• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished Blacksad. I really liked this game. Great plot. Will play again. Puzzles were fun, not too difficult. Graphics were amazing, we do indeed still get adventure games with great graphics, we got two in 2019 that I know of.

Gameplay similar to TTG but with some added puzzle elements.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Mikekelly - 16 July 2020 09:08 AM

I finished Blacksad. I really liked this game. Great plot. Will play again. Puzzles were fun, not too difficult. Graphics were amazing, we do indeed still get adventure games with great graphics, we got two in 2019 that I know of.

Heart

Loved the game itself, but the controls are simply GODAWFUL It almost ruined the entire experience for me. When you need to make 7 attempts to angle a character just right to pick up a hall of fame card, or when Blacksad walks somewhere and we are shown his frontal view (imagine if we were walking backwards staring at his face) and not WHERE he’s going… Like if I’m Blacksad why the hell do I need to stare at my own face while I’m exploring the place instead of looking AT THINGS I should be investigating… Yeah, those moments were frustrating as hell. Other than that, FANTASTIC story there.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played Blacksad on my PS4. The controls worked perfect using the PS4 DualShock controller. Obviously designed for the PS4 in mind. I also installed a 13gb patch to fix all its bugs.

Nice to play an adventure game with state of the art graphics for a change.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Mikekelly - 19 July 2020 01:41 PM

I played Blacksad on my PS4. The controls worked perfect using the PS4 DualShock controller. Obviously designed for the PS4 in mind. I also installed a 13gb patch to fix all its bugs.

Nice to play an adventure game with state of the art graphics for a change.

Heart

Oh yeah, ENTIRELY different story on a PC. I’m sure it’d be a blast without that issue.

Also just finished An Innsmouth Case which is Lovecraftian choose-your-own-adventure game, and I had fun with it. It branches out significantly as you choose different way to progress in a story, even though your task is pretty much to survive a day in Innsmouth. Some endings are absolutely hilarious (and I couldn’t find all 27 or so of them after several hours of playing). Humor can be hit or miss, but it’s written in such a light manner that it doesn’t stick out as a “negative”. I’d say it’s a bit pricey for a gamebook still (comparatively speaking), but it was good times.

Finished The Last Express. REALLY enjoyed this one and am now very much a Mr. Cath’s fan, even though I’m not into spy kind of guys at all, but it was all so Casablanca-ish there (and I realized how little of those romance moments we have in AGs), that it was hard to resist. I appreciated the mechanics of rewinding, although I had to do it a few times BEFORE the freaking concert, so I had to listen to the damn thing like 3 times - that was indeed a loop of hell to me. Overall, great game! Is there anything similar to that anyone can recommend? I feel like this “real-time” investigation mechanics could be greatly expanded and built on. I was confused about one thing though - Robert’s very initial action of getting rid of his friend’s body. Any way I thought of it - I can’t see it being my first action if I was in Robert’s position…

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

DCast - 19 July 2020 01:32 PM

Heart

Loved the game itself, but the controls are simply GODAWFUL It almost ruined the entire experience for me. When you need to make 7 attempts to angle a character just right to pick up a hall of fame card, or when Blacksad walks somewhere and we are shown his frontal view (imagine if we were walking backwards staring at his face) and not WHERE he’s going… Like if I’m Blacksad why the hell do I need to stare at my own face while I’m exploring the place instead of looking AT THINGS I should be investigating… Yeah, those moments were frustrating as hell. Other than that, FANTASTIC story there.

Is it somehow completely different on PC or would using a game pad help?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

DCast - 19 July 2020 02:05 PM

Finished The Last Express. REALLY enjoyed this one and am now very much a Mr. Cath’s fan, even though I’m not into spy kind of guys at all, but it was all so Casablanca-ish there (and I realized how little of those romance moments we have in AGs), that it was hard to resist. I appreciated the mechanics of rewinding, although I had to do it a few times BEFORE the freaking concert, so I had to listen to the damn thing like 3 times - that was indeed a loop of hell to me.

You don’t care for Faure? Or classical music in general?

Overall, great game! Is there anything similar to that anyone can recommend?

