• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Celebreon - 07 July 2020 02:32 AM

So now that I’ve beat the QFG series, I’m debating between starting three games that are supposedly similar:

Quest for infamy
Heroine’s Quest
Hero-U

You forgot Mage’s Initiation: Reign of the Elements. I’m not recommending it over the others, but it was missing from your list.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Heroine’s Quest, man.. very solid and classic than the one from the Gods of that sub-genre (The Cole’s)

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Heroine’s Quest is really the closets to the series and an amazing game on its own. The world of Nordic legends is unique, there are many places to visit and quests to solve, humour is subtle and gameplay is polished - unlike in Quest for Infamy which feels very amateurish and rude in comparison. Hero-U is kinda claustrophobic as the characters are basically locked in a university and have to follow their daily tasks and routines, with only some adventuring in-between. I got quickly tired of that game and never finished it despite it was made by the Coles. I wish they joined forces with Crystal Shard instead, their dedication to Sierra is something (before Heroine’s Quest they made A Tale of Two Kingdoms, another freeware adventure inspired by King’s Quest games, also very solid).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I really don’t feel there is anything like QFG. Like Doom said, Hero U got extremely tiresome with its tedious combat and samey environments. The other “Quest” games by other developers don’t have the varied environments, humor or extremely open gameplay of QFG.

That said, I should really try Heroine’s Quest.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh you can’t pick wrong. All 3 are very good. The voice acting in heroines quest is done by a volunteer internet auditioned cast, and as such it is… All over the place, some very good voices, some not so much. But it’s an amazing game all in all. QFI will give you a good qfg4 vibe.. and it’s just implemented well. Hero u is heavily rooted in time sim and rpg elements, and as such it consumes a larger amount of time. But the sprinkles of events and class dialogues and sense of freedom in trying to find things in time.. really executed really well for me. Voice acting wouldv been nice, but it is a big game. You should play all 3.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

GateKeeper - 07 July 2020 03:22 AM

You forgot Mage’s Initiation: Reign of the Elements. I’m not recommending it over the others, but it was missing from your list.

I already have bought Mage initiation when it was on sale per recommendations from here, but I assumed it was going to be more like chains of satinav or memoria.  Well now I know.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

Here are some less obscure games I’ve played this week:

Angelo & Deemon: One Hell of a Quest (Specialbit Studio) (2019) (WIN)

I wanted to like this game but just couldn’t. It was just too tedious. The only reason I even finished it was because I looked up a play-through of the game after deciding to quit playing and saw I only had about 10-15 minutes left, so I went back and forced my way to the end. Seeing how disappointing the end was, I probably shouldn’t have bothered.

Voyeur 2: Watching Is Not Enough (InterWeave Entertainment) (1996) (DOS)

Voyeur 2 is just a cheesy semi-adult FMV game that for some reason I never bothered to play until now. I rarely ever truly dislike these because they tend to be too short for me get annoyed at. The game is only about 10 minutes long. Sure, you have to play it a bunch of times to get the real ending, but it’s not that hard. It also helps that my expectations are always so low that I can’t ever be disappointed. It also has boobs, which have the magical power of making just about anything more enjoyable.

Late Shift (CtrlMovie) (2017) (WIN)

This is another interactive movie, but a much more polished and modern version of one. You play a parking lot attendant who is forced to participate in the theft of an antique from an auction house. I’ve only played through twice so far and things went radically different on the second play. Like all interactive movies the gameplay is minimal but the movie itself isn’t bad. I may play through it at least one more time to see what else can happen.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

D - 08 July 2020 04:45 PM

Late Shift (CtrlMovie) (2017) (WIN)

This is another interactive movie, but a much more polished and modern version of one. You play a parking lot attendant who is forced to participate in the theft of an antique from an auction house. I’ve only played through twice so far and things went radically different on the second play. Like all interactive movies the gameplay is minimal but the movie itself isn’t bad. I may play through it at least one more time to see what else can happen.

You may want to read a walkthrough before doing that. It is possible to unlock all achievements and film clips with only two playthroughs, although as there is no save option in the game, you need to quit the game in certain spots to take advantage of the game autosave. It’s quite doable though, I have tried.

