• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kentucky Route Zero - an unofficial community play-through

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Pegbiter - 17 April 2020 08:48 PM
Celebreon - 16 April 2020 09:12 PM

I was kind of surprised by conway’s willingness to accept the entrapment scheme of the distillery or whatever that place was.  It seems he is willing to make up excuses as to why he should accept an unfair debt, simply so he can have a place he belogs.  Conway is middle aged, and he is on the last day of his job. It seems he just wants somewhere to belong.  That he doesn’t want to put effort in to making a new place for himself in the world.  Or maybe he’s afraid of feeling lost.
Do any of you have other theories on why Conway is willing to go back there?

I also found it weird that he instantly accepted that he had to do this. Perhaps it’s a combination of wanting to feel like he has a purpose and usually just going with the flow.

Oh in my mind that made sense: everything changed when he took that drink at the factory. His tone changed, the way he talked… Once he accepted that drink his will and resolve were gone and he was never going to complete the journey.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Is this thread done? People stopped posting.

I was reading a few reviews of the game and saw references to ‘dialogue choices’. For me, one of the nifty things about KRZ is that the choices are not dialogue choices, they are in the 1st episode but somewhere along the line you become kind of like a director or God, choosing what actually happens in the story. It’s very different from the basic adventurre game dialogue system and I don’t think I’ve seen this in a game before.

I thought this would have been discussed already but couldn’t find it in the thread. Sorry if I missed it.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Grue22 - 29 April 2020 08:40 AM

Is this thread done? People stopped posting.

Some participants haven’t finished the game yet, so I guess you could say that the thread is hibernating.

Grue22 - 29 April 2020 08:40 AM

I was reading a few reviews of the game and saw references to ‘dialogue choices’. For me, one of the nifty things about KRZ is that the choices are not dialogue choices, they are in the 1st episode but somewhere along the line you become kind of like a director or God, choosing what actually happens in the story. It’s very different from the basic adventurre game dialogue system and I don’t think I’ve seen this in a game before.

I got the impression that the choices add flavor rather than affect the story in any big way.

There must be examples of modern interactive fiction where players control events not through a playable character but as something larger?

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well I can’t think of another game that had this “shifting perspective” constantly going on.. where every other second you were choosing which person was saying something. It didn’t have huge impact. But it was pretty different.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

zane - 29 April 2020 07:03 PM

Well I can’t think of another game that had this “shifting perspective” constantly going on.. where every other second you were choosing which person was saying something. It didn’t have huge impact. But it was pretty different.

I think it does have a pretty huge impact, actually. It shifts the perspective away from the single character as a “doer”, and into the position of a kind of narrator. The player is free to explore different avenues, such as what does character A think about this, or what would happen if B did that? Being able to shift the tone of a whole scene by dictating the characters thoughts or words is a stepping back from occupying a single body-mind and into the scene as something larger and less definable, a will that encompasses more than an individual unit.

I am fond of this approach and I would like to see more games put the player into positions of influence which aren’t strictly linked to “doer of a single character’s actions”. I can think of some others - some of the Amanita games, Botanicula especially. There, you are more like a force of nature, and clicking on a flower or bees-nest causes it to do something, and it isn’t (but sometimes is) the characters interacting with it. So there is a lot of room for different approaches.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I should say I don’t think it impacted the content of events much, it’s impact for how the audience feels is definitely different.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t finished KR0 yet. I will post again when I have.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top