladly give it a game of the year (or decade) trophy. I admit that I haven’t played that many adventure games lately, but if there is anything even close to as great as this one, then I’ve missed it and don’t even know about it. I do have the “great game just finished” rush at the moment, so I love it a bit extra, but I really think this will remain one of my all time favourites.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Maybe give Creaks a try next. Haven’t play it yet, but Amanita has yet to disappoint me. Though this game do seem to polarise people more than their previous games.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Egon - 02 August 2020 04:48 AM

Maybe give Creaks a try next. Haven’t play it yet, but Amanita has yet to disappoint me.

I found Pilgrims very disappointing.

Though this game do seem to polarise people more than their previous games.

It has no story to speak of and you play endless variations of one type of puzzle. Amanita’s wonderful art style, animations and music are the reason I kept playing.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Trumgottist - 01 August 2020 04:38 PM

Now I have finished the game. (10 hours according to Steam, for those of you who care about that sort of thing.)

It really is as beautiful as it looks! And both story and game holds up all the way to a good ending.

I love it, and agree with PlanetX that I’d gladly give it a game of the year (or decade) trophy. I admit that I haven’t played that many adventure games lately, but if there is anything even close to as great as this one, then I’ve missed it and don’t even know about it. I do have the “great game just finished” rush at the moment, so I love it a bit extra, but I really think this will remain one of my all time favourites.

I’ve played a lot of the new adventure games this year and right now the only game that could even compete is Beautiful Desolation imo. But I’d have to give it to Roki because BD’s greatest strength is world-building and the puzzles just okay, whereas Roki is great in all categories.

One that I havent gotten to, though, is Lair of The Clockwork God. Which has a lot of potential to be great. I dont see it being better than Roki but it should be fun.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

PlanetX - 02 August 2020 05:41 AM

One that I havent gotten to, though, is Lair of The Clockwork God. Which has a lot of potential to be great. I dont see it being better than Roki but it should be fun.

Heh. That’s funny, I said exactly the same thing about Roki. Not that Clockwork God was amazing, but it’s the best thing I’ve played this year.

My only reservation, I’m not huge on Scandinavian folklore. It’s so overused in everything, from music to games, that I’m pretty worn out on it.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Roki review by Luhr28

Pretty graphics. Lovely animations.

Now - that’s the good part done with. The game itself is a chore. You enter a new area consisting of 3-4 screens. There’s nothing to do there but run around and “look” as stuff while the main character - a young girl - states the obvious. So that means lots of “Wow, it’s a tree. It looks old.” and “A ladder. It’s rotten”. Why any of these things are there or what their significance is, aren’t important.

After you do that, there’s the task of running around collecting the things you can pick up and using them in some way to get past the monster of the area. Sometimes there’s a creature who becomes your friend. Nothing you haven’t seen in children’s fantasy books. Oh, and Tove makes a random noise with everything you do. Sometimes it’s a sigh, sometimes a “phew”, occasionally a giggle.

And that’s the game. Rinse and repeat until you finally save your brother. The game won lots of awards so maybe I’m out of touch. Why is it so popular? Beats me. It feels like either people love norse folkore or the extremely simplistic King’s Quest 1 style is fashionable again. But it’s 2020 now and that style bores me. This game bores me. Some combat might have helped, like it did with Alone in the Dark or Ecstatica, 2 other (better) games this reminds me of. Roberta Williams might have helped too by including some interesting or relatable characters. I couldn’t wait for the damn thing to end.

Review score: *sigh* out of 5

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Finished it.

Loved it. Everything about it is charming and beautiful to look at. There are plenty of collectibles to keep you exploring.

The puzzles are great it has a good inventory system that was easy to play on a controller. There is a good mix of puzzle types to back up the inventory ones and figuring them out was fun. I especially loved the way the game style and puzzles changed in the last part of the game to fit the narrative.

My only criticism is that you lose the fast travel in the last part so you can end up running around back tracking a lot. The locations can also occassionally be non obvious with routes, I missed a staircase for ages that stopped progress for a good half an hour.

Another vote for adventure game of the year from me.

4.5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 03 August 2020 12:16 AM

Roki review by Luhr28

Pretty graphics. Lovely animations.

Now - that’s the good part done with. The game itself is a chore.

I’m only 90 minutes in but I’m inclined to agree with you. It doesn’t help that I’ve just finished Creaks, which has some things in common with Roki. A giant claw destroying homes. Sheesh. And the non-speech voiceacting which is one of Amanita’s hallmarks. I remember getting thoroughly fed up with it while playing Chuchel, cute as it may be.

I will play some more and try to suspend my judgement. Not sure if I’ll finish it though.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top