• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04KeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #60 - The Silent Age

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2020-06-12

PM

I’m working on Joe Smith’s cameo in The Research Age. Maybe some of you would like to see the overall quality of him. There will be no spoiler. It will not appear there and it won’t say that. The goal of the video is another, that’s a long story. You can see it and comment it also on the game’s Facebook Page. See you soon!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s so cool, thanks for sharing the video, it’s great to actually see Joe make an appearance in your game.

It seems like that if you liked The Silent Age, you’ll like your game too.

I actually prefer short game CPTs, we can do the whole CPT in three weeks, which is wonderful. I have another game that is perfect for a short game CPT I will keep nominating.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Ok, finished Chapter 6.

That was definitely a gear up in terms of puzzles, and in terms of the game generally. I thought that the crocodile puzzle in chapter 6 was pretty silly but then the game redeemed itself by letting me chainsaw down the front door!

I like the idea of the electrocute the swimming pool part a bit before that, but I wasn’t really sure why I was doing it because I couldn’t really believe I was going to distract a crocodile from eating me by giving it one fish but otherwise I’m interested to find out whether there is a reason for the outside of the house being set up so strangely, or if it’s just *because puzzles*.

I think the whole getting into the hospital part has been my favourite part puzzle wise so far. Good use of time travel related environmental changes I thought.

I do think that the main character is ‘a bit thin’ in that he seems to have very little personality beyond being a simple and unoffensive guy. There doesn’t seem to be anything about him that ties him to ‘the present’ we started the game in which means I sort of don’t care that much whether he gets back to it or not. No friends, loved ones or even favourite pass times we know about to anchor him to anything. He just seems to blow along in the breeze. Or maybe I just wasn’t paying attention!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished chapter 6, too.  The house protection system was a bit of light relief from the gruesomeness of the previous chapters, but I did feel sad about poor Nemo.

I did enjoy the time travel puzzles, although I switched so many times that I was afraid the device would die on me.  The only part I couldn’t figure out for a while was what to do with the battery.  It was one of those duh moments when I realized the obvious connection.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve also got to the end of Chapter 6. (Thanks MikeKelly for the go-ahead btw )

I agree that the puzzling to access the hospital was pretty good.
The one thing that did annoy me was why couldn’t I move the dumpster covering the manhole in the present day? 

About Joe

millenia - 20 June 2020 11:15 AM

Joe’s reactions towards the medical items didn’t really paint a picture of an intelligent person, but the interlude between ch5 and 6 had him voicing out pretty thoughtful questions.

Intense Degree - 22 June 2020 06:16 AM

I do think that the main character is ‘a bit thin’ in that he seems to have very little personality beyond being a simple and unoffensive guy…...

I don’t disagree with any of those observations at all. For me Joe already in the first few chapters had been portrayed as a low achiever due to his lack of confidence & social awkwardness but I wouldn’t equate that to a lack of intelligence. Due to circumstance he’s in the frame for murder & is having to buck up & go along with the flow.
It would be good to know more about him but so far he’s just seems to be the ‘tool’ to progress the game.

I didn’t mind the last chapter - an alligator was warned against as like beware of the dog. But I was expecting to lure the alligator to the electrified pool - I’m not sure how? With a widdly little fish - Nemo? Yes, that was the sad answer but not in the way I expected! - terrible puzzling! 
Laughing

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

chrissie - 22 June 2020 04:29 PM

I didn’t mind the last chapter - an alligator was warned against as like beware of the dog. But I was expecting to lure the alligator to the electrified pool - I’m not sure how? With a widdly little fish - Nemo? Yes, that was the sad answer but not in the way I expected! - terrible puzzling! 
Laughing

Ah man, that would have been a much better puzzle, I would have been all over electrocuting the crocodile! Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Yeah, I was disappointed too.  Laughing

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

electrocuting the crocodile

That would have been such fun! The way they did solve it kinda sucked.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m not sure that any of us should be getting any kind of pleasure out of the thought of electrocuting the alligator  Pan ... yes! I’m guilty! .....but it’s a game & seemed like the obvious thing at the time to get it out of the way - it would have been better if there had been some way of luring it back to the swamps.  Smile

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Well, yeah, I’ve been kind of raising my eyeberows here to your enthusiasm on killing the alligator, but I agree that it would have been a better puzzle. Now it seemed very silly to throw a little fish to the beast and then I guess it was just fine hanging around somewhere in the corner completely undisturbed while I turned a chainsaw on and attacked the door…

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m catching up with everyone - finished chapters 3-6. Glad the time traveling device was finally introduced, it surely made the game more fun to play (well, up until chapter 6). I wouldn’t call puzzles great or inventive, none of them has the same grand “world changing” scale or feel like Day of the Tentacle, but they certainly keep you glued to the screen. I agree that best of them involve changing something in the past to influence the present. In that regards chapters 3 and 5 were probably my favourite.

While I still find the game very easy and rarely stop to think about my next step, I use opportunities to play with the environment. There are some nice little touches, like when you use a carpet on the hospital roof Joe says something like “Unfortunately it’s not a magic carpet”. And when Joe finds a broom head he treats it almost like a friend (Broomy) Grin Of course, he gets rid of it as soon as he finds a use for it, like with every other item, and I’m not a big fan of such simplistic puzzle design.

The game really shows its mobile roots. This also goes for occasional minimalistic glimpses of story - which is not a bad way to tell the story, there’s just not much of it. It was kinda ironic to hear about all the crazy things going on in the world of 1972, including flu pandemic. Alas there are only hints to it. Potentially the game could’ve shown crowds of people protesting, breaking into the police station, dying in the hospital and going nuts about all sort of stuff (like it happens right now around the globe), but there are very few characters and we can’t even talk to any of them which limits the experience to observing things.

The 6th chapter tried to rely solely on classic inventory puzzles and failed at it, breaking the more-or-less serious tone with cartoon obstacles and no story to speak of. Shame, I hope the last chapters will steam up the gameplay and introduce more creative puzzles, storylines, maybe even characters.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I like Chrissie’s idea of using the fish to lure the crocodile back to the swamp! Much more believable. And we end up with a live crocodile. Maybe even a live fish if we had just trapped it instead of electrocuting it.

I agree that Chapter 6 wasn’t as satisfying as the others although I liked the island.

Playing the game a little slower than I could because I am enjoying some of the comments that are triggered when I use everything on everything regardless.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the game was released back then into two episodes; chapter one; 1-5 Chapters, and the 2nd from 6 to 10, the 2nd chapter as a whole was a letdown.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

On IOS anyway, the first half was free. I actually enjoyed both half’s pretty equally, the second half does have some interesting moments in it.

Anyway, it’s a fun little adventure game with some pretty interesting puzzles and the plot isn’t run of the mill by any means.

Heart

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 24 June 2020 10:16 PM

the game was released back then into two episodes; chapter one; 1-5 Chapters, and the 2nd from 6 to 10, the 2nd chapter as a whole was a letdown.

Interesting, I didn’t know that. But I’ll keep playing it as a one game, after all Broken Sword 5 was also broken into two parts, and I enjoyed them both. Although I don’t think I want to play through another game of this sort, I want some real adventure, not a casual walk in the park.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top