• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Controversial adventure game preferences and opinions?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-06-03

PM

Celebreon - 16 June 2020 01:15 PM

Monkan, I have kind of the opposite problem.  I don’t mind a big area to explore with multiple screens, provided they aren’t all empty.

My issue tends to be more with individually controlled characters.  And thimbleweed park would be a good example.  (Mr Gilbert gets a lot of criticism around here, but we love him and his games)  Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, and Thimbleweed Park all have characters that I need to control individually, and it’s just too much for me to keep up with! 

Contrast that against something like the unavowed, (different gilbert I think?) where you always have a group of characters to control, but because they all walk around together, you don’t constantly have to flip to other characters in other places, and figure out where you need them and how to get them there. 

MM, DOTT, TP all seem to be incredibly popular and well-received, but I honestly almost ignored them altogether once I realized how un-intuitive it is.

Yeah, completely agree each character is basically like having a whole other game area so for Thimbleweed park that was like multiplying the whole game area (which was massive anyway) by 5. How anyone completed that game without any hints has always baffled me. It must have involved some serious patience Smile

Not that I didn’t enjoy it, but I always begrudge using hints / a guide a bit and find as soon as I have used it once I go back to get more hints without as much resistance because I’ve already broken the seal so to speak.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

1. Gabriel Knight would kick George Stobbart’s ass in a fist fight. I have no idea if this is controversial, but I’m putting it out there.

2. Full Throttle is, by far, the worst LucasArts game of the 90s.

3. LSL4 is the best Leisure Suit Larry game.

4. Tex Murphy is a better character than Guybrush Threepwood.

5. An adventure game, no matter how well liked at the time of its release, can only be considered a “classic” if it meaningfully transcends generations. If kids 20 or more years later try it and as a whole don’t like it, it fails the test. If you disagree, you’re probably blinded by nostalgia.

6. Puzzles are more important for an adventure game than story.

7. Exploration is more important for an adventure game than story.

8. Art design is more important for an adventure game than story.

9. Music is more important for an adventure game than story.

10. All characters in adventure games should be objectified because they are, in fact, just objects. You are suffering from some level of psychosis if you think otherwise.

11. Logic puzzles are vastly superior to inventory puzzles.

12. Grace Nakimura would be a better mud wrestler than Kate Walker.

13. Sierra didn’t make a single good adventure game until the 1990s when they were dragged, kicking and screaming, into meeting the quality standards set by the rest of the industry.

14. If LeChuck were a dog, he’d be a Chihuahua.

15. Laverne is the best playable character in Day of the Tentacle.

16. Adventure games are best played on Tuesdays, preferably after eating cheeseburgers.

17. 1st person games are vastly superior to 3rd person games.

18. FMV is great, even if most of the games are not.

19. Video walkthroughs are an abomination. They are the worst possible format there is if you need a hint or are stuck in a game. Unless the game is completely linear, you’ll be exposed to massive spoilers and waste a ton of your time searching for what you are looking for (not to mention the bandwidth tragedy of the commons this creates through such waste), whereas with a text walkthrough you simply search for a key word, find what you want in a few seconds, and move on with your life.

20. Walking Simulators aren’t games (but I still enjoy some of them).

21. Adventure games need more nudity.

22. The characters in adventure games should always speak their native languages. To clarify, if a game takes place in Germany, the voice actors should be speaking German and translations should be limited to subtitles. Dubbing into other languages for localization in such a case is pure evil.

23. All true adventure gamers go commando under their kilts.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like your list, D!  However, I think adventure games are best played on days that end in “y,” and chocolate is preferable to cheeseburgers.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Anyone could whoop George Stobbart.  He even loses to a goat.

And Tex Murphy would be a better mud wrestler than Gabriel Knight and Kate Walker and April Ryan all put together.

EDIT: I have in fact been going commando since sometime in February, so I must be a true adventure gaming hero!

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

D - 16 June 2020 05:30 PM

Yes! I’ve been saying this forever (But why limit it to the 90s?)

13. Sierra didn’t make a single good adventure game until the 1990s when they were dragged, kicking and screaming, into meeting the quality standards set by the rest of the industry.

Gonna have to come to the defence of QFG here. I like SQ1-3 too.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

D is back! Hope you’ll stay a while and post about the games you’ve been playing.

1, 4, 5, 11, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19 - YES

2, 10, 17, 20, 23 - NO

No, that was The Boring Dig. 

5. An adventure game, no matter how well liked at the time of its release, can only be considered a “classic” if it meaningfully transcends generations. If kids 20 or more years later try it and as a whole don’t like it, it fails the test. If you disagree, you’re probably blinded by nostalgia.

I hope Gatekeeper is reading this. Tongue

19. Video walkthroughs are an abomination. They are the worst possible format there is if you need a hint or are stuck in a game. Unless the game is completely linear, you’ll be exposed to massive spoilers and waste a ton of your time searching for what you are looking for (not to mention the bandwidth tragedy of the commons this creates through such waste), whereas with a text walkthrough you simply search for a key word, find what you want in a few seconds, and move on with your life.

But they are great when you’re looking for quiz screenshots.

