• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

I just played through Four Last Things. Most people here have probably already played it, but if you haven’t, I really recommend that you do.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Death Come True, the new FMV Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game by Kodaka (Danganronpa). I don’t think it’s a bad game per se, but the limited scope of the project doesn’t help the story much: a lot of the story and characters just feel underdeveloped, with few branching points and too many events that are explained in the FMVs themselves, instead of letting the player think for themselves. The tagline for this game was “Is this a movie? Or a game?” but ultimately, you feel like it might as well have been a movie instead of a game if it’s just barely going to make use of the CYOA format.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

I’ve been really sick for the last week and couldn’t really play anything for very long so I played some really short games.

Hospital 46 (Jo99) (2011)

In this game you are an inmate in a mental institution and your goal is, quite simply, to escape. I liked the bizarre art style. I didn’t pay attention to the time, but I don’t think it could take more than a half hour to finish. It’s decent for what it is.

It can played in a browser if you have the flash plugin installed here:

http://www.jo99.fr/article-hospital-46-80113660.html

Gatuno in Halloween (Féderico Rutenberg) (2008)

This is another freeware Flash game. The entire game takes place in two rooms. The story is that your cat has been turned to stone and you have to find the ingredients necessary to make a potion that can revive them. I don’t recommend this one.

Putlestory: Web Picture Book (Mangosteen) (2005)
This is a companion picture book to the original 1996 video game. You simply click through the game’s story and look at the pencil drawings that accompany it. It isn’t a game, but unlike the original game, it has an English translation. It might be helpful for someone who wants to play the original game and can’t read Japanese. You could at least get some ridiculously vague idea of what is going on then, but I doubt it.

It can played in a browser if you have the flash plugin installed here:

https://www.studio-mangosteen.com/putlestory-web

The Case of the Cautious Condor (Tiger Media) (1989)

This game’s claim to fame is that it’s the first CD-ROM adventure game; as in, released only on CD-ROM and made expressly for that format. (The Manhole was a floppy game that was ported to CD-ROM). It’s original release was for the FM Towns platform, with later releases for CDTV and DOS.

You play a detective who has 30 minutes to solve a murder before the plane you are on lands and all the suspects get away. The trick is that the murder didn’t happen on the plane, so your investigation relies almost entirely on information gleaned from interacting with and/or eavesdropping on the other guests.

The game is, as you may have guessed, timed, and the clock doesn’t stop. The characters will move around the plane and it is up to you to figure out where the action is by watching from the game’s map screen and clicking on the various rooms.

Obviously, there is no way for you to know when someone is going to say something important so gameplay is mostly just trial and error. The exceptions to this are that you can accuse someone of the crime to possibly scare them into giving you more information or search rooms, the latter of which can, in one case, result in your death.

I would have just quit playing this game due to the lack of agency it gives you and what I could see was a lot of repetition to finish it, but then I discovered the developers were nice enough to allow you to skip the cutscenes (something we still don’t always get today!!!), which is basically all the game is, making playthroughs as little as 10 minutes or less, rather than the full half hour. This made it bearable and I eventually figured it out and finished it.

The graphics are of a comic book art style and look pretty good. There isn’t any animation to speak of though, just still screens. The sound is, of course, a huge step up from pre-CD-ROM games and while the voice acting varies, it was overall pretty decent. The most important character, of course, is your own and the voice actor was pretty good. In fact, I’ve heard his voice before and it is killing me that I can’t quite remember from where. He is credited as Michael Dean, which unfortunately is too common a name to have much luck doing a quick search for. If anyone knows who he is, please let me know.

Also, the developers made another game in the same style as this called Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows a couple years later.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Death Come True, the new FMV Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game by Kodaka (Danganronpa). I don’t think it’s a bad game per se, but the limited scope of the project doesn’t help the story much: a lot of the story and characters just feels underdeveloped, with few branching points and too much events that are explained in the FMVs themselves, instead of letting the player think for themselves. The tagline for this game was “Is this a movie? Or a game?” but ultimately, you feel like it might as well have been a movie instead of a game if it’s just barely going to make use of the CYOA format.

Yea, I bought this game too. It’s very short for the price. It’s at best OK. I would expect more from this team based on the work done with Dangaronpa. There are better FMV games out there.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 22 June 2020 04:14 PM

After Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc completely wrecked my will to play games over a year ago, it took me quite a while to get back into it.