If you simply want to see all endings, you can check for instance my bare-bones walkthrough to find the correct paths. If you want to unlock everything with as few playthroughs as possible, there is a guide for that on Steam forums.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Yet Another Hero Story” - An OK indie-adventuregame. Pretty simple in regard to graphics, sound, story and gameplay, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
Got it off Steam for 3€ and it kept me entertained for a couple of hours, so money well spent imo.
I will give it 5/10.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Just to give my 0.2 cents, Heroine’s Quest is really a solid RPG/adventure hybrid. Iffy voice acting aside, I’d say it is easily among the better games in the genre and well worth a play for anyone who likes Quest for Glory series.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 09 July 2020 02:00 AM

You may want to read a walkthrough before doing that. It is possible to unlock all achievements and film clips with only two playthroughs, although as there is no save option in the game, you need to quit the game in certain spots to take advantage of the game autosave. It’s quite doable though, I have tried.

If you simply want to see all endings, you can check for instance my bare-bones walkthrough to find the correct paths. If you want to unlock everything with as few playthroughs as possible, there is a guide for that on Steam forums.

Thanks a lot for the links. They’ll definitely be useful to me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I finished Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.

It took a while, but it finally started growing on me, once we were around the 4th trial and WELL over halfway through the game. Its start left me less impressed, and a lot of those criticisms remained to the end, but there is something there that slowly draws you in. Too bad that before that happens, the game is pretty much a struggle to continue. It’s like they made a 10-hour game, and designed it so it would take you 30+ hours to play. So what criticism remains? Well, there are too many characters at the start, they’re all very one-dimensional and needlessly over-the-top, the “free time” segments feel like pure filler, the minigame-style trials are more annoying than fun (and keep getting new elements added, even at the endgame), there’s too much hand-holding during the investigations, and by the time you’re at the trial, you’ll have pieced most of it together yourself but are still forced to sit through an hour of convincing some very obtuse and dull-witted students of something that should have been obvious to anyone with even remotely working eyesight. So yeah, the game is *very* uneven. Not to mention that the trials consist of so many different minigames, and that there’s so much time in-between the trials that you’ll have forgotten how they work by the next time you encounter them again. This game definitely has its issues.
But there is something there. Be it the dark matter of forcing students to murder each other and try to get away with it, or the whole reason for the game’s setup, on a lot of levels the game still works…

By the end, once the game *finally* draws you in, the “filler” segments suddenly become much-needed glimpses of depth in what would otherwise be very cardboard-thin characters.
And then the game goes overboard by adding a post-game “school mode” which pretty much focuses on these “filler” moments and adds a whole new set of them on top, while also juggling a resource-sim of sorts.
I’ve played through this mode twice, because I’m a completionist player, but to fully unlock everything the game has to offer, I’d have to play that mode 4-5 times more. I may be a completionist, but I’m not a masochist.

This game has its good moments. But it also has a whole lot of issues…
But at least it’s intrigued me enough to play the other games in the series too. But I’ll probably be taking a pretty LONG break before starting Danganronpa 2.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 3/5

While slugging through the duller parts of Danganronpa, I also played Simon the Sorcerer again as a distraction.
I’ve played it twice before, once in the mid-90s and once about a decade ago. I noticed my rating here on the site was 4.5/5. I’ve decided to knock half a point off this time around. The game is still great, and it’s definitely still funny, but the contrast between the wide open first 2/3rds of the game and the sequences of small locations near the endgame is pretty glaring. Not to mention the fact that the game doesn’t have a rewarding or satisfactory ending - just a joking plug for the sequel.
But still - I had a lot of fun playing this again.

Simon the Sorcerer - 4/5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am glad you were able to finish the game and the ending made the game a little better for you. I like these games because they are similar to Persona 4 Golden, a JRPG. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but to fans of these games like me, Dangaronpa is quite fun. I play adventure game for the story and for me, Dangaronpa’s was one of the strangest I’ve ever played.

The 2nd Dangaronpa is considered the best of the series, so I hope you find it interesting as well. They did find a way to make that story just as strange, so I really enjoyed it as well.

One point to point out. These games were originally released on handheld systems and they were a blast to play on those at the time of release.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Personally Danganronpa 2 is my least favorite. But I know my opinion on these games tends to run opposite of many people.. I thought the first phoenix wright was the best in the series.. the third phoenix wright was rediculous to me. DR1 & DR3 are my favorites. Perhaps part of my problem with 2 was there was a bit of a red herring with a major reveal that I wanted to be true.. and I thought the actual reveal was much less interesting. (Though there are certainly very whacky interesting things about 2.. it’s just one major character issue that I wish was different) The third games reveal though…. I loved it.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am referring to the Metacritic scores:

Dangaronpa 1 - 82

Dangaronpa 2 - 83

Dangaronpa 3 - 80

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top