• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure adventure game discussion thread

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Luhr28 - 23 July 2020 03:35 AM
lakerz - 23 July 2020 03:21 AM

The Ankh trilogy sounds pretty cool!  Yet another series I had not heard of until now.  On a scale of 1-10, how playable would you say it is for non Japanese readers/speakers?

^  ^

(笑)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

あなたがそこで何をしたかわかる

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

lakerz - 23 July 2020 03:21 AM

The Ankh trilogy sounds pretty cool!  Yet another series I had not heard of until now.  On a scale of 1-10, how playable would you say it is for non Japanese readers/speakers?

As far as game mechanics only, probably a 9. There aren’t any riddles, dialogue trees, or anything that would outright require that you know what is being said. In fact, several of the characters in the game speak English and tell you exactly what you need to do at points. If you get stuck, it’s most likely not due to language but simply due to not finding an event trigger. Keep searching. There’s someplace you haven’t been to yet or you need to go back to. This is especially true when you start having visions.

I would say it’s definitely possible for someone who doesn’t understand Japanese to finish it without a walkthrough. Whether it would be enjoyable is a question only you can answer though.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

While learning Japanese would be the coolest option, you could also try if Universal Game Translator does anything for you. It doesn’t hurt to try.

http://www.codedojo.com/?p=2426

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

何だ?

There are more than thousand adventure games in English that I’ll never get to play.
Sigh.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

The Quest for Water (La Quête de l’Eau) (Fre) (Strass Games) (2000) (WIN)

This is a 1st person French language edutainment game made in cooperation with UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) that is about the importance that water plays in the lives of various cultures in different climates of the world and more importantly deals with how important it is to conserve and protect it from pollution, etc.

It’s a globe spanning adventure that will take you from the Innuit living in the Arctic to the Taureg of the Sahara desert and everything in between. Other than lots of educational material the gameplay involves simple inventory puzzles, a board game, a jigsaw, a few different memory games, trivia questions based on the information you’ve read/watched/listened to and some simple action sequences.

The graphics are primarily of the 2D drawn variety but the edutainment stuff has photographs and live action FMV videos to watch.

I played the game in a VirtualBox Windows XP virtual machine. The games does have a weird graphical problem anywhere in the game where there is water animation that shows up in both XP & Win98SE VMs as well as on an actual Windows 7 x64 machine. You’ll see multi-colored vertical pixels that undulate at the border of the animation box. This is a pretty minor problem though. I also had to run the game with Windows XP locale set to French or some letters with diacritics would show up garbled.

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

An oasis in the Sahara:

Hunting seals:

Graphic showing how much water we waste:

Scuba diving fun:

I want to be a pirate!

But not if I have to memorize a bunch of flags:

Quiz time:

Mythology time:

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

La Quête de l’Eau has a nice graphical style to it.  Thanks for sharing!

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

I haven’t actually been playing any games lately so I’m going to talk a tiny bit about a game I played a while ago.

Mort & Phil: Terror, Fear and Dread (Mortadelo y Filemón: Terror, Espanto y Pavor) (Spa) (Alcachofa Soft) (2000) (WIN)

This is a game based on an old Spanish comic book series from the late 1950s that was written by Francisco Ibáñez Talavera. The main characters are two bumbling fools that mess up just about everything they do. It is also known as Clever & Smart in some markets.

It was made by the same developers that made Dráscula and The Abbey and is a comedic 3rd person game that parodies horror movies. The puzzles are mostly inventory based and you will need to switch between the characters in order to progress. The game is really short though and there are very few locations to explore, but I liked the movie references and horror theme.

The starting location:

What’s a horror parody without Frankenstein’s monster?

Visiting the Bates Motel:

Norma’s not looking so good:

Freddy Krueger as the local bartender:

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

D - 07 July 2020 07:14 PM

Caxy Skunk Meets the Monsters (Caxy Gambá Encontra o Monstruário) (Por) (44 Bico Largo) (2000) (WIN)

How did they not get sued?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

D - 16 August 2020 09:18 PM

Mort & Phil: Terror, Fear and Dread (Mortadelo y Filemón: Terror, Espanto y Pavor) (Spa) (Alcachofa Soft) (2000) (WIN)

Just realized I have a game on my Steam wishlist that looks like it can be it.  It goes by

Mortadelo y Filemón: Una aventura de cine - Edición especial.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1019580/Mortadelo_y_Filemn_Una_aventura_de_cine__Edicin_especial/

I’m assuming it’s either extended version of the game or version that combines two parts. It mentions “Two Sloppy Cowboys” in the description.

The screens look pretty nice to me, and I also love horror movies aesthetic. Do you think it’s worth $12, considering I’ll be playing with a translator. Lots of Spanish negative reviews (which doesn’t bother me that much - I’d just like to know what they say) that I haven’t gotten around to translate yet.

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

DCast - 17 August 2020 12:00 PM

I’m assuming it’s either extended version of the game or version that combines two parts. It mentions “Two Sloppy Cowboys” in the description.

As I understand it, the way things originally worked was if you purchased and installed both the Terror and the Cowboy games (sold separately) it would unlock a 3rd chapter based on Jurassic Park. That version on Steam seems to be a compilation of all that in one game. Given how short the Terror section is, all three parts might equal one game.

DCast - 17 August 2020 12:00 PM

The screens look pretty nice to me, and I also love horror movies aesthetic. Do you think it’s worth $12, considering I’ll be playing with a translator. Lots of Spanish negative reviews (which doesn’t bother me that much - I’d just like to know what they say) that I haven’t gotten around to translate yet.

I can’t truly say as I’ve only played 1 of the 3 parts of that package. Are the other parts better or worse? I don’t know. It does have English subtitles BTW, but the comments say they don’t appear during cut-scenes.

Value is highly relative anyway. I wouldn’t think twice about throwing $12 away. I would pay several times that amount on a game I loathe just because it came in a cool box.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

DCast - thanks for the link, I did not realize Steam sold that compilation.

D - please continue posting your reviews of the obscure.  Always enjoyable to read!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top