• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I had seen this YT review, but the person didn’t sound like they played many adventure games, so I was looking for another perspective.

But the impressions from the FB group sound concerning though the game might play better with keyboard and mouse / gamepad.

In any case I am definitely waiting for a proper Adventure Gamers review before buying, because it sounds like there might be some deal breakers.  It’s too bad, because I replayed the original BASS earlier this year in preparation and that game still holds up extremely well.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TheLongestJourney - 30 June 2020 10:37 AM

I had seen this YT review, but the person didn’t sound like they played many adventure games, so I was looking for another perspective.

But the impressions from the FB group sound concerning though the game might play better with keyboard and mouse / gamepad.

In any case I am definitely waiting for a proper Adventure Gamers review before buying, because it sounds like there might be some deal breakers.  It’s too bad, because I replayed the original BASS earlier this year in preparation and that game still holds up extremely well.

As far as the control that’s what they said they didn’t like the way it controller on an iPad or phone but they think it would control a lot better with a mouse and keyboard. it might be great who really knows so far

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yes, I’ve read as well that some people aren’t impressed by the touchscreen controls, so I’m not jumping on doom and gloom yet.

But, what comes in the lack of impressions, perhaps Apple Arcade hasn’t found that many gamers to begin with. Empty platforms rarely stem impressions.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2003-12-03

PM

I’m playing it right now. Probably around third of the way or something like that. I liked the first BASS, but I haven’t played it in ages. I wouldn’t call it spectacular, but I am enjoying it quite a lot so far. Controls are OK (mouse and keyboard), puzzles are good, but quite easy at least so far. Characters are interesting and the story does keep you wanting to find out more and keep going. There’s a bit of humor/silliness (If I remember, the first BASS had a similar vibe) despite a serious subject matter. Art Direction maybe not my absoulte favourite, but it’s definitely not bad.

I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone. Oh, it’s also quite buggy. I encountered two bugs where character would get stuck, I couldn’t progress and had to reload an earlier save, there’s also tons of clipping, characters floating, bad pathfinding etc. They really need to polish it before wider release.

And music and voice acting are actually pretty great IMHO.

That’s about it, I’m excited to see where it goes and how it ends.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Apple Arcade is NOT a good deal to me. You pay 5 dollars a month to have access to a relatively small collection of games. If you quit, you loose the games.

What Apple is trying to do is get people like me to do Apple Arcade by making games exclusive to the service. I will always buy my games because I will go back years later and replay them.

I have already complained to Apple about this. Nothing would please me more than to have the service fail.

This and a couple of other games would have been day one purchases for me. Now I may never get to play them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 30 June 2020 03:19 PM

This and a couple of other games would have been day one purchases for me. Now I may never get to play them.

Heart

Don’t worry, Beyond should come to Steam in July. I think there might be some truth in the comment I read recently, the only reason Apple wants first release titles in their Arcade is to ensure they won’t come out on Android. The other is keeping customers married with Apple systems, obviously.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m not strictly against AA’s 5 eur a month “play what you want” deal, as I’m rarely replaying games nowadays. My problem is, there’re very few games on AA that interest me at all. Lots of casual time wasters and very few titles with some actual substance. Most of good ones are payed titles anyway. Which is just ok, I guess.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Revolution Software revealed in their YouTube stream that the Steam release is on the 16th of July.

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

TheLongestJourney - 30 June 2020 01:18 AM

Any impressions yet? I can’t find a single review so far. It seems strange for such a “high profile” game.

Here’s another one: https://wccftech.com/review/beyond-a-steel-sky-apple-arcade-beyond-other-adventure-games/

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2003-12-03

PM

I just finished it. IMO it’s a worthy sequel. It’s probably not gonna blow anyone’s mind, but I did enjoy my time with it. Whatever my thoughts about the story, I think it has its heart in the right place.

I wish it had larger areas to explore and more/better puzzles. Contrary to the review posted, I found all the puzzles super easy or obvious or both.  Smile

Hope they fix the bugs before it’s released on Steam, else I’m afraid it’s gonna get panned, which would be a shame.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished it. IMO it’s a worthy sequel. It’s probably not gonna blow anyone’s mind, but I did enjoy my time with it. Whatever my thoughts about the story, I think it has its heart in the right place.

I wish it had larger areas to explore and more/better puzzles. Contrary to the review posted, I found all the puzzles super easy or obvious or both.  Smile

Hope they fix the bugs before it’s released on Steam, else I’m afraid it’s gonna get panned, which would be a shame.

Fixing the bugs may take time, I’d have to pray they get them fixed by the time they do the steam release or patch it soon afterwards. Sounds like a great game - can’t wait to play it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Characters texture&lighting; looks so right.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Based on the footage we’ve seen so far I expect the PC version to be more stable than the Apple Arcade release. Good to know the core of the game itself seems well put together.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

anyone knows if the ipad version is a downscaled or modified version of upcoming pc version? (apart from controls which of course is)

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Found a review on some obscure site: https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/beyond-a-steel-sky

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top