• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Gabriel Knight 1 Remake. I really like this game. Much improved graphics over the original. I do hope we get more of these, but I know the chances of this are pretty slim.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Mikekelly - 29 April 2020 09:04 AM

I just finished Gabriel Knight 1 Remake. I really like this game. Much improved over the original. I do hope we get more of these, but I know the chances of this are pretty slim.

Heart

Is that the one with dreadful shiny graphics and no Tim Curry, Mark Hamill or Michael Dorn?  Meh

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s the one. All that is true, it’s too bad the remake was done by an indie studio on a budget. I enjoyed the remake, but it is a budget title that is far from perfect.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played the original - a great game but I’ve also played the remake which is also a great game made by a very competent development studio.
I’m with MikeKelly in that I think that the remake is an improvement over the original graphically but personally I think it did a great job with the story also!  Smile

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I know I’m in the minority but I actually like the remake more. a lot of changes made the game Flow better. I also prefer the new cast for the most part.I never liked Tim Curry in the role, his southern accent is atrocious. Im from Georgia and he did not sound Cajun or Southern or Louisiana at all.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I know I’m in the minority but I actually like the remake more. a lot of changes made the game Flow better. I also prefer the new cast for the most part.I never liked Tim Curry in the role, his southern accent is atrocious. Im from Georgia and he did not sound Cajun or Southern or Louisiana at all.

I have the original also. Of three original games, this one would benefit the most from a graphics update and I also like the remake more.

According to wiki, the Gabriel Knight games were never huge sellers, about 100,000 copies each which is not huge. We are lucky to get the remake that we did. It also was not a huge seller, so the chances of a Gabriel Knight 4 are pretty slim.

Heart

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 April 2020 01:16 PM

I am born and raised in Texas, and you’re right!  Tim Curry’s Louisiana accent is atrocious, but he gets an A+ for effort, and because he’s Tim Curry, and I love him!
I mean he kind of just is the same character no matter who is he trying to play.  Muppet Treasure island, rocky horror, Clue, Gabriel Knight basically sounds the same as all of them. 

However, I feel bad that we haven’t mentioned the amazing performance by Leah Remini.  I think she’s great in everything, but you can tell in the “Making of” video, that she’s just thinking like, “WTF am I doing here?  I need to kill my agent.”

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Mikekelly - 30 April 2020 10:32 AM

According to wiki, the Gabriel Knight games were never huge sellers, about 100,000 copies each which is not huge. We are lucky to get the remake that we did.

There’s nothing “lucky” about it.
It’s an inferior attempt in every possible way.

That in itself might be somehow excused, but “Pinkerton Road” Kickstarter campaign promised to deliver two new games. The second one never happened, instead the higher level backers who were supposed to get two games, got Moebius and Gabriel Knight remake.
I’m surprised Jane Jensen got away with so little criticism with not delivering what was promised.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Gabriel Knight 1 Remake did get a score of 4.5 here on this site. I have to agree with that score also. True, lower than the original score of 5.0, but still a solid score.

Not everyone liked the game and I understand that completely.

I also finished Little Misfortune which I also really enjoyed. It was one of the darkest and most disturbing games I have ever played. Killmonday says their sales are very good, so I’m looking forward to more games from them.

Not everyone liked the game and I REALLY understand that completely with this game.

Heart

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Perhaps not a huge coincidence in this period of worldwide lockdown that 2 very similar games came out at the same time - The Flower Collectors and Fire Escape. The idea of both is straight from the Hitchcockian “Rear Window” scenario where you are basically stuck in one place and watching things happening outside your apartment.

The Flower Collectors had a great setting and plot and a lot of heart, but was crying out for what Fire Escape had, which is detail. Characters moving like real people instead of cartoon props, and lots of things happening at once, giving you the feeling you are really there watching things happening instead of watching an orchestrated pre-recorded play. I’m sure the developers knew this, which is why they gave everyone animal bodies - cute idea, but really just a cover-up for the game’s technical deficiencies.

I liked both games, and for such a similar concept it’s surprising how different they are (aside from them both being quite short). The Flower Collectors wants to tell a story, and does a good enough job at it, with some endearing characters, while Fire Escape is more interested in the experience and does far better as a compelling - albeit at times too overdramatic for my tastes - eavesdropping sim.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished “I have no mouth and I must Scream.” I can now see why this game has won so many awards, it is simply amazing. Very different from any other game I have played. Not for everyone, the amount of gore in this game is shocking. But, if you like horror games, it’s among the very best.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly:  Yeah it’s one of the games that got me into adventure gaming as an adult.

Also, I recommend the short story.  You can find the full text online just with a google search, and you can read it in probably 10 minutes (I’m a particularly slow reader).

The reason I recommend playing the game AND reading the story is because they really expand each other.  Characters are fleshed out very little in the story but Gorrister’s shoulder-shrugging attitude is explained somewhat.  The game puts a whole new appreciation on Ellen’s role in the story, and story reveals that Benny was gay, although, I couldn’t really find any reference to that in the game.  Nimdok is heavily shrouded in secrecy in the story, so I think Ellison wanted to clarify some of his experience in the game.  Even Ted who is so paranoid in the story, that part of his experience is replaced with his womanizing attitude.

The ending to the game/story are vastly different.  I won’t spoil it, but you can infact get the “I have no mouth” ending where he says the final line from the story.  How you get that ending is kind of obtuse, and doesn’t really reference the game at all.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I just finished Gemini Rue, a truly great game. The ending was heart breaking. A few action sequences were difficult to do, but I got through them. I can’t recommend this game enough.

Heart

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2020-01-24

PM

I just finished The Walking Dead and I’m not okay. Great story, not a whole lot of adventuring, but a fun game overall.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Mikekelly:  Gemini Rue is on the short list of games for me to play next.  But it might have to wait til I beat whispers.  I’m really excited to try it out now that you enjoyed yourself.  I notice we like a lot of the same games.

Taco:  I have yet to play those games.  They look kind of fun, but I think those are the ones mostly about making choices right?  My dad got really into the TV show, and I was tempted to get into the game, but it looks like a whole different set of characters.  Maybe they will bundle all the chapters together to 1 game.

Speaking of bundles…

I beat Blackwell Epiphany last night before bed!

I’m so happy to beat it, and yet the ending is really sad.  I won’t say much about it, other than the series really feels like 1 game.  I think in terms of cohesiveness, that’s incredibly impressive, since (according to gog) the releases were spaced out.  It really feels like all 5 blackwells, should just be one mega game, and it would be very similar to the Unavowed.

I was so happy to see Auntie Lauren again!  Now I desperately need a Joey Mallone game where you just go around and call women sweetheart and give puzzled looks at computers, and guess whether or not something is a ‘phone’

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top