Disco Elysium is what finally drew me back in. It’s absolutely fantastic with exceptional writing, and it feels as fresh as Return of the Obra Dinn did last year. Which probably means we won’t be seeing anything like it ever again. Tongue
I mostly played as a highly intelligent but boring sorry-cop, as that felt most natural to my playing style. And it’s amazing that failing checks often yields funnier results than actually passing them does. My kind of game, even though the ending didn’t *fully* satisfy me…
Disco Elysium - 4.5/5

So when i was starting out and i made the decision to play with intelligence as my weakest area i thought “is this really a good idea.. am i going to feel like a bad detective, not able to do what i want…” little did i know how well it would fit. Theres just so many different skill checks and ways to approach things.

In other news…. I just finished virtuaverse. This game was… long! Even though i spent half as many hours with it than disco elysium…. for a classic point&click; 20 hours is…. long. The story is kind of silly and all over the place… but its tenaciously charming. I cant count how many times i finished a task and expected to move on from the segment and there was always “but wait theres more!” I also really appreciated the multi-tasking style of puzzles. The game certainly does not hold your hand in telling you what to do.. you must explore. The logic in puzzles is not always perfect.. its like classic games in many ways, including that solutions are extremely convoluted and questionable… thats part of the classic magic… Going in i knew in some ways it wasnt fair to this game that it was the first thing i was playing after disco elysium… but virtuaverse was a really heavy point&click; experience that holds its own.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

D - 25 June 2020 08:27 PM

The Case of the Cautious Condor (Tiger Media) (1989)

This game’s claim to fame is that it’s the first CD-ROM adventure game; as in, released only on CD-ROM and made expressly for that format. (The Manhole was a floppy game that was ported to CD-ROM). It’s original release was for the FM Towns platform, with later releases for CDTV and DOS.

You play a detective who has 30 minutes to solve a murder before the plane you are on lands and all the suspects get away. The trick is that the murder didn’t happen on the plane, so your investigation relies almost entirely on information gleaned from interacting with and/or eavesdropping on the other guests.

The game is, as you may have guessed, timed, and the clock doesn’t stop. The characters will move around the plane and it is up to you to figure out where the action is by watching from the game’s map screen and clicking on the various rooms.

Obviously, there is no way for you to know when someone is going to say something important so gameplay is mostly just trial and error. The exceptions to this are that you can accuse someone of the crime to possibly scare them into giving you more information or search rooms, the latter of which can, in one case, result in your death.

“Airwave Adventure” on the cover says it all: It’s actually more of an interactive radio play with pics than a graphical adventure. Just like a text adventure with pics doesn’t become a graphical adventure. With only a few adaptations it would be perfect for blind people.

I played it many years ago and enjoyed my role as a detective. Don’t know if I’d still like it as much today, the characters were stereotypes (and the voiceacting was also a bit over the top imo), but it was certainly different from the usual game fare.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

VirtuaVerse - A really nice retro-styled “cyberpunk” point-and-click game. Really liked the graphics and music. Most of the puzzles were logical and fun, and some nice humor refering back to present time. I would recommend it. 4/5.

Broken Sword 5: Finally finished this after playing it on and off for about 6 months. Like the previous games in the series i enjoyed this. Really nice graphics, OK story and gameplay. 3/5.

Trumgottist - 25 June 2020 02:52 AM

I just played through Four Last Things. Most people here have probably already played it, but if you haven’t, I really recommend that you do.

This will be my new adventure game, starting tomorrow I think. Smile

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Guybrush82 - 28 June 2020 03:26 PM

Broken Sword 5: Finally finished this after playing it on and off for about 6 months. Like the previous games in the series i enjoyed this. Really nice graphics, OK story and gameplay. 3/5.

I’m curious for you, but everyone really,
I just got Broken sword 5 on switch.  Is it important to play them in order, or do they pretty much stand alone?  It looks like George and Nico will maybe be in this one too so… I feel like I should play them in order?
I beat The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav today, and I love this game.  I know a lot of people don’t. I remember seeing a preview for it many years ago, and I couldn’t get it to run for some reason.  I was so excited to have a PnC with magic powers, although they are admittedly pretty lame.

The perilous scenes are awesome, and the ability to turn on or off certain hints can help cater the experience you want.

I had to check for a hint once or twice in the whole game, and other wise it was pretty easy.  But that one place I was stuck in Neirutvena, I would come play it every night, and try everything, and it went on for a couple weeks before I caved.  I guess the logic isn’t TOO bad, but the game gives some misleading feedback, and

I wish the animation was slightly more consistent though.