Can’t think of anything, wish there was.

I feel like this “real-time” investigation mechanics could be greatly expanded and built on. I was confused about one thing though - Robert’s very initial action of getting rid of his friend’s body. Any way I thought of it - I can’t see it being my first action if I was in Robert’s position…

Well, the newspaper clipping in his inventory tells you the police are already looking for him. You can imagine what happens if he is discovered near a dead body. BTW there are two ways to get rid of the body. Throw it out of the window straightaway (you have to hide from the police later) or put it in your bed and throw it out of the window much later (no police but you have to stop the conductor from making your bed for the night).

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

millenia - 20 July 2020 02:42 AM

Heart

Worked well on PC with a gamepad. The problem was not moving/positioning the character, but the very restricted camera. I played the somewhat buggy unpatched game. Liked it!

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Karlok - 20 July 2020 05:59 AM

You don’t care for Faure? Or classical music in general?

It was more of a “I REALLY want to progress and see if my next move will finally work, but here I have to sit and wait until this looooong concert have to be over”. For the third time. Kind of like if you’d got up to the very top of the roller coaster and was looking forward to the exhilarating “fall” but then they started playing Mozart. Mozart is cool in my book (although I got to admit I hated his guts work when I had to learn to play his pieces as a child), but not RIGHT THIS MOMENT. Basically, it was my eagerness to move forward. Tongue

Karlok - 20 July 2020 05:59 AM

Well, the newspaper clipping in his inventory tells you the police are already looking for him. You can imagine what happens if he is discovered near a dead body. BTW there are two ways to get rid of the body. Throw it out of the window straightaway (you have to hide from the police later) or put it in your bed and throw it out of the window much later (no police but you have to stop the conductor from making your bed for the night).

Oh, I did the first way right away. I did read the clipping, but I still thought long and hard about this hard-core decision; tried to imagine myself and my friend like this… But, I suppose, it takes a certain mentality to live life the way Robert Cath did it, so it may very well come with the territory.
I was also strangely upset we never got to see anything about the chick that dropped him off. I know it’s a minor role, but I hoped there would be more.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Veovis - 20 July 2020 06:34 AM
millenia - 20 July 2020 02:42 AM

Heart

Worked well on PC with a gamepad. The problem was not moving/positioning the character, but the very restricted camera. I played the somewhat buggy unpatched game. Liked it!

For PC keyboard/mouse users I’m going to have to say BOTH. Considering how much you have to manually move said restricted camera along with moving Blacksad it becomes a pain in the ass really quickly. It took me awhile to even realize that F1 and F2 are active keys in the game (and since you can’t re-bind them I had to always remember to block the F function - why would anyone come up with that is beyond me). “W” for cat senses while is also walking forward, why? And this is the first time I’ve ever experienced QTE sequences that are this bad (granted, I’m not a fan of those to begin with, but that one sequence involving a “tray right after cherry pie” scene I had to replay at least 30 times. I don’t have dexterity problems, and it seems to be a common complain from lots of PC players.
I agree, restricted camera movement is absolutely terrible, but reg keyboard/mouse controls are definitely godawful.

