• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

‘Outer Wilds’ - this exploration/mystery/puzzle game looks amazing, has anyone here played it?

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

This game look amazing, here’s a fairly spoiler free review:

The only thing preventing me from buying it is the fact that the PC version (also available on Xbox One) is only (at the moment) available via the awful Epic Games Store. Hopefully it will come to Steam and GOG in a few months.

Has anyone here played it? What did you think?

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2015-07-23

PM

That’s hardly a spoiler free review. (It even says “kind of spoiler free” right there in the thumbnail)

You should go into the game as blind as possible, as the whole point of the game is the exploration and discovery. That video spoils a lot of that.

And it is a wonderful game, you should play it.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2004-04-08

PM

Haven’t played it yet but I’ve heard so many wonderful things about it that it seems like something I should play before the end of the year.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Outer Wilds as gaming sites deliberate their GOTY picks for 2019. Has anyone played it and, if so, what are your thoughts?

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m a bit hesitant towards the way the Epic store works right now so I’ll probably wait for the game to be released elsewhere before buying. I think the way the Epic store works (at least at the moment) is another step away from consumer control over purchased games. And the layout of the site is a joke.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

There are 2 aspects of the game that kill it for me:
1. Save system is horrendous. I spent over an hour and made some progress, then exited the game thinking it would autosave (there is no save option) and then found that I had to start from the beginning.
2. The navigation in space. Let’s just say if you have motion sickness, forget about it. I don’t get motion sickness and it is extremely clunky to orient yourself and your ship and go where you want to go. If they had just made a simple point-and-click map of the solar system, that would have been so much better.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve played a little bit of Outer Wilds. It is a superb exploration game that requires a good grasp of basic physics notions to solve its puzzles and even better spatial representation skills to move around. Unfortunatly I’m not talented at either. I still enjoyed what I’ve played of it, and will return to it in the future. Perhaps it would be better with a controller? Also I think I couldn’t find a way to customise keyboard controls, my French azerty layout making moving around even wonkier.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I’m fine with most aspects of the game including the physics, but the timed nature of the game is ruining it for me. Every expedition is essentially a race and you need to be quick because you know you’ll die soon. There is one part where (and I don’t consider this a spoiler) you have to race through an underground maze to get to a large cavern with lots to explore there, and once you do get there you only have a few minutes to explore before dying. Which means you need to repeat the whole process again and again, including launching your rocket to get there. It gives me a headache just thinking about it.

It would be wonderful if it weren’t for the Groundhog Day mechanism. I’ve spent hours in the game and still don’t see any need for it - I’m sure the story will tell me why eventually, but I also sure they could have given us a better game without it.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

A) If you haven’t played this game, do not read anything about it. Being unspoiled and learning the core story and mechanic of it blew my mind in a way that I haven’t felt about a game is a very long time.

B) Saying that loop mechanic is needless is so absurd it’s painful. It’s completely central to the entire narrative of the game, and the purpose of that narrative. It ties the entire thing together and creates an incredible urgency and hopelessness and awe and excitement all at the same time, that very few games achieve. It makes you literally grapple with the physical nature of the universe.

C) This is one of the best and most unique game experiences I’ve had maybe forever. There’s nothing like it. I didn’t even know what genre it was going to be exactly, but I was so delighted to find out that it gives the feeling of exploring and making you feel like a genius the way only the smartest adventure games do. Insane design.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I tried this game since it was getting so many accolades and on paper the idea seemed interesting but the loop mechanic just kills it for me as well. I wanted to like it because everything else about it is up my alley, but I just couldn’t deal with that mechanic.

cyfoyjvx expressed my same exact frustration, of just racing somewhere and trying to do or uncover as much as possible in a short period and then having to start from the start again? No thanks! Embarassed I like/need to pace myself when it comes to exploration. I thought about just watching a playthrough but I’ve been holding myself in case I decide to give it another try.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

RockNFknRoll - 26 April 2020 04:49 AM

B) Saying that loop mechanic is needless is so absurd it’s painful. It’s completely central to the entire narrative of the game, and the purpose of that narrative. It ties the entire thing together and creates an incredible urgency and hopelessness and awe and excitement all at the same time, that very few games achieve. It makes you literally grapple with the physical nature of the universe.

I can think of many ways they could have done those things without the tedious repeating of traveling to the same places over and over again. I mean, imagine if the Groundhog Day movie showed Bill Murray walking and driving to the same locations for most of its runtime. I wouldn’t call that “insane design”. I’d call it boring.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top