Sometimes it looks like 2d flash animation, and then some times it looks like 3d rendered models compressed to 2d images, and then there’s some hand drawn/painted stuff, and then sometimes the whole screen becomes FMV with grainy resolution and all.  It’s just all over the place.

Also I beat skyrim.

It’s not an AG, but I just didn’t want to post in the sub forum…

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Celebreon - 29 June 2020 12:14 AM

I’m curious for you, but everyone really,
I just got Broken sword 5 on switch.  Is it important to play them in order, or do they pretty much stand alone?  It looks like George and Nico will maybe be in this one too so… I feel like I should play them in order?

I’ve only played 1, 2 and 5. Skipped 3 and 4 since i really dont like the 3D-graphics.
I think they work well as stand-alone games, even though they sometimes make small references to previous games. If you have the opportunity I would recommend starting with BS1, as it sets the “foundation” for the rest of the series.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve recently replayed the whole BS series. I’d definitely recommend playing them in order and, like Guybrush82 says, especially playing BS1 before any of the rest. It gives the player much of the background that the rest of the series builds on, especially the George/Nico dynamic. I’d recommend playing all of them, even though the last two are quite a lot weaker than the first three. My favorites are 1 & 3 and those have a pretty clear connection story wise too.

By the way, can anyone explain why Nico shows up a few hours into BS4? She suddenly appears in the game dressed as a nun, helping George escape prison in Turkey. How the hell did she know George needed help and how did she manage, obviously in no time, to arrange that nun thing?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Veovis - 30 June 2020 05:13 AM

By the way, can anyone explain why Nico shows up a few hours into BS4? She suddenly appears in the game dressed as a nun, helping George escape prison in Turkey. How the hell did she know George needed help and how did she manage, obviously in no time, to arrange that nun thing?

Sure, it’s because fans want to see Nico in Broken Sword games. I think BS4 is the second best game in the series just because there’s very little Nico in it. I would have preferred if they had gotten totally rid of her, the entire game dynamics changed for the worse when she became an active character.

And how many times have we seen that George and Nico meet by some random chance which by the fifth time is no longer credible or entertaining.

Then again, I kind of feel the same way about LeChuck in Monkey Island games, so maybe it’s just my own problem.

And not that anyone particularly cares, here’s my ranking of Broken Sword games:

1. BS1
2. BS4
3. BS2
4. BS5
5. BS3
6. BS2 RE
7. BS1 DC

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

GateKeeper - 30 June 2020 06:03 AM

I think BS4 is the second best game in the series just because there’s very little Nico in it.

Well, why not the best? For BS1 your Nicometer should be off the scale!  Tongue

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

GateKeeper - 30 June 2020 06:03 AM

And how many times have we seen that George and Nico meet by some random chance which by the fifth time is no longer credible or entertaining.

At least in the other games Revolution try to explain the logic behind why they meet, even if it is only by chance (Nico has reason to show up at the site of the murder George has just witnessed in BS1, they are initially investigating different angles of the same conspiracy in BS3, Nico the journalist covers an exhibition that George has his own reason to visit in BS5). I can easily buy all of those chance meetings. If it’s supposed to be a random chance meeting in BS4 it’s just absurd and one of the worst pieces of writing in gaming history.Smile Nothing makes sense about that meeting. Or does it?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-06-28

PM

Black Mirror (2003). I enjoyed it and honestly, it has inspired me to search for more grim sombre adventure games.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 22 June 2020 04:14 PM

As Ethan, I completed all but one of the trials (I’m not a killer) ... as Scott I pulled a John Wick on the mob boss’s mansion.

Uh… I thought you said you weren’t a killer.  Unless you only meant that when you’re roleplaying Ethan. 

When I played through Heavy Rain I think I got at least 2 of the main characters killed in my playthrough.  Which in a way, is even more impressive to me when a game lets you do that and still finish (instead of giving you a Game Over screen).  Overall I thought the story was pretty week, but the general mood and execution was great.  I think Fahrenheit (a.k.a. Indigo Prophecy) is still my favorite David Cage game, followed closely by Beyond: Two Souls.  He’s at his best when making insane over-the-top sci-fi nonsense, but I don’t think he does realistic drama very well (see my thoughts on why I absolutely hate Detroit: Become Human).  My only thoughts when I tried to play Omikron: The Nomad Soul were “What the hell is this?” and “Damn, I’ve gotta get that David Bowie CD…”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top