23. All true adventure gamers go commando under their kilts.

I knew about kilts and male genitalia, who doesn’t, I’m sure Scottish kilt wearers are paid by their Tourist Information Office. Even so I had to look up “go commando” and reading Celebreon’s post I now wish I hadn’t.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

1. Leisure Suit Larry is the best series from Sierra.

Good comedy is the most difficult genre to write, especially when it’s done in real, contemporary world.

2. Curse of Monkey Island has by far the weakest story in the series. It’s terrible waste for fantastic technical achievements to be wasted on such poor script.

3. Tex Murphy games are the most overrated adventure games in history of the genre.

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

4. Tex Murphy is a better character than Guybrush Threepwood.

Totally disagree.

Totally agree.
Tested this with my kid, for now, Secret of Monkey Island passed the test.
He is 6 yrs old just starts learning English, so I won’t pressure him yet with adventure games, but soon…

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

10. All characters in adventure games should be objectified because they are, in fact, just objects. You are suffering from some level of psychosis if you think otherwise.

Agree

Nah - LSL3, SQ3, Colonel Bequest, Hero Quest, KQIV were all great games

18. FMV is great, even if most of the games are not.

Agree

Agree, but you should never use walkthrough in the first place.

20. Walking Simulators aren’t games (but I still enjoy some of them).

Of course (for the part before brackets)

21. Adventure games need more nudity.

Yes, generally mainstream movies and games need way more nudity and less violence. Currently they are too artificial to be taken seriously.

22. The characters in adventure games should always speak their native languages. To clarify, if a game takes place in Germany, the voice actors should be speaking German and translations should be limited to subtitles. Dubbing into other languages for localization in such a case is pure evil.

Agree

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

13. Sierra didn’t make a single good adventure game

You should have stopped 13 right there Naughty

Now watch as Advie goes into an apoplectic meltdown Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The 2nd monkey island game to me is by far the weakest.

I generally agree that most sierra games are pretty bad besides gabriel knight. Some of the other few good ones that i have played are space quest 5, LsL7, qfg 1 and qfg 3 and ecoquest lol.

Oldschool games in general did multiple paths and multiple endings far better than newer games.

Full throttle is a great adventure game, just too short lol. I still listen to the soundtrack.

Story is more important than puzzles, otherwise just play a puzzle game or do a word search.

Wing commander 4 is the best fmv adventure game ever and it also happens to be a space combat sim

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2020 06:47 PM

Out of which? The first three? (Understandable, but controversial.) The four LucasArts games (really?) Or all of them, including Telltale’s games?

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Trumgottist - 17 June 2020 06:53 PM

Out of which? The first three? (Understandable, but controversial.) The four LucasArts games (really?) Or all of them, including Telltale’s games?

First 3, sorry didnt clarify. I think gilbert didnt understand what made his own original game good. I also hate thimbleweed/twin peaks park.

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Jdawg445 - 17 June 2020 06:56 PM

First 3, sorry didnt clarify. I think gilbert didnt understand what made his own original game good. I also hate thimbleweed weed/twin peaks park.

I, on the contrary, think that it was “one in a million” hit for a sequel to outperform already perfect original (Emprie Stirkes Back and Godfather 2 come to mind).

Gilbert managed to take very different path (instead of just milking money with more of the same), by changing the theme from fantasy to surrealism and nihilism, move that was so brave and ingenious that I consider Monkey Island 2 a perfect adventure game.
Although I understand that the Secret would definitely perform better commercially as it’s more suitable for wider audience.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

VoodooDerina - 17 June 2020 07:31 PM
Jdawg445 - 17 June 2020 06:56 PM

First 3, sorry didnt clarify. I think gilbert didnt understand what made his own original game good. I also hate thimbleweed weed/twin peaks park.

I, on the contrary, think that it was “one in a million” hit for a sequel to outperform already perfect original (Emprie Stirkes Back and Godfather 2 come to mind).

Gilbert managed to take very different path (instead of just milking money with more of the same), by changing the theme from fantasy to surrealism and nihilism, move that was so brave and ingenious that I consider Monkey Island 2 a perfect adventure game.
Although I understand that the Secret would definitely perform better commercially as it’s more suitable for wider audience.

Agree to disagree. Its like gremlins and gremlins 2. I get what the director was doing with gremlins 2 but still a miss for me.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

- The famous Old Man Murray article is almost complete nonsense with a bad thesis.

- The Ron Gilbert “Why Adventure Games Suck” article is also overrated (some consider this a bit of a sacred text).

- Adventure games are almost never funny, especially Monkey Island (I’ve just replayed part 1 for the first time in decades). LSL is one of my favorite series, and when I finally replay them (it’s been 17 years) I expect to still like them a lot, but I seriously doubt I’m going to find them “funny”.

- MI was never one of my favorite series. On my recent replay of SoMI I certainly did recognize the overall greatness of the design, but it still doesn’t quite all click into place for me because of how terrible I find the style of humor and, more importantly, the overall aesthetic.

Largely agree with all of this. There are probably exceptions for me, and it would depend how we’re defining “story”. 7-9 especially are why I argue for Sierra over LucasArts, because I far preferred the Sierra aesthetic to the LA one.

(This all being said, I still rank MI2 in my top 5 due largely to the sprawling puzzle design. I’ll be replaying in the very near future so we’ll see.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top