• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielLadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gabriel Knight 4 Petition is Online

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

So… 2,410 have signed. The petition needs 90 more to get to 2,500.

Does this mean Jane will have to get working on a new GK soon? Grin

(I really have no idea what it means, I’m a newbie when it comes to petitions)

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It means basically nothing. At the moment the a amount of signatures is too small to sway the current rights holder on one direction or other.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The issue is sales. Due to low sales of the Gabriel Knight remake, Pinkerton Road is not making any more games. Too bad, I liked their games. Any kind of game they would put out right now I would gladly play, especially Gray Matter 2.

So, the good news is the petition shows Activision there is still interest. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Activision funded an AAA release on PS5 and PC for Gabriel Knight 4?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah… and the kings quest episodic game… armed with great graphics and celebrity voice acting.. didnt seem to move the needle on sales. What hope is there for GK? I dont want to have a negative outlook on this but thats where we are.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Fuck sales. Activision will make a Gabriel Knight 4 because:
1) The fans want it.
2) It’s the right thing to do.
3) It will allow Jane Jensen and team a creative outlet.
4) The schattenjaeger can make the world a better place.

That’s my post-corona outlook, anyway, with CEOs around the world transformed from vampiric creatures of darkness to beings of compassion, light and love.  Heart

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sorry to break this to you Donuts, but sales is the #1 thing Activision is looking at. The current amount of signatures tells them only that GK4, tied to poor sales of remake, would be a risky venture not worth taking. Not with their money at least.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Exactly that and even when not looking at sales, 2500 signatures won’t even capture a nano-second of their attention. You need hundreds of thousands if not millions to convince them there is an actual market out there that is worth investing in.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The adventure game genre is at an interesting place right now, We have games like Detroit Became Human which is obviously an AAA game sell in many millions of copies and retailed for $59.99 a copy when first released and we have indies like Killmonday saying they have excellent sales.

The in between are reporting poor sales and studio closures. This will make a GK 4 at best a very risky project. There is no way Activision would fund GK 4 for the budget of Detroit Became Human. Would the fans be Ok with an indie developer on an indie budget doing the game?

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Realistically we’d have to settle for an indie tier experience, production wise. I think even something like Beyond a Steel Sky or Dreamfall Chapters would be asking for a lot. Although, I’d love for that to happen.

I think as long as the writing, VO and game design are strong I’d take just about any level of production value.

At this point even getting the game at all is a long shot.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Donuts McGee - 01 May 2020 10:12 AM

Fuck sales. Activision will make a Gabriel Knight 4 because:
1) The fans want it.

No, they don’t.
Pinkerton Road Kickstarter had 5,836 backers. This petition has only 2,414 signatures, even though it has been running four months, in other words, longer than one business quarter.

If anything, it shows that fans are losing their interest in Jane Jensen games, although that can be counter-argued with fans not knowing about the petition, and fans thinking petitions won’t make any difference at all, both which are probably true.

But even if you add those Kickstarter backers and petition signers together, that’s probably the number of die hard fans at this point, and that’s not enough for making any commercial game at all which involves major companies.

2) It’s the right thing to do.

Why?
Activision has never had anything to do with those games in the first place.
If we are talking about things which would be morally right for Activision to do, how about restarting Infocom as a unit? Or something like that.

3) It will allow Jane Jensen and team a creative outlet.

Quite the opposite.
She has herself created GK universe, and after three games there are things which are locked into place, and there’s very little room to maneuvre. On the other hand, if she were to create that second Pinkerton Road game which was promised, but never happened, she would have a chance to create whatever she wants. There was something called “Anglophile Adventure” but I can no longer find what kind of a concept that was supposed to be.

4) The schattenjaeger can make the world a better place.

That’s my post-corona outlook, anyway, with CEOs around the world transformed from vampiric creatures of darkness to beings of compassion, light and love.  Heart

With the ridiculous ending of GK3, there’s absolutely no way the story could go anywhere from there. Admittedly, they could be doing some vampire stuff, but after what happened in the last game, would that really matter? She painted the whole series into a corner from where any escape will be unsatisfactory.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Okay, let’s pretend I was 100% serious with my post Smile

GateKeeper - 02 May 2020 03:03 AM

With the ridiculous ending of GK3, there’s absolutely no way the story could go anywhere from there. Admittedly, they could be doing some vampire stuff, but after what happened in the last game, would that really matter? She painted the whole series into a corner from where any escape will be unsatisfactory.

Are you talking about the vision? I don’t see that as a corner, and besides, Jane already set up a sequel by having Grace head off to Tibet. Plenty of mysteries to uncover there. And frankly, I don’t care about the story. Jane’s material has always been ridiculous, supernatural B-romance pulp trash - albeit well-enough written and entertaining, for a game.

