• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

It’s a good game so far, but man.. the dialogue is… long-winded, to say the least.

“Hi there. Can I get into the city?”
“You need a vehicle to get in to the city”
“So.. you tell me I need a vehicle to get into the city, huh?”
“That’s right, sir, you need a vehicle to enter the city”
“Huh. So you’re telling me I need a vehicle, to get in, to the city?”
“Indeed sir.”
“Okay, thanks for telling me. Oh, by the way, you wouldn’t know how I could get into the city do you?”
“...”

It’s like they were so happy with their voice actors they wanted to give them every possible chance to talk. So with everyone you meet you end up hearing the same thing said in a hundred different ways.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Longwinded dialogue spoiled Gilbert Goodmate for me. I was looking forward to Beyond but this doesn’t sound good.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

It must be part of hint system.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Gabe - 18 July 2020 09:41 AM

It must be part of hint system.

No, there’s a separate hint system which I haven’t used yet.

It’s weird, I haven’t seen anything like it. It’s not necessarily a problem since you don’t have to keep asking about the same topics (unlike in Gilbert Goodmate), but it’s an adventure game and we’re kind of trained to exhaust all the dialogue in case we miss something. I mean, that’s a general rule of adventure gaming - exhaust all dialogue.

On one hand I like the effort they put into varying the responses, but for brevity’s sake I wish they had less of them. I might try just not asking about stuff from now on and see how I get by.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Long-winded an option then.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The dialogue can be long winded if you exhaust every option but it’s pretty obvious when, after a fashion, the character is just going to reiterate what they’ve already said. So It’s not an issue for how I’m playing it.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2006-12-12

PM

I do have Apple Arcade, and decided that rather than loading this onto my iPad, would use my iMac instead.  The game looks and runs very well so far, although I haven’t played much of it yet.  Part of my reason for using the iMac was the ability to use keyboard/mouse controls, and the much bigger, 4K screen.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Am I still getting my Broken Sword 6?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Am I still getting my Broken Sword 6?

Revolution said it is in the preliminary stages and work would start in earnest once Beyond a Steel Sky was complete.

So, we should see it, but could still be a little while.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

does anyone know how it is selling. I have no interest in it bc I didnt really care for the first steel sky like most did. I do hope it sells well though so we can get broken sword 6.It is on sale right now for 24.49 which seems like a fair price. Its normal price seems to high to me at 35 bucks

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

The second I laid eyes on the art style, one thought came to mind - yuck.

Pity, since the first game was mostly perfect

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Game is solid,art design and writing suprisingly good,finally a modern 3d non-qte adventure is available.Playing on epic level visuals which is quite satisfactory for today’s standarts.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I finished the game and really enjoyed it. Puzzles were fun, world and story were fun and I rather agree with the review here. There’s a few open question I’d love to discuss with people who finished the game so I’m looking forward to others having finished it…

In term of the world and the city, I think it works well as a sequel. One nitpick, I wish people around would talk to each other. In a way this game reminded me a lot of Dreamfall Chapters but with much better puzzles but Dreamfall Chapters was much more immersive because you’d always have people having their own conversation which you could overhear. This feeling of immersion is missing a bit from Beyond a Steel Sky and while it was not needed in Beneath a Steel Sky, the switch to a 3d environment makes this lack of immersion more noticeable.

Another thing I really loved of the first game (and that’s actually present in a way in Dreamfall Chapter) is what Revolution used to call “Virtual Theater” where people had their own routine and you could affect this routine by performing certain actions. This is done partly with reginald and some of the robot behavior but could have been done in a deeper way across different level to accentuate immersion.

I actually liked the long winded dialogue that some mention, this is the first time I’ve played an adventure game where you could feel the frustration from the npcs of having to repeatedly answer the same questions. It’s kind of fun, and is something I really enjoyed.

All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable game that I couldn’t stop playing until the end so deserves a 4.5/5

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

The graphics style is imo the weakest part of the game. It looks like something from 2009, when the cell-shaded look was in fashion. It’s still true to the original, but I would have preferred that they went for slightly more realism than comic-book.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Cell-shading is not just a style of choice. It helps mask low polygon count and makes it look smoother.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top