The game is “recommended” to be played with a controller (what they should have said is that any other way will leave you with clumps of hair in your hands from frustration), but I can’t speak on that. It seems that the general feedback is a lot more positive when playing that way (including this very thread). I’d say look into some more forum topics before committing (there’s a Microids sale going on on Steam by the way and this $40 game is now $16 which is as low as I’ve ever seen it). With that being said, the story is a really good dirty, grimy noir tale with well-developed characters, the visuals are stunning and there’s really good voice work, so after all said and done I ended up with a positive impression and slight nervous twitch from QTE horror.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I just finished In Other Waters. Due to the fact that majority of reviews are very positive (including an “Excellent” rating here, on AG) I’m more of a black sheep with this opinion, but I did not enjoy it. The gameplay is very monotonous and repetitive (you clicking on a few buttons to send the pilot to little dots on a sort of simplistic topographical map, then you click a few buttons to collect samples, the you click a few buttons to analyze them etc.). It’s mostly interacting with UI for the entirety of the game with little variety. With this premise the story should have been absolutely captivating but it just wasn’t - all told in monologues to which you can only respond with… Yeah, a click of a button for yes/no it was lacking suspense to be truly enthralling (or at the very least entertaining) through such a tedious gameplay. I also read a lot of sci-fi, so maybe that was partially why I wasn’t “grabbed by the atmosphere” here. It’s a very elegant looking adventure, but it ended up being rather dull despite the story turning a bit more dramatic towards the end. It was on of those “I just don’t get it” games for me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just finished Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum.
The game kept what worked in the first game and tossed most of the things that didn’t. No flight sim, no platform shootouts, no money management, but again an intricate story that starts with a few clues, and talking to people and finding things leads to more clues to research. Had the first game followed this same formula, I wouldn’t have been so harsh on its rating.
Alas, the second game still falls victim to the ails of its time, and contains a LOT more deaths and dead ends than the first game did. Or I ran into more of them at least. Despite keeping a walkthrough close by to avoid dead ends, I still had to replay a sizeable chunk of the game because of a hotspot I missed that prevented me from initiating the endgame. Ironically, the object I had missed (despite explicitly clicking several times in the hotspot’s general vicinity), was called “the Martian memorandum”. Quite a crucial one, that. Grin
There were a couple of sections (a stepstone “maze”, and a laser grid in particular) that were very brutal to navigate, and I must have gotten Tex killed a few hundred times. I also noticed a lot of spelling mistakes throughout.
But the story was good (better than the first game even), and it was a massive step up from the first game by getting rid of the tedious non-adventure-y parts… Tongue

Tex Murphy: Martian Memorandum - 3/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Never played a Tex Murphy game, but I own them all on steam. Which ones are must-plays? I am a mystery-buff.
So from that angle, which ones spin a worthy tale?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Origami - 26 July 2020 04:11 AM

Never played a Tex Murphy game, but I own them all on steam. Which ones are must-plays? I am a mystery-buff.

You’re asking the wrong guy. This is my first time playing them, and my OCD makes me go through them in order, so I’ve only done the two “skippable” pre-FMV ones.
It seems that Under a Killing Moon and especially Pandora Directive are where it’s at, if the general opinion is to be believed. Which means I have something to look forward to. Grin

Martian Memorandum has one brilliant meta-joke early on. One of the hotspots in a shop is titled “What?” and has as description “I don’t know what this is. You should ask our art director Douglas Vandegrift.”
Douglas Vandegrift being the actual art director for the development team. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

TimovieMan - 26 July 2020 06:39 AM

You’re asking the wrong guy. This is my first time playing them, and my OCD makes me go through them in order, so I’ve only done the two “skippable” pre-FMV ones.
It seems that Under a Killing Moon and especially Pandora Directive are where it’s at, if the general opinion is to be believed. Which means I have something to look forward to. Grin

Personally I’d skip the first two, OCD not withstanding Smile , and then play all the FMV in order therefore starting with Under A Killing Moon. This one, and then Pandora, showed exactly what could be done with FMV which, sadly, wasn’t copied elsewhere by other developers. Also, since you’re a mystery buff, you’ll enjoy them for that reason as well - fancy visiting Roswell? Plus, they’re great games in their own right. Not perfect, what game is, but very enjoyable and, notably in Pandora, quite long games.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve played all Tex games apart from the latest. My favorite is Under a Killing Moon, with The Pandora Directive as a close second. Be prepared for a not very user friendly interface though, although it doesn’t take too long to get used to it. And it’s definitely worth it.

I suffer from the same kind of OCD as TimovieMan, so I’ve also played Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum. Mean Streets was borderline unplayable, with its flying sim and arcade elements. Got through it with the help of a walkthrough. It has some great scenes though. The story is retold in Overseer, which is a much better game (although far from perfect). I feel more or less like TimovieMan about Martian Memorandum. There is a pretty great game there somewhere, under some really bad design choices. I remember walking into a dead end in more or less the first conversation I had in the game, without the game bothering to tell me I had given the wrong response to a question. A remake would be great. The story is very good.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top