I think you’re maybe mistaking the GK diehard fans for the majority who won’t even remember the GK3 ending and who won’t care no matter where the story goes.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think instead of asking for GK4, a GK3 remake project would be more feasible.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Donuts McGee - 02 May 2020 04:04 AM

I think you’re maybe mistaking the GK diehard fans for the majority who won’t even remember the GK3 ending and who won’t care no matter where the story goes.

Here is really your biggest problem. A 4th GK game after a decade or two would make new players just question the sense of buying the 4th chapter for a game they know nothing of. Casual fans would be perplexed of what happened before, die-hards would most likely be disappointed for the story not matching their expectations and new players would skip it altogether because there are 3 other games to play before it.

But the way I see it, the reception of the remake provided some insight towards the possibilities of the series. They are slim to none.

In the end, Jensen would be better off working new material. True enough, Moebius was a clunker of a game, but it also was the one pitch of her three possible games she made during the KS that she was the least enthusiastic about. It just won because it happened to feel like Gabriel Knight the most.

I think I voted Moebius as well because of that, but on hindsight, I do recall thinking Anglophile Adventure being the more interesting one of the trio (3rd proposal being Grey Matter 2). Here’s the story description of it I managed to fish out:

THE STORY:
Evangeline learns that her beloved Little Nidd
Farm is in desperate financial straits following
her father’s death. She finds a threatening letter
from the local Viscountess among her father’s
papers and decides to apply for a governess
position at the great estate. She’s determined to
get to the heart of the ominous-sounding secret
mentioned in the letter.

There’s one big problem—the Viscountess’
son, Lord Devenham, is a notorious rake who
would surely eat a girl like Evangeline alive. So
Evangeline disguises herself as a dowdy frump
in order to keep him at bay while she does her
clandestine investigating.

The great estate of Chunkwith is filled with
intriguing characters. From the maudlin, deathobsessed
housekeeper, to the buttoned-up Viscountess’ elder
daughter, to the bratty grandchildren Evangeline
has to teach, to the Viscountess herself, the great,
predatory ruler of the roost who micro-manages everyone’s
life with the worst possible outcomes.

It’s up to Evangeline to set the household
to rights, dodge the Viscountess’ bullets and
find out what ghosts in the family’s closet had
something to do with her father. Meanwhile, the
Viscountess’ son finds something he’s never
had before—a friendship with a governess too
wretchedly homely to be worth seducing.
Sex, scandal, ghosts and lies abound in this
historical mystery/romance set in the Cotswolds
in Regency England.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

tomimt - 02 May 2020 02:11 PM

I think I voted Moebius as well because of that, but on hindsight, I do recall thinking Anglophile Adventure being the more interesting one of the trio (3rd proposal being Grey Matter 2). Here’s the story description of it I managed to fish out:

THE STORY:
Evangeline learns that her beloved Little Nidd
Farm is in desperate financial straits following
her father’s death. She finds a threatening letter
from the local Viscountess among her father’s
papers and decides to apply for a governess
position at the great estate. She’s determined to
get to the heart of the ominous-sounding secret
mentioned in the letter.

There’s one big problem—the Viscountess’
son, Lord Devenham, is a notorious rake who
would surely eat a girl like Evangeline alive. So
Evangeline disguises herself as a dowdy frump
in order to keep him at bay while she does her
clandestine investigating.

The great estate of Chunkwith is filled with
intriguing characters. From the maudlin, deathobsessed
housekeeper, to the buttoned-up Viscountess’ elder
daughter, to the bratty grandchildren Evangeline
has to teach, to the Viscountess herself, the great,
predatory ruler of the roost who micro-manages everyone’s
life with the worst possible outcomes.

It’s up to Evangeline to set the household
to rights, dodge the Viscountess’ bullets and
find out what ghosts in the family’s closet had
something to do with her father. Meanwhile, the
Viscountess’ son finds something he’s never
had before—a friendship with a governess too
wretchedly homely to be worth seducing.
Sex, scandal, ghosts and lies abound in this
historical mystery/romance set in the Cotswolds
in Regency England.

Thanks for posting that description of Anglophile Adventure. The only description I remember seeing was much shorter, though it was the game I voted for. A Gray Matter 2 would have been my second choice since GK4 was not a possibility.

Moebius had a cool concept art picture, but the story sounded like something I’d already played before so I wasn’t really interested. Then the art in the final game turned out to be nowhere near as interesting as in the concept art.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Personally I don’t want any more remakes, Jane wasted enough time making GK1 remake, casual games, no games at all. Just let her make a new adventure, invest her talent into something grand and fresh. Gabriel Knight 4, Gray Matter 2, Moebius 2, Anglophile Adventure, some gay adventure based on her novels - I really don’t care at this point.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top